• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airsickness and Helos

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
If I make it through I am really hoping to select helos (I understand that is presupposing a lot). I have spent about 2-3 hours in a 60B and felt fine, so I am hoping that will be indicative of an easier time.

Anyone ever hear of anyone who WANTED helos and didn't get them??

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Yes. I had a stud that put helos down as his first choice and was pretty jazzed about them. He had a 50 or 51 NSS and got E2/C2.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
There was a P-3 draft that started up just after I selected in primary. Lots of classes with nothing but P-3s. I'm sure there've been helo drafts that snatched up people that wanted jets too.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

At least when I was going through primary, there had seemed to be a paradign shift from "People with the low grades go Helos" to "People with the low grades go P-3". Now obviously with the needs of the Navy and peoples' opinions, I'm sure that ebbs and flows, and obviously with quality spread, not ALL helo guys or P-3 guys are the dregs of flight school... often quite the contrary.

Now, I did see in the classes around my selection time (my own included), that guys who had Helos first or second and P-3s as third choice or no choice get P-3, but those guys were usually competing with other guys who had helos 2nd or 1st and the guys who got it had like high 40's/50's and the guys who got "drafted" for P-3 had... at least in one case I remember like a 28 or something ridiculously low. So to answer your question: YES it happened/s.

I also certainly saw folks like one guy who got helos which was his THIRD choice and he had a 63, so the point of this entire post is.... grades mean nothing. People get drafted all the time for stuff they don't want and other times even the biggest shitbag gets his first choice.

Naval airframe selection is like reading the goat's testicles... makes no sense at times. All you can do is do your best and throw your cards down. What really irked me is the guys who were literally on the verge of tears selection week worried about an XYZ draft and "If I don't get jets (or whatever struck their fancy, but it was usually jet-wannabes), I'm gonna DOR!"

If I were an O-5 in the front office (when hell freezes over), and I heard something to the above's effect, I'd be writing a memo personally to CNATRA recommending everything BUT what that person was crying about.

It always amazed me to hear priors especially with those kind of shenanigans. This isn't about what ENS crybaby wants. It's called SERVICE for a reason. Act like an Officer, sack up and if you don't get jets with your 63, then be happy you're flying for a living. If you can't, then DOR and good riddance.

/rant...man... I don't know where that came from. :eek:

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Back when I was in the VT's we had a presentation each week by an instructor talking about his community and the aircraft. It was designed to give the students a better feel for what everyone does in the fleet.
One nugget I took away was, no matter what you end up flying, you will be convinced it is the best deal in the Navy.
The other part of those lectures I remember was the COD guy, when he said; "You go to the Boat, sleep in hotel and you'r multi-engine so you don't burn any bridges with the airlines. Any questions?"

Lawman

None
That sounds like a lot more involved and developed a process than the Army would ever waste time on. All the info you get around here about communities is based on either info from guys in Guard units who know what they are flying, 10 year old (minimum) info from guys that flew X and are now instructors, or if your really lucky a bitter CW3 assigned to the student management company and will tell you all about how his aircraft is cooler than the other ones.