• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Afraid that my motivational statement is too radical...

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
BTW, since when was playing XBox considered a "hobby?" I guess I can add "masturbation" and "scratching my ass" to my profile if the hobby threshold is that low.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
It's all good. I thought some of the responses were dickish but whatever. I knew that when I posted the horses/polygons statement that all hell would break loose. I figure that my motivational statement was a bit off, but I didn't know that it was THAT off. Apparently this is the case. I have a much better idea of what I should write now.

Here are some words of advice. Next time search around the forums and you will be less inclined to get hammered for something unless you make stupid statements (i.e. horses/polygons). Now look in this thread and see what responses were to previously posted motivational statements. You will get a better idea of what is needed and what you should say.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php/142053-Motivational-Statement-MEGA-Thread

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
You're professionalism in this manner is lacking, and while I am still a civilian and I see your actions as childish and immature, it's no surprise to me why some of you are in the Navy.

Perhaps you are better suited to join the Army....

thumbnail.aspx
salvationarmy.jpg

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
For shits and giggles though, can you elaborate on the thought process behind "I have the resolve of an aircraft carrier, and more desire than I can contain. I am shooting star– if you allow me this opportunity, I will make history. I shun no one. I want progress, not illusions. I am a leader and a juggernaut."

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
For shits and giggles though, can you elaborate on the thought process behind "I have the resolve of an aircraft carrier, and more desire than I can contain. I am shooting star– if you allow me this opportunity, I will make history. I shun no one. I want progress, not illusions. I am a leader and a juggernaut."

Alright. The statement about the aircraft carrier confused a lot of people. And you can continue to laugh about it, but it's actually a very reasonable and bold statement. It means exactly what it says: I have the determination of an aircraft carrier (my will is unbending, like a 100k tons of steel). You can make fun of it all you want. I was actually inspired to say it by a news article I was reading. A Chinese Naval officer said something along those same lines in regards to the fact that they wanted to build an aircraft carrier. I like that line, and when I make a new motivational statement that is a lot more appropriate, I'm still going to include that in it. In regards to the last sentence, I think that being an unstoppable leader is a great quality for a prospective Naval officer. Maybe it sounds too gay though. Everything in between was surely bullshit though.

phrogpilot73

I like that line, and when I make a new motivational statement that is a lot more appropriate, I'm still going to include that in it.
I wouldn't. One sentence alone could be what deep sixes a motivational statement, and you can see the reaction it's gotten here...

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Alright. The statement about the aircraft carrier confused a lot of people. And you can continue to laugh about it, but it's actually a very reasonable and bold statement. It means exactly what it says: I have the determination of an aircraft carrier (my will is unbending, like a 100k tons of steel). You can make fun of it all you want. I was actually inspired to say it by a news article I was reading. A Chinese Naval officer said something along those same lines in regards to the fact that they wanted to build an aircraft carrier. I like that line, and when I make a new motivational statement that is a lot more appropriate, I'm still going to include that in it. In regards to the last sentence, I think that being an unstoppable leader is a great quality for a prospective Naval officer. Maybe it sounds too gay though. Everything in between was surely bullshit though.

An inanimate object can't have resolve. Also, don't take inspiration from an article quoting a Chinese anyone. The translation undoubtedly comes across as odd at best.
If you want to talk about resolve, talk about the US Sailors who, day in and day out, do a thankless job defending our interests and freedoms. State how you want to lead those men and women and that there is no greater honor. As is, it sounds like you have no idea how to express yourself and are thus relying on awkward hyperbole. There is nothing reasonable and bold about the statement...it's silly.

IRfly

None
Come to think of it, pretty much the whole thing sounds a little "Chinee." Here are some other suggestions:

"See bad man, I heart flower angry open sooner."

"Go on deployment, tame all monsters yes."

"Run so fast, make ghost ass."

I'll be here all week.

(How's that for professionalism?)

bigfish

I can always fall back on my SAW skills
pilot
Come to think of it, pretty much the whole thing sounds a little "Chinee." Here are some other suggestions:

"See bad man, I heart flower angry open sooner."

"Go on deployment, tame all monsters yes."

"Run so fast, make ghost ass."

I'll be here all week.

(How's that for professionalism?)

I was not going to read this thread to the end, but I'm glad I did, that's friggin hilarious.

To hipfinnsy, I have a writing background (my dirty secret) and while part of me has some respect for your creative prose the 15 years in the military part of me says drop.the creative writing crap and just write down in plain concrete language why you want to be an officer, then a pilot also I would canx talk about your family, that crap is overrated, I've known quite a few shitbags whose dads were general officers just make your own way, unless it's the way of "resolve of an aircraft carrier." I just couldn't resist.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
In regards to the last sentence, I think that being an unstoppable leader is a great quality for a prospective Naval officer.
Leadership IS a great quality for a Naval officer. But just saying you're a leader doesn't mean you are one, you need to back that statement up. From all the questions and BS you post here, I'd say you're more of a follower than a leader.

Frankly, from the impressions you've given here, the idea of you being an officer in any service scares the hell out of me.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't know what being an "unstoppable leader" means. Can an unstoppable leader run through walls? Is he Harry Houdini, unable to be restrained by ropes and chains?

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
An inanimate object can't have resolve. Also, don't take inspiration from an article quoting a Chinese anyone. The translation undoubtedly comes across as odd at best.
If you want to talk about resolve, talk about the US Sailors who, day in and day out, do a thankless job defending our interests and freedoms. State how you want to lead those men and women and that there is no greater honor. As is, it sounds like you have no idea how to express yourself and are thus relying on awkward hyperbole. There is nothing reasonable and bold about the statement...it's silly.

Apparently you have a very one dimension form of thinking. Do you really want me to slice up the language here and explain it to you? Your argument that "an inanimate object can't have resolve" is flawed in two ways:

1) an inanimate object can have resolve. Resolves means determination. In the most denotative context, the word determination implies the decision or settlement arrived at or pronounced or a solution. If two men engage in a fight, and one of the men has a gun and shoots the other man, then the gun has determination. Thus, the gun has resolve, and an inanimate object is capable of having resolve. (though in this situation the inanimate object's resolve was depedent upon its use by a human, there are many examples I could illustrate that would take out the human action)

2) You are looking at an aircraft carrier as a very static concept. When I say an aircraft carrier, I do not mean a bunch of steel with guns on it that is sitting in a port. That would be inanimate. When I say an aircraft carrier, I am clearly referring to the aircraft carrier as a moving force guided by human beings. Thus, the aircraft carrier isn't an inanimate object at all. It seems to take on a life of its own as something larger than any human being.

Leadership IS a great quality for a Naval officer. But just saying you're a leader doesn't mean you are one, you need to back that statement up. From all the questions and BS you post here, I'd say you're more of a follower than a leader.

Frankly, from the impressions you've given here, the idea of you being an officer in any service scares the hell out of me.

While I understand why you might that opinion, your idea of me as an individual is incredibly limited and restricted to the few posts that I've made on this forum. Sure, sometimes I write some silly stuff because I think it's funny and I want to troll. In my academic studies and work I am actually a very efficient, considerate, and productive person. The assumption that I am a follower as opposed to a leader is baseless. I'm a very complex person, though sometimes erratic and ostensibly absurd. It's fine. I will get a commission, and hopefully as an aviator.

I'm not trying to go against what all of you are saying and defend my motivational statement, either. I realize that it's dog shit. I'm going to change it entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.