• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advantages and Disadvantages of Different Aircraft

Davis

Air Force Kid in a Navy Forum... Death Wish?
This is a tough question as it involve info from different communities and a helo pilot is going to tell you helo's are great. A jet pilot will tell you jets are great. I say do the search, read what folks have written in the past and go from there. For some folks, what they want changes once they are in flight school. That jet wannabe discovers going upside isn't so fun but flying low and slow is what it's all about. As a jet IP, I'm seeing studs who want tactical jets but they get to forms and it's a no go, too stressful, want E2/C2. I say have a goal and go for it but know that it could change and it could also be left in the Navy's hands, meaning the Navy's needs come first. You might have the desire and grades to fly jets but it there are only helo slots, welcome to the helo community!
Sounds like a plan. Makes sense. Thanks for the info.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
When you posed this question to Air Force bubbas, what did they say? Because, as an AFROTC guy, you did discuss this with some of your brothers in blue before coming here, right?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Pros: Hot pockets, a rack, and a pisser. Per Diem...sometimes.

Cons: 10+ hour burners, no shitter, old ass brokedick airplanes.

Davis

When you posed this question to Air Force bubbas, what did they say? Because, as an AFROTC guy, you did discuss this with some of your brothers in blue before coming here, right?
Honestly, I have not found an Air Force forum equivalent to this, yet. Where there's a lot of flyers answering questions. The officers in my detachment are not pilots. The one WSO, who's the commander here, has only flown in F-15s and E-6s when he did two tours with the Navy. And, obviously, the cadets who've been given pilot slots have not actually began the flying yet. So I have not really found any AF guys who have experience in lots of aircraft. Ideally, I wanna talk to someone who's flown more than one of the types I've mentioned, so there's less 'bias.' But, as suggested, I'll do my homework and research.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
yup, sounds pretty lame. i loved to shit on them when i was at school..."what kinda wings are those? oh...you didn't earn them, they just gave them to you? gay."

Davis

yup, sounds pretty lame. i loved to shit on them when i was at school..."what kinda wings are those? oh...you didn't earn them, they just gave them to you? gay."
But wouldn't you take a flight suit if it was handed to you when you were in college?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
But wouldn't you take a flight suit if it was handed to you when you were in college?

But my question is. . . .what are they flying? Are they in a flying status, earning flight pay? Just seems like one of those things that ought to be earned. In the Navy, it's almost a rite of passage in API on the day that you 'earn' your flight suit. Seeing college students wear them around campus just seems kind of, well, retarded.

Davis

But my question is. . . .what are they flying? Are they in a flying status, earning flight pay? Just seems like one of those things that ought to be earned. In the Navy, it's almost a rite of passage in API on the day that you 'earn' your flight suit. Seeing college students wear them around campus just seems kind of, well, retarded.
Well, they have earned their pilot slots. Which, in my opinion, is quite an achievement. Getting a slot in such a competitive area is not a bad accomplishment. I don't know if you're under the impression that ALL cadets in AFROTC get flight suits? You're only issued one if you get a pilot/nav/ABM slot.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Well, they have earned their pilot slots. Which, in my opinion, is quite an achievement. Getting a slot in such a competitive area is not a bad accomplishment. I don't know if you're under the impression that ALL cadets in AFROTC get flight suits? You're only issued one if you get a pilot/nav/ABM slot.

And you don't think getting a pilot slot in the Navy is competitive? Look at the August 2011 OCS board thread if you have any doubts. I don't think being selected is the same thing as earning it. For instance, I haven't earned my place in Naval Aviation yet, but I've been lucky enough to be selected for that chance. The same holds true for your ROTC brethren. We may agree to disagree on the matter, but that's just how I feel.

Davis

And you don't think getting a pilot slot in the Navy is competitive? Look at the August 2011 OCS board thread if you have any doubts. I don't think being selected is the same thing as earning it. For instance, I haven't earned my place in Naval Aviation yet, but I've been lucky enough to be selected for that chance. The same holds true for your ROTC brethren. We may agree to disagree on the matter, but that's just how I feel.
Congrats and good luck. If you look at my previous posts, I never said anywhere that getting a Navy slot is not competitive. I'm sure it's very competitive as well. But anyway, seeing as most of the people selected for a pilot slot will succeed in UPT and get their wings... no, I don't think giving them a flight suit their last year and half of college is such a bad thing. It is not like they're getting their wings - they still have to earn those. But, by getting selected to go to UPT, they earn the flight suit.

Good luck in training! I have lots of respect for you.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Pilot/WSO selectees wearing a flight suit? Eh, doesn't bother me that much. Missileers and shit? Now THAT is ridiculous.