• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF enlisted aircrew wings and maintenance badge for OCS

Bam Bam

FTS AMDO
I am leaving for OCS in a few weeks and I went through the list of ribbons and medals that are authorized to wear and I have that squared away. My question is about my enlisted wings and maintenance badge I received from my service in the Air Force, am I supposed to wear them too? Or do I just bring the ribbons with me? Thanks guys in advance.

Here are the two links that I used to find out what carried over from the AF to the Navy.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/uniforms/uniformregulations/chapter5/Pages/5301.aspx
http://www.ocs.navy.mil/service_awards.asp

The second link is very informative because it tells you what ribbons are not authorized for wear on the Navy uniform. I was able to transfer 11 out of 17 ribbons / medals. The Navy didn't allow me to transfer my "plays well with others" ribbon or "showed up for work on time 5 days straight" medal but the important ones carried over. ;)

Good luck and have fun in Newport!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yep. A different time, admittedly. Hope it NEVER comes again, but I do think the current FRS's actually plan for the possibility…and know who to send forward when times are shitty. Good for them….

At least on the helo side, the FRS doesn't slate the FRPs to the forward deployed billets. They're selected out of the HTs. The FRS will move bodies around if someone who was slated can't go (due to family issues or timing), but that usually starts with asking the FRPs "who wants to go to X?"

Now, does the FRS pass along the info on who are the players and who aren't to the fleet squadrons? Of course they do.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I like how this discussion went from which enlisted breast devices were considered warfare qualifications to comparing SWO vs. Pilot training pipelines. WTF dudes?
I think discussing the way different communities do things has some merit, especially when the surface/sub community have had more mishaps than they'd like lately and one of the root causes is always poorly trained watchstander(s) on watch at the wrong time. The solution is always more CO oversight and acting like the deficiencies within those units were special snowflakes instead of taking a hard look at how we train and qualify watchstanders.

Aviation and apparently SPECWAR are unique in the way they train people before hitting the fleet. Having experienced the SWO-ish* way, I think what aviation does makes a whole lot of sense and produces better trained, more capable officers. By not being in an operational unit, you don't have to do your qualifications between the ship's routine, learning to manage a division that doesn't respect you because you're not qualified anything, and miscellaneous DH bitch tasking. And because you're already assigned to the ship/sub, there's pressure to lower the bar for those who struggle because it's better than the alternative -- getting a new guy and waiting another 12-18 months until he's fully qualified. The upshot is the qualifications would take a shorter amount of time, too, because that's all you have to do.

But there are many like Steve who scoff at the idea of doing qualifications off of the ship, so here we are.

As for the warfare device question, it's been answered several pages ago. It's clearly spelled out in the Navy uniform regs.

*Yes, we get a year of nuclear training, but subs consist of more than an engineroom and reactor compartment.

Renegade One

None
I think discussing the way different communities do things has some merit, especially when the surface/sub community have had more mishaps than they'd like lately and one of the root causes is always poorly trained watchstander(s) on watch at the wrong time. The solution is always more CO oversight and acting like the deficiencies within those units were special snowflakes instead of taking a hard look at how we train and qualify watchstanders.

Aviation and apparently SPECWAR are unique in the way they train people before hitting the fleet.
Different communities…different ways of doing things. Yes to that.

Can't really speak for the SEALs, but aviation has long had a history of "on any given day, everyone's odds of getting shot down are equal". Probably why we've long held to the whole "XO will fleet up" command thingie…and why JOs need to show up ready to fly wing/drop ordnance on Mr. Nasty/and land back on the boat…all by themselves, in most cases. I gather, from other sources, that other communities are embracing this as well..hopefully, not for the same reasons. If nothing else, the aviation XO can't be a total asshole while s/he's doing the XO thing… ;)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Well, there are a lot of more senior officers who would have to become incapacitated for a nub JO to be conning the ship in a situation that involved ordinance. However, being an expert at the rules of the road (and target motion analysis techniques for subs), navigation procedures, ship's routine evolutions, casualty procedures, and damage control coordination is expected but often not attained thanks to all the other 'plates' you are balancing while onboard an operational unit.

You read incident reports for colllisions and they have a tone of 'how dare a CO be sleeping at 0200 when a JO is on watch who has only been qualified for 2 months.' Well, if he's qualified to stand the watch then the CO shouldn't need to babysit him in order to safely navigate the ship and avoid scraping paint.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ahh, gotcha. I would argue flight school is a little different than prototype, in that (theoretically), a pilot can get in and operate an aircraft completely by himself, but I certainly get your point.
That's the idea behind prototype....at least is was when I went through. Once I qualified, they stuck my ass on the watchbill just like the other staff. No supervisory positions of course, but I did stand Electrical Operator on my own. Same for the student EOOW's. Once they qual'd, they stood watch on their own.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Calling Stearmann.... That doesn't sound right.

My understanding was that SQT was within their SEAL Team, which is the operational unit. But maybe that's changed. After SQT, and a "robust" PQS, then they get their pin...again, from the Teams.
That was exactly my understanding as well. But I could be wrong.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But there are many like Steve who scoff at the idea of doing qualifications off of the ship, so here we are.
If you are referring to me, where did you get the impression that I scoff at the idea of doing qual's off the ship?

Renegade One

None
At least on the helo side, the FRS doesn't slate the FRPs to the forward deployed billets. They're selected out of the HTs.
Got it. I think I was only harkening back to my own TACAIR/FW experience, which I understand still has some merit today. While enjoying some stogies and cool adult beverages on the MCAS O'Club patio two months ago with the VMFAT-101 LSOs (largely Navy dudes), I'm led to believe that "some animals are more equal than other animals"…based on their FRS CQ performance. Believe the current taxonomy is "CAT 1"…they/we were called "CAT ALFAs" in my FRS Nugget days…but it's all the same. Nothing quite says "send him/her first" like being fairly certain s/he can land back on the boat after whatever comes in between the cat and trap.

"You have to land here, son…this is where the food is!" ~Anon

Last edited:

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CAT I is just a term for a dude that is going through the RAG on their first platform, not quality driven. A CAT II is someone who is changing platforms (i.e. P-3 to P-8). CAT III is for guys going back to the RAG before DH, and CAT V for before XO/CO tour. Just nomenclature for the different syllabi.

Renegade One

None
CAT I is just a term for a dude/dudette that is going through the RAG on their first platform, not quality driven. A CAT II is someone who is changing platforms (i.e. P-3 to P-8). CAT III is for guys going back to the RAG before DH, and CAT V for before XO/CO tour. Just nomenclature for the different syllabi.
FIFY (you sexist bastard ;)). I defer to my patio discussion with the LSOs…we're close here. Some animals are more equal...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Got it. I think I was only harkening back to my own TACAIR/FW experience, which I understand still has some merit today. While enjoying some stogies and cool adult beverages on the MCAS O'Club patio two months ago with the VMFAT-101 LSOs (largely Navy dudes), I'm led to believe that "some animals are more equal than other animals"…based on their FRS CQ performance. Believe the current taxonomy is "CAT 1"…they/we were called "CAT ALFAs" in my FRS Nugget days…but it's all the same. Nothing quite says "send him/her first" like being fairly certain s/he can land back on the boat after whatever comes in between the cat and trap.

"You have to land here, son…this is where the food is!" ~Anon

As a salty Midshipman, I heard something similar during my summer cruise, especially as it applies to going to the smaller decks (like the Kitty Hawk and...I'm forgetting the one before it) out in Japan. I'm curious to hear from the Jet dudes how their selection works. Do they get "Japan" out of the VTs or out of the RAG?

(And yes, I'm aware the smaller decks are gone now).

R1, I would say that what you describe has a lot less to do with being tactically above average and therefore closer to the action (like FDNF), and more about just being able to get back on the boat. Obviously still an important bullet on the resume.

Renegade One

None
As a salty Midshipman, I heard something similar during my summer cruise, especially as it applies to going to the smaller decks (like the Kitty Hawk and...I'm forgetting the one before it) out in Japan. I'm curious to hear from the Jet dudes how their selection works. Do they get "Japan" out of the VTs or out of the RAG?

(And yes, I'm aware the smaller decks are gone now).

R1, I would say that what you describe has a lot less to do with being tactically above average and therefore closer to the action (like FDNF), and more about just being able to get back on the boat. Obviously still an important bullet on the resume.
Depends. Again…in my time…are we discussing pilots or RIOs/BNs/RANs/ECMOs/AICOs or what?

Different ALFA animals, to be sure. With different standards. And way back when…everyone was as close to the action as anyone else. FDNF hadn't been invented yet.

Now? Them…yes…I expect they get a special cull of the FRS nuggets.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Depends. Again…in my time…are we discussing pilots or RIOs/BNs/RANs/ECMOs/AICOs or what?

I have no idea. It's your words:

Renegade One said:
In my time, replacement aircrew were trained in the FRS (some assessed as better than others, to be sure…we called them "Category ALFAs") to a level that would enable them to be shipped out immediately as "combat replacement aircrew":

"Welcome aboard…here's your stateroom...you're on the morning strike." Probably not QUITE that dramatic…but you get the idea. Immediately employable…once they'd paid their Mess Bill...:)

My point is that sometimes the decisions are made outside of the Operational Theater.

Different ALFA animals, to be sure. With different standards. And way back when…everyone was as close to the action as anyone else. FDNF hadn't been invented yet.

I beg to differ. My dad was "in" at the heart of the VN war. His classmates were in Saigon harbor getting "counseled" on why they shouldn't be there, at one point. Meanwhile, he was keeping democracy safe by patrolling the war-torn waters of the Caribbean and Europe. To say that everyone was close to the action is disingenuous.

Last edited:

Renegade One

None
I have no idea. It's your words:

My point is that sometimes the decisions are made outside of the Operational Theater.

I beg to differ. My dad was "in" at the heard of the VN war. His classmates were in Saigon harbor getting "counseled" on why they shouldn't be there, at one point. Meanwhile, he was keeping democracy safe by patrolling the war-torn waters of the Caribbean and Europe. To say that everyone was close to the action is disingenuous.
I'm sure you're right…we got disconnected somehow…cool with me. I was just talking about West Coast RAG students all being headed that way….and nothing else.

OBTW…I never saw actual combat in VN.