• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

airsickness prognosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketsizejesus

Do the chickens have large talons?
I understand it's probably too early to draw any conclusions, but I just totally bombed FAM 1 due to an ridiculous amount of air sickness in the last part of the flight. I was fine for the first half, but then it just hit me like a rock. We didn't even do anything that radical. IP had the controls, and did nothing more than a 75 degree angle of bank turn. Not long after, I got hit HARD with nausea. I was able to pay attention for a few runs through the pattern, but within about 5-10 minutes of onset of symptoms, I was basically done for. It was all I could do to set the UHF to the channels the IP asked for, and to make the necessary replies as the IP performed the landing checklist. The flight was incomplete due to airsickness and I couldn't even get out of the aircraft for like 5 minutes after shutdown. I've had motion sickness before (not often), but I've always recovered mental focus after hurling. Not so, this time.

So here's the question: Is there anyone out there that got hammered this bad on FAM 1 and eventually recovered? Any motivational stories/ideas would be much appreciated. I don't want to freak out over this and have it ruin my later flights.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's FAM 1.

Suck it up, study hard, and see what happens. If it happens again, and you know your stuff cold, your On-Wing should do the right thing and support sending you to spin-n-puke. Puke your guts out in the machine (do they still play "Master of Puppets"?) and push through. I knew guys who puked on 75% of their T-34 hops who still got winged. Mind over matter, man.

bart27

The one time I felt sick was during cruise forms when I failed to eat anything for breakfast. I was always better off at the controls vs riding shotgun when it came to motion sickness. I know of an individual who has over 1000 hrs and got sick on FAM 1. Don't worry. Stay calm. If not at the controls, remember to breath and keep your eyes outside...sounds stupid, but it helps. Stay hydrated now that the weather is getting warmer. I also kept a large ziplock bag in my arm pocket b/c it was easy to reach if needed and the bags they give you are worthless. My .02.

beau

dude, I would have puked on my fam-1 if I had not told my IP to "knock it off". I got sick a couple of times during primary....dont sweat it...dont let it be a mental barrier. I would say a huge contributing factor is all that crap you have to wear when you go flying...and a crapy AC. If you start getting sick..knock it off......take a couple of puffs of O2 and see how it goes from there. I know I guy who puked every flight all the way until his check ride and he is flying jets now.....so really it is all about getting used to it.....it really is half mental I believe. Power on man!

Jedj

its not uncommon, it happened to me as well, if I can remember correctly. the biggest thing is to not let it get in your head on the next flight. its all about acclimating(sp?) to a new environment. dont sweat it. I think I had a harder time with the T-34 than I did with the two jets ive flown. ginger helps, so does bread, but whatever you do dont fly on an empty stomach. Most people get used to it really quick. I cant remember primary that well but I think it was not at all rare to see various people getting the spits. good luck.

Reactions: bch

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I got sick on my FAM 1, too. It was a pretty bumpy day, there was traffic everywhere, AND it was the one time I didn't eat before a flight. Just finished up my PAs here in Corpus, and I almost made my instructor puke after my combo maneuver on my last safe-for-solo flight. Some people do the same thing they tell you to do if you're prone to sea sickness and eat a metric sh!t-ton of saltines to soak up the stomach juices. Personally, I just eat a good meal before I brief, and it usually works out pretty nicely.

beau

sounds werid, but eat a big juicy hamburger.....You would think it would make the sit. worst....but by god it works.....something about grease or something...also some people say that drinking water will make them puke, but for me my camel back was key...if nothing else it takes you mind of away from hurling when you are sucking on that tube....remember.....you have to mentaly block it out as much as posible.

The Empty stomach thing is absolutly balls on True!!! you can not go on an empty stomach....actually the oppisite is true...eat a huge Subway sandwich like an hour before the flight...I personally had a thing going where I would eat a Roast beef footlong with ligh mayo (greese factor....i swear to God I dont know what it is about it!) an hour before an afternoon flight....oh and a PB powerbar and gatorate....I know this might sound stupid, but obvioulsy be hydrated for you flights as well, drink water the night before (and dont spank the monkey!) ........dont start chuggin water 20 mintues before you flight cause then you get the sloshing in the stomach...a precurser to the big PURGE! or you will have to piss half way through your flight!

Dude, this was one thing I was deathly afraid of when I started primary (cause my two T-34 rides on summer First Class ROTC cruise I blew chunks!). I had like 200 hours civ. flying but that could not prepare me for Primary in regards to Airsickness....the only thing you can do is get acclamated....it is the only way..IMHO! You will find out what makes you sick and what does not.....me personally it was Spins and Alerion Rolls....more so Spins because as soon as you stop spinning you have to perform like a 2-3 g pull out and you head is still spinning......So during my PA's I would always do them Last (even though you it says to do them first)...just ask the instrutor. They would rather get the X then have to come back early because you got sick....so they are usually willing to it last. I actually loved doing spins....just hated the feeling I got after I recovered them....but again....over time...you just adapt! YOu have to force yourself to be Mentally strong! "I WILL NOT PUKE!"

One more thing....TAKE THE CONTROLS if you start getting quesy! It is the best thing to do to take you mind off of it! and solves the problem of not being albe to anticipate what A/C is going to do...
my Fam-1 was on June 5th(i think) of 04 in Corpus last year.....Temp. 105 degrees....OUCH!! That is where the hydration comes in!...ah enough blabing! you'll figure it out.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Dude, you're going to puke. That's the way it goes in fams. I puked every time for the first 10 flights I had. It sucked. But I was able to function. If you know your stuff and it is still a problem, they will send you to spin and puke. I only know of one guy who was attrited because of puking and that's because he wasn't functional. And, by the way, now that I have flown two other airplanes, I can say that I never puked more than in the mighty T-34. Just hang in there and you'll be fine.

dufault.2

beau said:
sounds werid, but eat a big juicy hamburger.....You would think it would make the sit. worst....but by god it works.....something about grease or something...

Eating something=definitely a good idea. Eating a big greasy hamburger? Beau-is this a set up or something? (I wouldn't put it past you vt-9 guys...hehehe).

Cliff bar, oatmeal, peanut butter on wheat. Complex carbs are the way to go to keep your shi-ite zipped up. No pork burritos on your out and in to Florala.

BTW-the amount of info FAM 1 studs retain about the pattern is probably about the same whether you were heads up or heads down. You won't get behind by getting sick on a couple flights as long as you're still in the books. Good luck bro.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
A lot of it is a comfort factor. You're not used to flying. You're not used to flying in a small plane. You're not used to flying with a lot of sh!t on and strapped in like Keanu Reeves in the Matrix.

Once you get comfy in the plane and you cage your brain to the idea that "OK, if the stick goes this way, the body will feel like this", then it won't be so bad. But as long as your brain, eyes, and inner ears will be telling each other 'what the f#$% is going on?!?' it'll be some pain.

I know people who spend their first 5 flights throwing up the whole time, takeoff to landing... then suddenly, it just didn't affect them anymore.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
It takes time thats for sure. I got sick on FAM-1 in the T-34, and then between primary and advanced, I had like 2.5 months of not flying. I got a back seat ride in a T-45 and it made me pretty queasy then. You really just have to be constantly acclamated. I am flying alot now and I haven't had any problems, even on the somewhat dynamic flights.

beau

grunge said:
Eating something=definitely a good idea. Eating a big greasy hamburger? Beau-is this a set up or something? (I wouldn't put it past you vt-9 guys...hehehe).

Cliff bar, oatmeal, peanut butter on wheat. Complex carbs are the way to go to keep your shi-ite zipped up. No pork burritos on your out and in to Florala.

BTW-the amount of info FAM 1 studs retain about the pattern is probably about the same whether you were heads up or heads down. You won't get behind by getting sick on a couple flights as long as you're still in the books. Good luck bro.

I remember doing the Corpus Two Step Out and In (aka NGP to CRP and back to NGP...I hated them because it was a waste of an out an in to stay local)
......anyway after we landed at CRP we drove out to robs town for some BBQ (cant remember the name of the place).....I remembered thinking twice about eating all these greasy ribs and brisket.....but my On-wing said, "no man you should definiatly eat the greasy stuff.....helps keeps the chunks down" (or something to that effect)....so got back, hopped in the plane took off proceeded to do a PA flight....didnt have any problems........worked for me!....

now for my old salt sea story :D ........when I was on my 1st class cruise at the Tomcat RAG...I was to get a T-34 ride....so I ate some ramen actually during the brief (only thing I ate all day :( )......then LT "Popeye" Doyle proceed to put that T-34 through tha paces(squirrel cage)....well I made it through the loop, but half way through the half cuben I proceed to blow all of that Ramen into the barf bag :eek: ...and I actually was thinking to my self....hey....this is pretty Friggin awesome that I'm Inverted and Puking and because of the G's it was like I was upright! :icon_tong

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Prognosis: Death.

Nah, I wouldn't worry about it. I would emphasize beau's point about being mentally strong... if you puke, and then you feel better, you'll be more likely to puke on your next flight, since your body is thinking puking = feeling better, even though consciously you know you don't want to puke. If, god forbid, you're sent off to the spin-n-puke, you'll get this point drilled into you until it a) sinks in or b) you attrite for "failure to aeronautically adapt." But that won't happen, and you'll be good to go. Might even make a good story for your tie cutting.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
I puked during FAM 1. No biggie. Just gave my onwing something to brag about hehe. We have people that have puked 4-5 times and they're still here.

Everyone here has the right idea. Try eating, try not eating, BRING WATER and DRINK IT during the flight. The IP WILL take the controls if you say you want a drink of water. Also try putting the AC on blast at your face no matter how cold you may think it is. That helped me a alot. Pretty much the more u fly the better you will start feeling. Hang in there and you'll be fine. I'm getting ready to start RIs now and I'm still here.

Peace,

-Spin

Pags

N/A
pilot
Don't worry about bombing Fam 1. It's an ungraded event. The whole point of the first 4 fams is to get you acclimated...which means you might puke. I had a friend who I think ate nothing but ginger through primary...ginger snaps, ginger ale, ginger beer (nasty stuff). I've always heard that eating greasy food is not the way to go, and like someone else said, complex carbs. Don't eat right before you walk either. But, for right now, don't sweat it, it's Fam 1. Just study your procedures and systems and I guarantee you that you'll see the pattern a few more times.

Status
Not open for further replies.