• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF Honchos Fired

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there precedent for that (I could look it up, but I feel like context and other "stuff" wiki can't give me is more valuable than just a couple dates and names)?

Bush kept George Tenet as DCI. Gates has been seen as relatively 'apolitical' in his running of the Defense Department, and it is hard to argue with success.....'The Surge'.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
What do we need boomers or even attack subs for? If Carrier
is any indicator, then we don't even need the friggin airwing since Al Asad sorties seem to be doing just fine putting iron on Hadji. DDGs? CGs? Easily replaced by other assets for this present war. Hell, let's just toss out the whole damn Navy.
Hey, what's that over there in the corner? What is that thing? Why, it's the Counter-Drug War!! ...and look over here, it's anti-piracy operations in HOA!! Oh, and it's our old friends Strategic Deterrence, Feedom of the Seas, and Humanitarian Assistance - so good to see you guys!!!

If Carrier taught us anything, its that there's a much bigger picture out there than that which is maintained by your average AOAN or nugget TACAIR dude(tte).

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
If the -22 is useless (V or F?? I forget which we are talking about sometimes when it comes to costs and current application...) then so are a lot of other assets.

What do we need boomers or even attack subs for? If Carrier
is any indicator, then we don't even need the friggin airwing since Al Asad sorties seem to be doing just fine putting iron on Hadji. DDGs? CGs? Easily replaced by other assets for this present war. Hell, let's just toss out the whole damn Navy.

The F-22 is not useless. If deterrence value, present and future there is a need for at least some of them. If we don't spend money on "crap" like that now we may as well start counting the days until January 1942: "de ja vouz alls over the 'gain".

Navy petitioning Congress to allow it to maintain 1 less carrier (temporarily?). Seawolf production cut short and replaced with the (marginally) more affordable Virginia class. No new boomer on the drawing board. About to be retired boomers converted to conventional strike/SOF insertion platforms. At the rate that the Zumwalt class is coming into service, the Burke class is likely to be around for a while.

So no, I don't see the analogy.

If the Navy were run like the AF, they'd be petitioning for a 1000 ship fleet and a new boomer by 2018.

The Navy catches shit for the A-12, but at least they had the good sense to sink it. Similarly for the Army's Commanche. Is there a major Air Force procurement program they've given up recently?

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
If it's deterrence you need, you could do a lot more with a dozen or so F-16's vice one F-22. Regardless of how good a Sukhoi (or whatever) is, I would be hard pressed to believe that it could take care of that many.

I'll chock that comment up to not knowing the capabilities of any of those three aircraft.

HackerF15E

None
Navy petitioning Congress to allow it to maintain 1 less carrier (temporarily?). Seawolf production cut short and replaced with the (marginally) more affordable Virginia class. No new boomer on the drawing board. About to be retired boomers converted to conventional strike/SOF insertion platforms. At the rate that the Zumwalt class is coming into service, the Burke class is likely to be around for a while.

The statement was made that, unless a combat system is actively directly engaged in the GWOT, then it is not on "active service".

How is it difficult to see the analogy to the types of USN ships that fit into that same category? I don't see the Ohio class over there busting up AQ training camps.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Hey, what's that over there in the corner? What is that thing? Why, it's the Counter-Drug War!! ...and look over here, it's anti-piracy operations in HOA!! Oh, and it's our old friends Strategic Deterrence, Feedom of the Seas, and Humanitarian Assistance - so good to see you guys!!!

If Carrier taught us anything, its that there's a much bigger picture out there than that which is maintained by your average AOAN or nugget TACAIR dude(tte).

That was kind of what I was hinting at... guess that wasn't clear. :(

If the Navy were run like the AF, they'd be petitioning for a 1000 ship fleet and a new boomer by 2018.

The Navy catches shit for the A-12, but at least they had the good sense to sink it. Similarly for the Army's Commanche. Is there a major Air Force procurement program they've given up recently?

We aren't gutting the Navy to fund the GWOT, was what I was getting at. BUT, deterrence matters. Here's my (potentially WRONG) reasoning:

Since we are no longer in the MAD / first-strike business or worried about Fulda Gap, the cuts you point out all make a lot of sense. To focus greatly on either new boomers or new scout helo would be similar to training our infantry in trench warfare, "just in case." The money is clearly better spent elsewhere.

Even with '70s era surface combatants, we OWN the BLUE-WATER around the world. In the air, however, our technological edge is continually challenged. The infastructure required to lay down high-tech keels is MUCH greater than that requried to buy / steal critical technologies and update 4th gen aiframes.

It makes sense to me to develop and field the F-22 in the middle of the GWOT, if not necessarily in the numbers the Air Force would like.

snake020

Contributor
How is it difficult to see the analogy to the types of USN ships that fit into that same category? I don't see the Ohio class over there busting up AQ training camps.

And I don't see the sissies with their missile wings sitting in their silos doing that either. Hell, at least four of the Ohio class CAN bust up AQ training camps without starting a nuclear war.

HackerF15E

None
And I don't see the sissies with their missile wings sitting in their silos doing that either. Hell, at least four of the Ohio class CAN bust up AQ training camps without starting a nuclear war.

Well, I'm not the one making the claim that a weapon system has to be actively engaged in OEF/OIF to be considered on "active service".

That's about the biggest 90-degree non-sequitur turn to an argument that I've seen on this forum.

HackerF15E

None
RE:HackerF-15E

You have to respect a guy who jumps into an ambush thread like this.

Way to represent...

The vast majority of the time on this forum people are able to discuss USAF issues without it turning into a legitimate monkeysh*t throwing fight.

I think that in general the people who are actually engaged in the business of flying and fighting don't have any actual problems with brother services. The majority of the ignorant words like that come from people who haven't spent a day on active duty even working around people from other services. I know that I had some pretty ignorant beliefs about how other services operated based on the biases we all get where we are raised as officers and warriors. Once I got to operate with the Navy, Army, and Marines on an operational basis I shed a lot of those biases. I realized that there were ways that the USAF did it wrong, and some ways that other services did it better. No shame in that so far as I'm concerned. I'd like to think there are some Navy guys that think similarly after working with USAF types.

Of course there will be good natured ribbing...it's tradition...but I'd like to think that beyond that, guys with the gold-colored wings would respect the contributions made by the guys with the silver-colored wings and vice versa. Hell, it's no different than the 'hate' that exists between Tomcat and Hornet guys who rag each other incessantly -- right up to the point that the AF guy walks into the bar, and then they both unite to make fun of the blue-suit guy. An hour later, they're probably all blitzed and shooting each others' watches like they were always close buds.

Both of our services have highly skilled people that do an impressive job with the mission they're charged to do. Both of our services have people and organizations that make ridiculously embarassing decisions or mistakes and open us up to ridicule from the other side.

In this case, with the very public firings of the AF's senior leadership, there is a legit discussion to be had about why it happened and what the road ahead is.

Zissou

Banned
Hacker,

I was an E-4 when the Chief of Naval Operations committed suicide. The Navy is no stranger to dirty laundry in the open. I was actually depressed that day and Im no poster boy for Go Navy. But even I felt the sting. Many here feel your pain in spite of the vindication of opinions.

I do not relish your Sec or COS's public flogging. And I'm sure no one here really does.

As a recipient of USAF CAS I have nothing but thanks and respect for USAF zoomies.

The f-22 costs a zillion dollars. So does the Seawolf. I could give a sh$t either way.

I just had lunch with an Infantry BN CO who was alloted 300rds per man for pre-deployment training. These kids will be in Iraq in six weeks!.

I must have faith that the Big Bosses know more than me. That they made smart decisions even if they don't make sense to me. The core leadership of the Air Force has just been sacked. I feel for the E-4 who is deciding whether to give it another tour or bounce. His faith was just tested.

Stay Low...

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
The vast majority of the time on this forum people are able to discuss USAF issues without it turning into a legitimate monkeysh*t throwing fight.

I think that in general the people who are actually engaged in the business of flying and fighting don't have any actual problems with brother services. The majority of the ignorant words like that come from people who haven't spent a day on active duty even working around people from other services. I know that I had some pretty ignorant beliefs about how other services operated based on the biases we all get where we are raised as officers and warriors. Once I got to operate with the Navy, Army, and Marines on an operational basis I shed a lot of those biases. I realized that there were ways that the USAF did it wrong, and some ways that other services did it better. No shame in that so far as I'm concerned. I'd like to think there are some Navy guys that think similarly after working with USAF types.

Of course there will be good natured ribbing...it's tradition...but I'd like to think that beyond that, guys with the gold-colored wings would respect the contributions made by the guys with the lead-colored wings and vice versa. Hell, it's no different than the 'hate' that exists between Tomcat and Hornet guys who rag each other incessantly -- right up to the point that the AF guy walks into the bar, and then they both unite to make fun of the blue-suit guy. An hour later, they're probably all blitzed and shooting each others' watches like they were always close buds.

Both of our services have highly skilled people that do an impressive job with the mission they're charged to do. Both of our services have people and organizations that make ridiculously embarassing decisions or mistakes and open us up to ridicule from the other side.

In this case, with the very public firings of the AF's senior leadership, there is a legit discussion to be had about why it happened and what the road ahead is.
I agree with everything except for one thing....fixed it for you.:D