• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age limit approaching fast- Am I done for a Naval Aviation career?

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Well I am 25, about to turn 26 in January. I have a Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering with a concentration in Aerospace aswell. My GPA was ~ 3.3 overal, 3.8 in major. I am about to take the ASTB, and I know I can score well, but I am still studying as I do not want to get too cocky. I have been working out and I can do about 50 ish push-ups (I do about 120 to 150 a day with reps of 40 X 3 most days). The running is OK, but I know I can make it. I am just worried about my age. What do you guys recomend.

Sincerely,

Alex

Raptor2216

I believe the age limit is 27.5...as in you have to be commissioned by 27.5. I'm pretty sure that is the age req for the Marine Corps but if its different for the Navy, someone will correct me. I'm 100% sure that you are OK as long as you apply and get accepted w/in a year or so.

Aircrew Instruc

None
I gradudated OCS on my 31st birthday (DEC 15 2006). I Graduated Primary Jul 2008 and I class up at VP-30 as a NFO on 15 OCT. So your age is NO PROBLEM!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I gradudated OCS on my 31st birthday (DEC 15 2006). I Graduated Primary Jul 2008 and I class up at VP-30 as a NFO on 15 OCT. So your age is NO PROBLEM!
Not true. The OP is not prior service, you were. You got a waiver for prior service. Last I checked, about 6 months ago, the age for pilot and NFO was not over 27 by the date you commission. AGonxAV8R must get his butt in gear. Time is fast slipping away. Age is a big deal for non prior military applicants. The likelihood of DOR goes up dramatically after about age 25. They have decades of data on this. One of the reasons they give waivers for prior service is because a vet is less likely to DOR. They know what they are getting into. They have already experienced the shock indoc to military life once before. A vet already has years invested in the military toward retirement. A 29 year old prior service guy is less likely to DOR then a 24 year old off the street.

Veovis

PRO REC SNA!
I believe the age limit is 27.5...as in you have to be commissioned by 27.5. I'm pretty sure that is the age req for the Marine Corps but if its different for the Navy, someone will correct me. I'm 100% sure that you are OK as long as you apply and get accepted w/in a year or so.

I'm in the same boat I'm 25, 26 in January as well, and I'm almost certain its 26.5 for commissioning for both the Navy and Marine Corps... I hope I'm wrong, but I'm 95% sure (not 42%:icon_tong)

Either way you've got time if you just focus and stay on your recruiters @$$ about stuff 'cause you're not the only kid off the street that wants to be Maverick or Goose

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

For us non-prior Navy SNA slot wannabes you must commission before your 27th birthday. For us non-prior Navy SNFO slot wannabes you must commission before your 29th birthday.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For us non-prior Navy SNA slot wannabes you must commission before your 27th birthday. For us non-prior Navy SNFO slot wannabes you must commission before your 29th birthday.
You are right. Thanks for clarifying. I was thinking of pilot only.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Like wink said, get it in gear. You have time, but not much.

I turned 26 this past April, submitted and pro-rec'd in June, I report to OCS in 3 weeks, and should finish (hopefully) at the end of January. As long as I finish by April next year (when I turn 27), I'm told I'm in the clear.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Age is a big deal for non prior military applicants. The likelihood of DOR goes up dramatically after about age 25. They have decades of data on this. One of the reasons they give waivers for prior service is because a vet is less likely to DOR. They know what they are getting into. They have already experienced the shock indoc to military life once before. A vet already has years invested in the military toward retirement. A 29 year old prior service guy is less likely to DOR then a 24 year old off the street.

The information that was given to us by the OPS officer at OCS several times while I was there was that prior enlisted were far more likely to DOR. The OPS O also said that this was part of the reason that they make them show up with uniforms ready to wear in the event that they do DOR. My own experience would back this up. I saw prior enlisted (including one roomate that lost his mind the night before RLP) DOR 3 to 1 over civilians. The resounding theme was that they would rather go back to their old job and finish out 1,2,3... years than deal with all the bullshit that is OCS. Take it for what you will, but that was my experience.

As for the OP, get on top of things and get to OCS. You are a big part in how fast your application goes through. If your recruiter gives you something to complete, get it back to him the next day. Chances are he will see that and put the same amount of effort in to your package. It worked for me.

My only other advice would be to take an honest look at yourself and ask yourself if you will be able to handle OCS at this part of your life. I saw some of the older guys (and women) have a hard time dealing with issues that their younger shipmates did not necessarilly have to deal with. At 25-30 years old you probably have established yourself in life more than a kid fresh out of college. Things like a mortgage, and other payments, a wife that may not understand what you're going through, kids, or God forbid a divorce, are all things I saw some of the older guys struggle with while they were there. Try to take care of these things before you leave as best you can. Make sure that your family or your personal finances function autonomously without you for 3 months. Try to mentally prepare yourself as much as possible so that these things aren't laying a heavy burden on you mentally. Take my advice for what you will, but it could make things alot better for you and decrease your odds of DOR'ing. I know your questions were focused on the application process, but hopefully that can be of some help to you when you do get in to OCS. Trust me you won't be the oldest guy there.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Well, I am as single as I can be and I do no have kids or any other issues. I have no issues dealing with OCS and I have thought about it long enough. I want it bad enough, so I am going to put myself through it....

FastMover

NFO
None
If you want it bad enough, you shouldn't have a problem. We had a CEC guy in our class who was 35 and he made it through fine. Good luck!

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
i know SNA's down here that went through OCS just recently that are 26.

hell the average age going through OCS seemed to be like 25

your age is not an issue

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
your age is not an issue

Glad you are the resident expert. I suppose all those years I have in recruiting don't amount to much when you can be a sand crab in p-cola and become expert on this subject by just looking out a window. I guess having gotten a message or two from the Aviation Program Manager at CRUITCOM wrt the age of aviation applicants and OCS DORs is not noteworthy experience.