• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aircrewman information?

bluemarlin04

KWpilot said:
I was Navy reserves at MCBH Kaneohe a long time ago and the only flying billet was at VR-51 they fly Gulfstreams (C-20G) I dont think the P-3 Squadrons out there are TAR units.
so Im kind of lost here, what is a c-20g anyways?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://www.history.navy.mil/planes/c-20.html

I'd say you need to go talk to your recruiter and find out exactly what you are trying to get into.

I don't know how it works on the enlisted side, but VR-51 is extremely competitive for officers. I'd be suprised if they take brand new reservists straight into their ranks for Aircrew. But ya never know.

bluemarlin04

zab1001 said:
http://www.history.navy.mil/planes/c-20.html

I'd say you need to go talk to your recruiter and find out exactly what you are trying to get into.

I don't know how it works on the enlisted side, but VR-51 is extremely competitive for officers. I'd be suprised if they take brand new reservists straight into their ranks for Aircrew. But ya never know.
you see thats what im wondering. I know I have an aircrew and a school garuntee, but I dont exactly know where Im gonna end up. I just went through my entire contract it doesnt say where I will be assigned. All it says is NRC honolulu. I think Ill ask my recruiter. Hopefully Ill at least get put somewhere with planes and not at a desk because they dont have a place for me.

Ex Rigger

pilot
bluemarlin04 said:
Hopefully Ill at least get put somewhere with planes and not at a desk because they dont have a place for me.
Oh, you won't be getting shore duty....you can count on that.

KWpilot

I was an enlisted crewmember at VR-51 both reserves and as a TAR basically when you talk to the reserve recruiter off of of the Nimtz Highway he will call them and see if there is any openings over there. or you can call the unit and talk to the unit and beg. A gulfstream is do a google search. You fly around the world and living the good life.

bluemarlin04

KWpilot said:
I was an enlisted crewmember at VR-51 both reserves and as a TAR basically when you talk to the reserve recruiter off of of the Nimtz Highway he will call them and see if there is any openings over there. or you can call the unit and talk to the unit and beg. A gulfstream is do a google search. You fly around the world and living the good life.
excuse my ignorance, but what is TAR? What did you do as an enlisted crew member with vr-51? I got aircrew because the classifier at meps said their was an opening in hawaii reserves for one, so maybe thats where im going. I checked out the c-20g's and they look pretty cool. thanks

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
bluemarlin04 said:
excuse my ignorance, but what is TAR? What did you do as an enlisted crew member with vr-51? I got aircrew because the classifier at meps said their was an opening in hawaii reserves for one, so maybe thats where im going. I checked out the c-20g's and they look pretty cool. thanks
If you're an aircrewman at a VR squadron, you're pretty much a naval flight attendant, but with C-20s you'll probably be hauling important folks around which can have its advantages. KW can probably fill in the details.

Brett

KWpilot

A TAR is the Training and Admistraion of Resevers. They are active duty but they work with the reserves one weekend a month. and brett is correct about the flight attendant thing. you are actually a Loadmaster which means you congfigure the weigth and balance of the aircraft prior to flight, fill the plane with cargo or bags and take care of the pax because. VR-51 was new to the Navy when I was there so I had to apply for that postion. But now that the command has been in service for 12 years or so its a regular duty assingment inn which anyone can be assinged to, only if you are a TAR not regular Navy or as a reseverist you need to be sleceted to in order to drill with them.

IFT2O

Drinkin' Beer w/ your mom
bluemarlin04 said:
Hello,
Little bit of info about me, Im dep'd until may 15 to go to boot camp than aircrewman canidate school in pensacola. This is for the reserve unit in hawaii. I joined the navy reserves. My question is how is your "a" school chosen? I really want to get into something involving electronics, My classifier told me I have a great chance from my asvab scores (I scored a 90). Can someone help me out here, im sorry if Iam ignorant on this subject. Does anyone also know how long I should be looking at for active duty? How does crew chief school admissions work? Could I possibly apply or do I have to be active. Thanks for the help, the site is great. :D

Could a mod delete it from misc, I think its in the wrong spot.

Aircrew was an afterthought for me, but turned out to be the best move because I believe it helped me get my commission. When I enlisted in '93 I had a guaranteed AT A school on my contract and went aircrew after I graduated. I don't know if they still do this, but it might be a better way to go. Better to be doing a job you want to be doing than to be given a job. With your ASVAB scores you qualify for any enlisted rating unless your a female or physicaly disqualified. I can tell you right now, that there aren't a tremendous amount of jobs out there for civilian ASW operators! But it is probably a hell of a lot cooler to be manning a .50 cal on a helo than sitting in a shop working on avionics! I was an In-Flight Tech on P-3s and loved it, but like someone posted before, the P-3 reserves are about to be gone, from what we've been hearing. I guess it just depends on your prioities.

bluemarlin04

IFT2O said:
Aircrew was an afterthought for me, but turned out to be the best move because I believe it helped me get my commission. When I enlisted in '93 I had a guaranteed AT A school on my contract and went aircrew after I graduated. I don't know if they still do this, but it might be a better way to go. Better to be doing a job you want to be doing than to be given a job. With your ASVAB scores you qualify for any enlisted rating unless your a female or physicaly disqualified. I can tell you right now, that there aren't a tremendous amount of jobs out there for civilian ASW operators! But it is probably a hell of a lot cooler to be manning a .50 cal on a helo than sitting in a shop working on avionics! I was an In-Flight Tech on P-3s and loved it, but like someone posted before, the P-3 reserves are about to be gone, from what we've been hearing. I guess it just depends on your prioities.
I really wanted to have an electronic job, but the program Im in is new to hawaii. Im in a non prior service basic, so I dont know where Ill end up. Before this we only had sebees and corpsman openings for reserves.

One more question and I promise ill stop, how do they decide what A school I attend.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
bluemarlin04 said:

Unless things are drastically different from when I was next door in Hangar 103, Marines aren't flying w/ VR-51. However, the General does have a Marine Gulfstream that is used that is hangared w/ the -51 birds. The one thing that might be causing the confusion is that the Marine bird may be maintained by -51. Or maybe I missed something.

IFT2O

Drinkin' Beer w/ your mom
bluemarlin04 said:
I really wanted to have an electronic job, but the program Im in is new to hawaii. Im in a non prior service basic, so I dont know where Ill end up. Before this we only had sebees and corpsman openings for reserves.

One more question and I promise ill stop, how do they decide what A school I attend.
ask this guy in this thread...
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?p=195398#post195398

Or just call down there and ask. Better yet, have your recruiter call down there and ask!
Make him work for you , he owes you because you helped him make his quota!