• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airsickness and Helos

torpedo0126

I know this has been addressed many times in this forum and is an ongooing problem for some. My wife has a serious problem with motion sickness and as a result I have to sit while she drives and she makes me a nervous wreck.
Several years ago she tried the "Relief Band" which looks like a wrist watch, cost between $70-125 depending on where you get it (ebay?) With it she can ride roller coasters, skydive, fly in helicopters, airplanes, boats and not a problem.

Have one...doesn't help at all. Perhaps I am not wearing it correctly although I believe I am...however, I do know that when I turn it up to levels 4 & 5 it causes my hand to flex involuntarily.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Come fly in the back of my plane...sideways, with the smell of CADS wafting by...no windows...and some Jackass 3P who doesn't like coordinated turns (me) at the controls...better than any acro...

I'll grant you that sitting in the back of a big military aircraft is something I've never done, but I've been in airliners during all sorts of "bad" wx, and nothing related so nauseated yet.

CLOSEST I've ever come to being nauseated was in primary, when we were stacked up at the runway hold-short, waiting for an F-16 to execute a precautionary landing 30 miles out.

After 10 minutes of sitting behind 2 T-34s, a T-44 and a C-12, spitting out jet-fuel exhaust, I began to feel "hot" and restless, but 30 seconds with my mask's O-2 on 100% and I was good to go. It was more probably the effects of literally inhaling CO than nausea associated with motion sickness (since we had no.... motion).

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The big problem in helos is usually vibration, not manuevering. If you get sick in a car, you might get sick in a helo, but assuming it's the manuevering in Primary that's making you sick, I wouldn't worry.

Helo passengers often get sick, though. Usually it's on flights where the aircraft is buttoned up. Those who aren't opposite a window tend to lose it sometimes. When people can't see windows or out the ramp for orientation, they aren't comfortable. I'm guessing that's why some get sick on a C-2 as well.

busdriver

None
It's interesting the differences between what you guys see and what I've seen.

Whenever I've taken pax out on fam flights (full tactical profile) and shot, one will almost always get sick. Usually at least a couple back end students will get sick in every initial qual class at Kirtland. Most co-pilot students have it out of their system by the time they get to the school house however.

I tend to think it's the experience level not the airframe that results in most people being good to go after primary.

But hey, just one scarf wearing AF guy's opinion!

torpedo0126

The big problem in helos is usually vibration, not manuevering. If you get sick in a car, you might get sick in a helo, but assuming it's the manuevering in Primary that's making you sick, I wouldn't worry.

Helo passengers often get sick, though. Usually it's on flights where the aircraft is buttoned up. Those who aren't opposite a window tend to lose it sometimes. When people can't see windows or out the ramp for orientation, they aren't comfortable. I'm guessing that's why some get sick on a C-2 as well.

there are several things that get me sick quickly: 1) instructor flying 2) aggressive climbs, >20˚ where I lose sight of the ground 3) negative Gs and 4) multiple touch and go's in the pattern.

Again, don't mean to be whining, just when any of the above occur the nausea sets in almost instantly.

I don't get sick in a car and I felt fine in the SH-60 so I am hoping the 57 will be nice to me (assuming I select helos). Thanks again for the advice!

KBayDog

Helo passengers often get sick, though. Usually it's on flights where the aircraft is buttoned up. Those who aren't opposite a window tend to lose it sometimes. When people can't see windows or out the ramp for orientation, they aren't comfortable.

In your Osprey experience, has that been a problem? Still have never tubed in one, but just from the tour, it seems a little confined.

Not too big of a problem for Phrog pax, mainly because of what you mentioned: The pax have plenty of outside view. Agreed - the vibes/chop tend to create the most pukers.

I've only had a few pukers as pax. As a rule, I try to make the ride as benign as possible, because 1. I don't want puke on my bird, and 2. I don't want the pax to be miserable. Call me sappy, but I want the pax to enjoy their flight as much as possible - for some, it may be the only helicopter ride of their lives. Why make it suck? Also, if we're inserting troops, they've got a hard enough job when they get to the LZ - they don't need to be fighting off nausea on top of it.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll grant you that sitting in the back of a big military aircraft is something I've never done, but I've been in airliners during all sorts of "bad" wx, and nothing related so nauseated yet.

Difference being, you were sitting forward, doing nothing. Sit forward and/or sideways running radios/scopes/cameras, stand up slinging, programming and loading buoys, or God forbid try to make a fresh keg of coffee and you'll know what he was getting at.

Not a dig, just clarification.

FlyinRock

It's interesting the differences between what you guys see and what I've seen.

Whenever I've taken pax out on fam flights (full tactical profile) and shot, one will almost always get sick. Usually at least a couple back end students will get sick in every initial qual class at Kirtland. Most co-pilot students have it out of their system by the time they get to the school house however.

I tend to think it's the experience level not the airframe that results in most people being good to go after primary***************************
FWIW -- Many years ago when I started crop dusting in FW, the first two seasons I'd get sick for the first week or so with combination of hard maneuvering, smells of chemicals, stress (at first it was REALLY HIGH) etc.
After that I settled down and no more problems. I think I had about 1500 hours when I started ag work.
The only other time I got sick was when a stud in the front seat of a Stearman barfed but he tossed his head up instead of down and it flew back into my face. talk about pissed??!!!
Semper Fi
Rocky

FlyinRock

Have one...doesn't help at all. Perhaps I am not wearing it correctly although I believe I am...however, I do know that when I turn it up to levels 4 & 5 it causes my hand to flex involuntarily.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
Are you interested in selling it? My wife lost hers on the last trip. :confused:
Rocky

Lawman

None
Im curious as to how much longer this thread can go before it changes subject to getting the other kind of sick in a helo/fixed wing.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
there are several things that get me sick quickly: 1) instructor flying 2) aggressive climbs, >20˚ where I lose sight of the ground 3) negative Gs and 4) multiple touch and go's in the pattern.

Again, don't mean to be whining, just when any of the above occur the nausea sets in almost instantly.

I don't get sick in a car and I felt fine in the SH-60 so I am hoping the 57 will be nice to me (assuming I select helos). Thanks again for the advice!
Ha! I'm right there with you. Pretty much the exact same thing. Never had a problem with airsickness (or any motion sickness for that matter) in my life until I've stepped into the gnarly T-34. Guess who has an appointment with the flight surgeon tomorrow? This guy! :spin_125:

FlyinRock

OK. I've experienced that but not from airsickness or motion. It was G loads combined with amoebic(sp) dysentary when I was based in Egypt. Not a pleasant occurance. The air not only smelled bad, but it was a terrible color with my agitated vocabulary!
Two other times years apart and both times in Mexico from food poisoning.

torpedo0126

Projectile fluid/solid mass being evacuated from the other end of the body.

My second ride I was heaving so hard that I experienced this of the gas type...not fluid or solid.

Not sure where the comm button is located in the T-34, but in the T-6 its on the side of the PCL. Everytime I have yakked I always seem to thrust my knees outward and trigger the mic for a few seconds....its provided the RSU with plenty of entertainment.