• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airborne Leathers brand G-1 Jackets...

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Anybody had any experience with these? I came across their ad in a magazine, jumped on their website and it was very limited with info, pretty much just a mail order company with an online ad, http://www.airborne-leathers.com/. Reason I am asking is I want to get a jacket as a gift for a family member, and $119 sure fits the budget more than 3-400$ does, and this family member wouldn't know the difference. Has anybody ever seen/bought/touched one of their products? Mostly curious how good the leather was and if it was of fairly sturdy construction. Obviously feeling a little caveat emptor, but if its not a total p.o.s. then I was going to pick one up.

Thanks

- J

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never heard of them. Cheapest I've seen a recommended jacket was $190 from

http://www.oxfordleathershop.com/

Plus shipping from Korea...

I paid $150 for my Oxford jacket when I visited their shop in Osan in '09. Very nice quality. It's a bit bulkier than the issue jacket, but the useable pockets and zip-out liner are awesome. I just wish I could quickly break it in so it's on par with my issued one in terms of flexibility and worn look. I'd definitely recommend them if you're looking for a second jacket.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I paid $150 for my Oxford jacket when I visited their shop in Osan in '09. Very nice quality. It's a bit bulkier than the issue jacket, but the useable pockets and zip-out liner are awesome. I just wish I could quickly break it in so it's on par with my issued one in terms of flexibility and worn look. I'd definitely recommend them if you're looking for a second jacket.

Are the aftermarket ones better in terms of quality than the issued one? I'm pretty happy with my issued one, but have little to compare to.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
My issued jacket is a turd, I swear it is melted down milk jugs and 2 liter bottles instead of leather, I'll look into the Oxford one's. Thanks fella's.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Obviously feeling a little caveat emptor, but if its not a total p.o.s. then I was going to pick one up.

"Caveat Emptor" fer sure. For any price below the $200-$350 range will, most likely, be a foreign-made, sub-standard, imitation leather, questionable workmanship (maybe authentic looking) knockoff on the real McCoy. It may suffice for a pre-teen to slap on a few patches and an American flag, to play show & tell w/ classmates, but for an aviation savvy adult relative or close friend, I wouldn't chance it.:oops:

The classical Navy flight jacket is Goatskin, with a soft fur collar. It will have a MILSPEC- # embroidered into the label just inside the collar & cost $300+.
BzB

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Another vote for Oxford here - great stuff, way better than the issue.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BzB Flight Jacket.jpg Given the last few posts, it's obvious the Navy MILSPEC standards have deteriorated since my era. I still have my original jacket (G-1 Jacket, Flying, Mil J-7823 E),
Mfr: BRILL BROS. Inc., issued at NAS Alameda in 1958, still soft, pliable and in great shape. Quality challenged, cost cutting "bean-counters" strike again!:(

Too bad bjg Navy doesn't contract with Oxford, since our guys seem to like their jackets.
BzB

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
"Caveat Emptor" fer sure. For any price below the $200-$350 range will, most likely, be a foreign-made, sub-standard, imitation leather, questionable workmanship (maybe authentic looking) knockoff on the real McCoy. It may suffice for a pre-teen to slap on a few patches and an American flag, to play show & tell w/ classmates, but for an aviation savvy adult relative or close friend, I wouldn't chance it.:oops:

The classical Navy flight jacket is Goatskin, with a soft fur collar. It will have a MILSPEC- # embroidered into the label just inside the collar & cost $300+.
BzB

Unfortunately these days, the issued jackets aren't what they used to be (They stopped issuing them for a while- allegedly due to some contract/legal issues relating to the material of the original jacket, and then when they started again they were no where near the quality of what they used to be). Its not uncommon for guys to buy aftermarket jackets (which ironically enough they even sell at the exchanges in the Pensacola area).

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The classical Navy flight jacket is Goatskin, with a soft fur collar.

I'll bet anything that in the "PC" & "Green" Navy we have unfortunately slid slowly into the last couple of decades, has jnfected the supply acquisition process too. Goatskin was the ideal for flight jackets...but to PETA & Environmental radicals, would be a no no. We don't want to offend them, do we? Synthetic leathers just don't cut it. Oh well...:(
BzB

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
I'm nearly certain the one I was issued in '09 is real goatskin. It's in temp storage right now though so I can't verify.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
I'm nearly certain the one I was issued in spring of '07 is either melted down plastic or came off a cow's ass who's been rubbing barbed wire for the last 15 years. I called some of my buds who got theirs around the same time and its 50/50 split on good vs shitty jacket.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I ran into a guy at Sabreline in Perryville, MO that bought one from Airborne Leathers. It looked really nice but was pretty thin. It had hand pockets behind the button pockets and it also looked really large. If I wanted a less expensive G-1 as a gift for a friend, then it would fit the bill.

-ea6bflyr ;)

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
I couldn't find a direct answer through a seach of the jumbo jacket thread, but has anyone tried or been successful swapping their leather for a new one a few years after getting it issued with supply in Pcola?