• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aircrewman information?

bluemarlin04

Hello,
Little bit of info about me, Im dep'd until may 15 to go to boot camp than aircrewman canidate school in pensacola. This is for the reserve unit in hawaii. I joined the navy reserves. My question is how is your "a" school chosen? I really want to get into something involving electronics, My classifier told me I have a great chance from my asvab scores (I scored a 90). Can someone help me out here, im sorry if Iam ignorant on this subject. Does anyone also know how long I should be looking at for active duty? How does crew chief school admissions work? Could I possibly apply or do I have to be active. Thanks for the help, the site is great. :D

Could a mod delete it from misc, I think its in the wrong spot.

bluemarlin04

cool thanks, got any info while your there? Just looking for general info on what I should expect, and what school im going to after.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Got my A School guaranteed on my first trip to MEPS (when I signed up for DEP). Some folks showed up to boot camp without that guarantee expecting to get assigned an A school before they left Great Lakes. Some got one, some didn't.

If you've signed the DEP stuff already you might think about asking your recruiter for a guaranteed school ... just a thought. If you don't have it in writing, it may not happen. If they start saying things like "ATD" or "striker" you might start to worry.

I really don't know how the reserves work, so maybe you don't need to sweat it.

bluemarlin04

I have a "a" school in my contract, I just dont have a specific one, I was told that aircrew doesnt choose what a school you attend, they choose for you. Should I start to worry? I

bluemarlin04

VarmintShooter said:
Got my A School guaranteed on my first trip to MEPS (when I signed up for DEP). Some folks showed up to boot camp without that guarantee expecting to get assigned an A school before they left Great Lakes. Some got one, some didn't.

If you've signed the DEP stuff already you might think about asking your recruiter for a guaranteed school ... just a thought. If you don't have it in writing, it may not happen. If they start saying things like "ATD" or "striker" you might start to worry.

I really don't know how the reserves work, so maybe you don't need to sweat it.
also, what does striker or ATD mean?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
bluemarlin04 said:
I have a "a" school in my contract, I just dont have a specific one, I was told that aircrew doesnt choose what a school you attend, they choose for you. Should I start to worry? I
I know this has changed over the years, but the reserve guys may still do it this way. When I enlisted in an Aircrew contract, I was guaranteed Aircrew school and one of the available Aircrew rates. They basically told you in boot camp what you got right before you went off to Aircrew school. When you finished there, you went to your A school then to the appropriate RAG. What kind of reserve unit are you with and what kind of aircraft do they fly? This is obviously going to drive what rate they give you in the end.

Brett

bluemarlin04

Brett327 said:
I know this has changed over the years, but the reserve guys may still do it this way. When I enlisted in an Aircrew contract, I was guaranteed Aircrew school and one of the available Aircrew rates. They basically told you in boot camp what you got right before you went off to Aircrew school. When you finished there, you went to your A school then to the appropriate RAG. What kind of reserve unit are you with and what kind of aircraft do they fly? This is obviously going to drive what rate they give you in the end.

Brett
the unit is on the MCBH hawaii I believe and flys p-3s. Not quite sure though.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
If they sent you to ATD or told you you'd be a "striker" then you wouldn't be getting an A school. Sounds like it doesn't work that way for you (I was a surface guy and it was 12 years ago).

Sounds like Brett's got a better handle on it than I do, so I'll defer to him.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
bluemarlin04 said:
the unit is on the MCBH hawaii I believe and flys p-3s. Not quite sure though.
Well, if their intent is for you to fill an aircrew billet in a VP squadron, then you'll either be an AW (sensor operator), AT ( inflight tech), or one of the applicable Flight engineer rates. Either way, you're in for a good deal, although I know that the future of reserve VP squadrons is in question. Perhaps some of the VP guys could chime in on that one. Also, the training track for any of those VP aircrew rates can be pretty long. I was in various schools for a year and others took even longer, so if that's the route you'll be taking, be aware of that factor as well. Let us know if you find anything out and we can help as required. Welcome to the team!

Brett

bluemarlin04

Brett327 said:
Well, if their intent is for you to fill an aircrew billet in a VP squadron, then you'll either be an AW (sensor operator), AT ( inflight tech), or one of the applicable Flight engineer rates. Either way, you're in for a good deal, although I know that the future of reserve VP squadrons is in question. Perhaps some of the VP guys could chime in on that one. Also, the training track for any of those VP aircrew rates can be pretty long. I was in various schools for a year and others took even longer, so if that's the route you'll be taking, be aware of that factor as well. Let us know if you find anything out and we can help as required. Welcome to the team!

Brett
cool, thanks for the info, Im pretty excited about this,

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know of any P-3 units in Hawaii that have AW reservists.

There MAY be some reservist Aircrew types with the VR squadron. I'd wager most of them are prior active from the squadron itself and they slid over to the reserve side.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
I don't know of any P-3 units in Hawaii that have AW reservists.

There MAY be some reservist Aircrew types with the VR squadron. I'd wager most of them are prior active from the squadron itself and they slid over to the reserve side.
Yeah, probably the best thing to do is to go talk to the folks at the unit and ask them what they have in mind for you, that way you'll have a better idea of what to expect.

Brett

KWpilot

I was Navy reserves at MCBH Kaneohe a long time ago and the only flying billet was at VR-51 they fly Gulfstreams (C-20G) I dont think the P-3 Squadrons out there are TAR units.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
KWpilot said:
I dont think the P-3 Squadrons out there are TAR units.

Spot on. All 3 VP squadron in K-Bay are AD. VP reserves are in the process of being disestablished anyway.