• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice, Buying a Truck

m3urthy

Why don't you have a seat right over there.
Perhaps you should make this your new avatar

taliban_pickup_truc_23cars.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Google Hilux and you'll see what I mean. That thing is rock solid.

If you've never seen these videos, they'll make you a believer. Plus they're damn amusing.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=top+gear+hilux&search=Search

For those of you w/ 6 cylinder Tacomas, how is the towing? Should I decide throw away money in the form of another boat, I would need a way to tow it, and a Tacoma seems to be the answer, as long as it could get out of it's own way. I'm thinking around 4000#, which I know is in the towing limit, but wondering how the actual power is.

Webmaster's V6, 240 HP ride did alright w/ a similar sized boat, but curious how the Tacoma would fair. Thoughts?

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
Just to throw another vote in for the Tacoma. I have an '07 Double Cab V6 Pre-Runner Sport. I kick about 23MPG (A/C off, mixed mileage, 21 w/ A/C) running mobile 1 and a Borla cat back. I opted for the towing package which give me 6500# of towing plus the 1500# load, making it an excellent truck for dity moves. The thing tows like a champ, from boats to 5000# trailers. With a load I get about 14mpg, so that sucks but its better than feeding a V8. I don't drive it too hard so that helps, but if I need it there's a lot of pedal out there. When I bought mine I got it on special financing at 1.9% on 48 months. Is the Nissan cheaper.. yes... but in my opinion the quality I saw in the new Frontiers compared to the Tacomas was night and day. Plus the Taco is a little bit bigger, but not oversized like the Tundra. After just under a year and just over 12,000 miles, I'm still a satified customer. BTW... the tacos have quite a bit of room in the price mine stickered at $28k got it out the door at $23.7k +the exhaust. Just do the research and I can bet you will be a happy camper too.

k_smittay

For those of you w/ 6 cylinder Tacomas, how is the towing? Should I decide throw away money in the form of another boat, I would need a way to tow it, and a Tacoma seems to be the answer, as long as it could get out of it's own way. I'm thinking around 4000#, which I know is in the towing limit, but wondering how the actual power is.

With a 2000 3.4L V6 4Runner (same engine and chassis as a tacoma), we pulled a loaded down box trailer 3500+ lbs from Phoenix to San Diego and it towed it like a champ.

Also towing an 18ft skeeter bass boat wasn't an issue either. Did fairly well in the hills. Was a little revvy, but so is my V8 dodge ram going through the hills with a trailer.

We will stick with toyota forever. Would go to a Sequioa but gas is $$$.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I drive a 2007 Tacoma. This is my fourth pickup (second Tacoma) and I am sold on Toyota. The only reason I traded my old '04 for the '07 was to go from extended cab to double cab. I have no personal experience with Nissan products, but I would definitely advise you to go with a Toyota based on my experience with my two. I don't get quite as good of gas mileage as the guys who have posted here so far but I also drive a 4x4 truck in San Diego traffic. I average 17 mpg compared to the 20 mpg I got when I lived in Milton.

The truck itself is rock solid (as was the '04). I bought the double cab model for the extra space and have been thoroughly pleased. I grew up driving full size, American-made trucks and was a little skeptical at downsizing to a midsize/compact. For Toyota, model years '05 and newer are MUCH LARGER on the inside. I found myself feeling cramped in my '04 if I needed to fill the cab with gear or drive any people around. The newer body style affords much more interior room and I absolutely love it.

To the original poster, I know you're looking at getting a 4-cyl model. If you don't have your mind made up about that I'd urge you to at least consider a 6-cylinder engine. At least test drive the two before you make a decision. Like someone else said, if you're going for MPG then get a car. If you need the utility of a truck I think you'll find yourself much happier with a V-6.

Feel free to ask/PM me anything about the '04, the '07, Toyota in general, or anything else.

Gatordev - I wouldn't recommend towing a 4000# load with a Tacoma unless you get a 2005 or newer. The engine will do fine with that much weight. You'll need to see your dealer about the rear suspension though. A lot of people who tow/carry heavy loads have found the rear leaf springs to be inadequate. Toyota will replace them under warranty. I have a lot more information on this subject if you're that interested. :D

MSkinsATC

pilot
Tacoma!! I have a 2006 V6 Extended Cab Pre-Runner Sport Package 6 speed manual.(If youre gonna spend the money the V6 is way more worth it....test drive both, I promise you will like the bigger engine) I got it with the towing package and as already stated it gives you 6500# of towing. I get about 24mpg highway and about 20 city driving! Has some great get up and go, lots of power I hardly ever use. It is very easy to work on...especially an oil change. I have about 30,000 miles on it and have never had a problem. This is my second Tacoma, and my dad liked mine so much, he went and bout one for himself a month later. Toyota just makes a great car, take care of it and it will take care of you!!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks for the towing info, all.

Gatordev - I wouldn't recommend towing a 4000# load with a Tacoma unless you get a 2005 or newer. The engine will do fine with that much weight. You'll need to see your dealer about the rear suspension though. A lot of people who tow/carry heavy loads have found the rear leaf springs to be inadequate. Toyota will replace them under warranty. I have a lot more information on this subject if you're that interested. :D

It's all in the (potential) grand plan. If I decide to go that route, I'll keep you (and this thread) in mind.

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
Yup, I'm gonna put a plug in for the Toyota Tacoma. I just sold my '97 :)() but while I had it, it was a great truck, had a 4-cyl that made decent power, and got about 16-18 mpg around town - which happens to be hilly terrain.
HOWEVER, that said, look into a V-6 if you get a Tacoma. It makes a little more power, but overall, in 4x4 trim, gets about the same mileage as the 4-cylinder. Also, aftermarket parts are a little easier to come by for the Tacoma V-6 than they are for the Tacoma 4-cyl.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
Well, I ended up getting a 2005 Tacoma TRD Prerunner SR5 with the V6. I am super excited. This truck has a surprising amount of "get up and go" for a V6. Thanks again for all of your advice!

FLY_USMC

pilot
Rather than editing my post, I wanted to let ya'll know that you can get 4.94% applying online with USAA right now since interest rates have gone down.

Random8145

What is this, the whole forum drives Toyota trucks!? You guys don't like Ford, GMC, Chevy, or Dodge?

Seriously though, is the quality of those trucks not as good as the Toyota or something? I have been told this, but then I've been told that's baloney and that Toyota has their share of problems as well.

Lawman

None
What is this, the whole forum drives Toyota trucks!? You guys don't like Ford, GMC, Chevy, or Dodge?

Seriously though, is the quality of those trucks not as good as the Toyota or something? I have been told this, but then I've been told that's baloney and that Toyota has their share of problems as well.

Ok Ill bite

F Toyota, F them right in the Ass. I work as a Chrysler Jeep Dodge Salesmen. As for the "quality" or "ability" hey bring the most powerful truck Toyota has in its fleet of Pickups and Ill drag it across the lot wheels screaming in agony with my Cummins Diesel Duely we got in the back.