• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age limit approaching fast- Am I done for a Naval Aviation career?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
From what I saw at AOCS (much harder program.....amen), it has more to do with paygrade than rank interms of DORs and priors.

The ones E-1 to E-3 and E-6 and above did fine. The E-4 and E-5 group DOR'd at a much higher rate. We had several from all three groups in my class, including a Senior Chief.

E-1 to E-3: "I'm used to getting yelled at.......no big deal"

E-6 and above: "This is just bullshit harassment package and it'll be over in a few short weeks. It's worth it in the long term to stick it out and finish."

E-4 to E-5: "This is just bullshit harassment package. I've been in too long (5 years?)to put up with this crap."

All anecdotal evidence, but just my perspective. YMMV.

If anybody knows best on this, it's Wink.

As a prior E-5 with 5 years of service, this was me in OCS:

"This is just bullshit harassment package. I've been in too long (5 years?)to put up with this crap." But, this bastard will be saluting me in a few short weeks :)

robyd82

Just spoke to the recruiter las week. Been tryin' to get in for years (my biggest hurdle was having had LASIK which they now accept) So here's the up to date scoop. No prior experience, must be commisioned by 27th birthday, no waivers. NFO, must be commisioned by 29th b-day. I just turned 27 last month and its a no go for me, but you've still got time. The marine corp is 27.5 for non-prior with an age waiver untill 28 (for NA). I spoke to them as well. Only problem there is that Marine Corp OCS is already full unitl next October's class (at least for people out of my recruiting district, 9th district) in my case I wouldn't graduate Marine OCS until after my 28th b-day (Dec 8th). Hate to talk about myself but just tryin' to help.
I have a question of my own; my recruiter wasn't "sure" and I am waiting for a response from him: If one were to join as an NFO would that give him the prior exerince neccessary to push back the age limit to commisioned-before-31 for NA? So that he could serve as a NFO for one billet and then try to become a NA, or does the prior experience to push back the age limit have to come before OCS? I know some NFO's go on to become aviators but I'm wondering if it can be used as a way to "twist" the age limit rules. This is my final "loop hole" any help would be much appreciated!

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I don't know if they're still doing this, as I have been out of API for a while, but the gouge was that NFOs in the top 10 percent of their API class could go SNA. Being an NFO is pretty damn cool too, so don't overlook that option.

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
I am 27 (pro-rec in AUG2009 for SNA and SNFO, age 26) and have been held up in the LASIK window. Prior to the LASIK in Aviation Study, I was-obviously-a guarenteed PDQ.

I was just unofficially cleared by the Refractive Surgery Center and they are working with NAMI to get my status officially changed in N3M. This process took a lot longer than anticipated.

My NRD knows how dedicated I am and is, "fully supportive of an age waiver" despite my non-prior status. I have also been employed, successfully, with a government agency in the USIC as a former field guy and now an analyst. They are pushing the, "one team, one fight" aspect. Nailing the PRT with an outstanding/excellent (or however they word it) also helped.

According to my understanding too, the NRD's support is a significant factor in whether or not such waivers are granted.

My whole point is that I think each of these cases have to be treated on an individual basis. We will see if the age waiver comes though. I have already received two false PDQs, so a third one will not kill me. As much as it would suck to not get aviation, I will be happy as a SWO and if it really sucks, I will just do my four years and get out. At least I can say I was an officer in the Navy doing bread-and-butter Navy work.

As long as you are still having fun, why leave?

Best advice, if you are looking for it is to be persistent, motivated and show your NRD that you want it and that you really give a shit. They will reward you with pushing for the, supposedly, impossible. They did it for AGonxAV8R (ironically, we are both from the same NRD).

I did want to ask for clarification, I thought the age cut off for both SNA and SNFO was 27? RobyD (a few days ago) posted that for SNFO, the required commissioning age was 29. Is this indeed true?

My OR and I checked the regs back in NOV2009 and it said 27 was for both flight designators. And for the USMC, I was under the impression that they were doing away with the NFO program. This stuff seems to change every other week.

Thanks again and just keep in mind that, even in my nacent, green experience with this process, that if it was easy and a shoe in, it would not be worth it.

FLY NAVY.

robyd82

getawatdriver: According to the USMC OSO the Marines are doing away with the NOF designation, my comments about NFO were only in regard to the Navy. According to the Navy recruiter, the age limit for SNFO is 29, not the same as a SNA; these things are constantly being changed! Good luck in getting an age waiver for being commissioned after 27, non-prior service for SNA. He who makes the rules can change the rules. If your recruiter can get in the ear of that man (probably flag rank) than maybe it'll happen. I wonder if your prior gov. work puts you under the prior-experience have-till-31-to-get-commissioned for NA age limit, in which case your application is being processed under a different status, still according to this thread's consensus on the age rules (see page 2)....

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
getawatdriver: According to the USMC OSO the Marines are doing away with the NOF designation, my comments about NFO were only in regard to the Navy. According to the Navy recruiter, the age limit for SNFO is 29, not the same as a SNA; these things are constantly being changed! Good luck in getting an age waiver for being commissioned after 27, non-prior service for SNA. He who makes the rules can change the rules. If your recruiter can get in the ear of that man (probably flag rank) than maybe it'll happen. I wonder if your prior gov. work puts you under the prior-experience have-till-31-to-get-commissioned for NA age limit, in which case your application is being processed under a different status, still according to this thread's consensus on the age rules (see page 2)....

No I hear you. My NRD already secured one non-prior a waiver so we will see how they do with mine. I hope my federal time thus far equates for something. God knows we work pretty damn close with DOD entities.

Honestly, I am in no position to be choosing, but I will gladly take either SNA or SNFO. And if they come back, and those age requirements that you posted are good, and they say, "report to OCS on this date with a NFO designator," you can bet your ass I'll be showing up.

Anyway, we will just have to play this out one day at a time. Hopefully the RSC was able to gain concurrence with NAMI and my status can be changed.

I will keep you all posted.

Good luck to you in your endvours. Just have to find the equilibrium between being the patient Zen master and the motivated inpatient greenhorn.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
getawatdriver: According to the USMC OSO the Marines are doing away with the NOF designation, my comments about NFO were only in regard to the Navy.

Let's not start a rumor. The NFO "designation" isn't going away per se, only the cockpits that require a NFO. There is still a NFO designation and will be until the Prowlers go away and even then, NFOs already serving will still continue to serve as they are plenty of jobs requiring aviation expertise, they just won't have cockpits associated with them. What you might be hearing and translating improperly is as demand for Prowler ECMOs and F/A-18D WSOs wind down, the OSO will have fewer and fewer SNFO slots until they decide they are not needed at all.

robyd82

Not trying to start rumors. When I said they're doing away with the designation I didn't mean "cold turkey." I am sure its a gradual process. According to my OSO (who's an NA himself) the plan is to eventually do away with the designation, or at least, new designatees (which would have the same long term effec-no NFO's). Of course, he is not infallible. This still leaves SNFO contract available for a while, which is the relevant point. Not trying to mislead. Anyhow:
Getawaydriver, so your NRD already secured one non-prior an age waiver for SNA? Could you elaborate? What district are you in? NA or NFO would both be awesome but NA, yeah.

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
Heyjoe, I didn't mean to mispeak either, so my bad on the language.

RobyD, he was cleared and reported back in October. He had a January birthday and should be commissioned by now. He was going to be a week or so "post-27".

The NRD did secure it (Richmond) and it was for SNA.

I spoke with an officer out of my NRD and he was going to track down whether or not the FO age for commissioning was 29 for non-priors. If I can ask, where did you get the information from or from what Navy document.

I am just really eager to hear because I am past my 27th by a few weeks and, despite all that the Navy has done to get me this far, I am hoping the best and expecting the worst. If that 29 is indeed valid, that takes off so much stress.

Best and looking forward to hearing from you.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Anyone know why the Marines use 27 and 1/2 years as the cut for pilots? I haven't differentiated between a half year and a full year since I was in grade school.....:) Seriously though, it seems pretty random

robyd82

Yeah, I'm just a few weeks past my 27th so same hear. The information concerning USMC age waivers comes right out of the "handbook" if you will, for OSOs. Mine left his in the local recruiting center and the Staff Sargent let me take a look at it. Can't remember what its officially called, but I doubt you're likely to find it on the internet; however, everything I'v gathered on the internet is consistent with what it said (save the obviously bogus website). I also spoke to the OSO and what he said was consistent with what I had already read. Concerning the "phase-out" of NFO for the USMC, Just what the OSO told me. As far as age limits for Navy, just what the recruiters told me and what I've been able to find thus far on the internet from various Navy sites.

robyd82

Yeah, I'm just a few weeks past my 27th so same hear. The information concerning USMC age waivers comes right out of the "handbook" if you will, for OSOs. Mine left his in the local recruiting center and the Staff Sargent let me take a look at it. Can't remember what its officially called, but I doubt you're likely to find it on the internet; however, everything I'v gathered on the internet is consistent with what it said (save the obviously bogus website). I also spoke to the OSO and what he said was consistent with what I had already read. Concerning the "phase-out" of NFO for the USMC, Just what the OSO told me. As far as age limits for Navy, just what the recruiters told me and what I've been able to find thus far on the internet from various Navy sites.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Do we need both these posts back to back?

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Out of OCS and headed to Pcola guys....! OCS was a blast in my own personal opinion. I can only hope for API to be that much fun! And I am not being sarcastic!

And yes I got an age waiver as a non prior, but I was only 10 days into my 27th bday.......