• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Afraid that my motivational statement is too radical...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan1234

I understand everyone here has experience, but to say that I'm not officer material from such a limited example of me is just ridiculous. If you think that I'm using big words from a 'vocab list from the LSAT exam' then this only proves my point. Not only does the LSAT not have a vocab' oriented portion, but you're just wrong. So what if I'm articulate? There's a difference between knowing how to effectively use a word and sounding like a dog-eared dictionary lover. I'm an English major and I read a lot of fucking books. This coupled with the fact that I have a damn good memory gives me the ability to use a wide variety of words. I am not ostentatious. I don't want people to bullshit me and make me feel good. I'd just be happy if they stopped making outrageous assumptions about my character and determination. It's fine though. Everyone's just giving me more fuel to study even harder for this exam and train as hard as possible. Considering the fact that I still have six months until I graduate, and I still have to get my vision waiver, and then take the ASTB, there's still a lot ahead of me until I can, God permitting, get what I want-- but I can't wait to get to OCS and graduate so I can prove all of you wrong.

I'm sure as an English major you understand communication. However, I'm not sure you're communicating effectively in this environment, specifically this audience. It may work while puffing on a cornpipe with fellow philosophers during the metaphysics club meeting at a table outside of Starbucks... but here it's a little different. The audience here is vast, with many connections, some of those connections include various board members who frequent this website. Your motivational statement, location, major, etc may very well stand out like a sore thumb.

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
This is one of the funniest things I have read on this site. You are a terrible communicator and you sound like a fucking moron, not an articulate philosopher.

I guess all my English professors who gave me A's in high level Middle English literature class-- many known for being extremely harsh graders-- were wrong. You should apply to be a English professor at my school so you can save us all.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I guess all my English professors who gave me A's in high level Middle English literature class-- many known for being extremely harsh graders-- were wrong. You should apply to be a English professor at my school so you can save us all.

You are trying WAY TOO HARD. Stop trying to convince us that you are intelligent. There are a ton of very smart people in Naval Aviation. Start trying to find a way to not sound like a pretentious douchebag with a chip on his shoulder. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY gives a fuck about your english degree or what your professors thought, or whether an inanimate object can have human attributes. I hope you find another path because you will be a laughingstock in naval aviation.

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
I don't want anyone to give a fuck about my English degree. I'm not trying to prove that I'm smart and I don't really care. And if you think that I'm trying too hard to prove something, then you're trying too hard to prove the opposite. y u so mad?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor

I believe that your statement ought to read "apply to be an English professor. . ."

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor

I don't want anyone to give a fuck about my English degree.

Clearly you do. I've been sitting this one out hoping you actually turn your mouth off and start opening your ears, but clearly you aren't listening to what people are telling you. It's clear to everyone that you have only your self-professed stellar academic credentials to hang your hat on, and your borderline obsessive desire to make sure we all know that you're not an inarticulate neanderthal is just demonstrating that you became an English major because you like hearing yourself use big words. The reason nobody is taking you seriously is because you aren't listening. You're just talking. Have you taken any of the comments that were given to you about your statement, or did you automatically dismiss all the people who took time out of their day to read it, just because they weren't English majors? Have you completely forgotten the reason you started this thread to begin with? Is your statement changed at all? Your intention here seems to be to prove to everyone that your original statement is, in fact, perfectly rational and that you're somehow an undiscovered gem who is also destined to be the best aviator to ever come into the fleet. All you're actually doing is demonstrating that you're an overblown 'intellectual' who is not only uncertain about himself (very dangerous in the air) and a poor communicator (also very dangerous in the air).

If you want some advice from a former overblown 'intellectual', fellow liberal arts major, and once-and-future thorn in the side of the more senior folks around here (lest you forget you're talking to real officers and winged aviators who've earned their keep), though I'm almost certain you're going to get all pissy at me too, stop replying to everyone, take a breather, revise your statement, and repost it with your changes. Do that, and many of the people who are dogpiling on your now might just come back with more constructive comments.

Or you could just keep being a troll. Your choice.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
OK, I started out as an English major (the less said about that, the gooder), but didn't stay with it so you can take any advice on your awesome language skills with a grain of salt.

However, I've sat on a dozen officer interview panels and I can tell you that your first stab at a motivational statement is confusing (it obfuscates, in the English-lit speak you feel comfortable with), and contains empty platitudes constructed in a way that sounds awkward. You might believe that a statement like that is so different that it will set you apart from your peers, but it is actually a missed opportunity to tell the board something factual about you, and help them to picture you as an officer. It reads like someone who is trying to sound older and has exhausted the thesaurus function of spellcheck (I'm not saying that all of that language didn't spring forth from your noggin, just that it reads like someone who is struggling with grown up language). It is actually more difficult to express a lot about yourself in clear, plain language than use a bunch of highfalutin purple prose. Also, if you ask for criticism you are going to have to be prepared for it, and accept it with grace and good humor.

FYI: This thread keeps getting dangerously close to getting locked, since it seems an exercise in futility.
1) an inanimate object can have resolve.
No argument there from me, dude. And it can be very powerful, too.

resolve-carpet-cleaner1.jpeg

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
That was genius. An inanimate object literally containing a substance known as resolve. Thus, the inanimate object has resolve. Jesus.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I don't want anyone to give a fuck ....
Your wish is our command.

By the way, we don't 'give a fuck' when a troll comes onboard and tries to impress us w/ .... nothing.

By the way #2 -- a newbie on this forum does not have the luxury of telling established members where to get off ... sayin' things like "fuck them" or reasonable facsimiles ... etc, etc. Hopefully, you get the point.

Weren't you banninated for a week a short time ago by another MOD-Squad member ... ?? HEY, I KNOW !!! Let's do it again ... this time for 2 weeks. We'll still be here when you get back ... very jolly. 'Cept if it happens again ... it will be permanent. 3 Strikes & all (that's inside baseball).

One more question that you can answer when you return: why are you now claiming location as Qatar??? You registered & are posting from Gainesville & Melbourne, FL, ... decidedly NOT Doha, Qatar.

You know:

LAT/LONG

Or perhaps you spent so much time on your version of 'Engrish' ... you forgot all about Geography ??? :)

I guess you didn't get the memo about Naval Officers not telling fibs ... ???

Status
Not open for further replies.