• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ah-1z

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Why do you suppose The Corps hasn't converted their H-1's to H-60's? Not trying to be a smart-ass, but honestly wondering.

Fetter

Everyone always asks about Cobras, never about Hueys? WTFO.

I like Hueys a lot, but I thought they were pretty much gone as far as I'm concerned. If everything works out, I don't graduate college until spring 2010...so yeah....I'm not so crazy about getting stuck in the jedi starfighter by the time I come around.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
I like Hueys a lot, but I thought they were pretty much gone as far as I'm concerned. If everything works out, I don't graduate college until spring 2010...so yeah....I'm not so crazy about getting stuck in the jedi starfighter by the time I come around.

Pretty much gone? They are going to be around long after you and I have been put down in the ground. The Y will just barely be getting totally transitioned (as far as I understand it) by the time you get out. And I don't think you have to worry about getting a starfighter anytime soon, something tells me conventional aircraft are going to be around for a while.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why do you suppose The Corps hasn't converted their H-1's to H-60's? Not trying to be a smart-ass, but honestly wondering.

I think one of the main reasons was the parts commonality between the UH-1 and the AH-1, it would save them a lot in maintenance costs in the long run. That and they were supposed to be reconditioned/modified out of old ones to save even more money.

But I think the UH-1Y has cost so much in the front end that any parts savings in the long run will be pennies on the dollar compared to the test and development costs, on top of the delay getting to the fleet.

I think it is way too much for way too little improvement in capability, when something like the H-60 could have been bought off the shelf and deployed right now.

Just curious too, I had about 6 Cobra guys in my SERE class and they had nothing but bad things to say about Bell, very bad to work with. Anyone else have experience with them?

Fetter

And I don't think you have to worry about getting a starfighter anytime soon, something tells me conventional aircraft are going to be around for a while.

It's exciting to know the Huey will still be around for a good while. I was under the impression that they were scarce these days, but that may have just been a particular variant I was reading about in Vertical Mag. I'll have to read up on the Y, didn't know they were making upgrades.

xbreaka

well the UH-1Ns just seem to be skating on thin ice, i once visited pendleton and they seemed to like have to get a running start before the damn things could even get airborne.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
well the UH-1Ns just seem to be skating on thin ice, i once visited pendleton and they seemed to like have to get a running start before the damn things could even get airborne.

At Max Gross Weight in a high, hot, and heavy environment (Iraq), yes. Otherwise, it's not much of a problem to take off. Severely underpowered, but I think that makes you a better pilot in the long run.

MasterBates

To hell with being underpowered "making you a better pilot"

I want more power and I want it now!

MORE POWER!!!
tool_time_girl3.jpg