• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advantages and Disadvantages of Different Aircraft

Davis

Air Force Kid in a Navy Forum... Death Wish?
Hi,

Can someone please tell me some different advantages and disadvantages of flying the following:
  • Combat jets (fighters, attack aircraft)
  • Bombers
  • Transport/Midair Refuelers
  • Helicopters
I want to get an idea of, if I could choose any aircraft out there, which type I would lean toward. I know a lot has to do with personal preference, but I just want a basic idea.
Thanks, everyone.

jtmedli

pilot
I want to get an idea of, if I could choose any aircraft out there, which type I would lean toward. I know a lot has to do with personal preference, but I just want a basic idea.

Thanks, everyone.

Grades + needs of the Navy/AF. Personal preference plays a relatively small part and if the first two aren't in order then it isnt gonna happen.

I was in your same boat when I was applying and the best advice I can give you is to ask the more important questions: "What's it like getting paid to fly everyday?" and "Any advice for primary/UPT" (assuming you get selected). The rest of that 'fighter/bomber/cargo/helo' stuff will come into play and you'll get plenty of chances to fly with IPs who have flown all of the above. So far I've IPs who have pretty much flown everything there is to fly in the Navy. Just ask. They'll tell you anything you want to know about it.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Hmm, a P-3 isn't a helicopter. Not really a transporter and can't do mid air refueling. Can do bombing but not considered a bomber. I guess that means we're a combat jet/attack aircraft.

I'm sure none of this will be biased either.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
You're asking a very big question that takes a lot of time to answer. Most people have only flown in their communities, and may not have lots of experience flying or working with other communities. You should search the forums and see what people say about their aircraft and their experiences. An open question like this is far too vague.

A question like this won't get answered the way you want to. Be more practical, realistic, and do a bit of reading on the site and you'll find the answers you need. And if you have more specific questions, then feel free to ask. Just do your homework first.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Hmm, a P-3 isn't a helicopter. Not really a transporter and can't do mid air refueling. Can do bombing but not considered a bomber. I guess that means we're a combat jet/attack aircraft.

I'm sure none of this will be biased either.
I FINALLY GOT JETS!!!!!

Edit: I don't see this going anywhere good.

Davis

A question like this won't get answered the way you want to. Be more practical, realistic, and do a bit of reading on the site and you'll find the answers you need. And if you have more specific questions, then feel free to ask. Just do your homework first.

Thanks, Revan. Wilco.

81montedriver

pilot
Just a heads up: This forum has been around for over ten years. Throughout those years, many young and information hungry individuals like yourself have asked a multitude of questions, including the one you seek answers for.

With that being said, many people on this site get pissed when someone just asks questions without researching them. Part of your process for getting into/through flight school is using your initiative and determination without depending on others.

Moral of the story: The search function is your friend and so is Google. If you can't find it after that, then we are all ears.

Davis

^ Yup, got it. Thanks for not being someone who gets pissed and just giving me the advice.

Davis

Just remember that mockery, intimidation, and sarcasm are instructional techniques too :)

Oh, I know. I'm very sarcastic myself, and I figure I should get used to that type of stuff if I'm gonna be around pilots and military personnel in general. I just hope that smiley face wasn't sarcastic. Because that would be too much for me.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
This is a tough question as it involve info from different communities and a helo pilot is going to tell you helo's are great. A jet pilot will tell you jets are great. I say do the search, read what folks have written in the past and go from there. For some folks, what they want changes once they are in flight school. That jet wannabe discovers going upside isn't so fun but flying low and slow is what it's all about. As a jet IP, I'm seeing studs who want tactical jets but they get to forms and it's a no go, too stressful, want E2/C2. I say have a goal and go for it but know that it could change and it could also be left in the Navy's hands, meaning the Navy's needs come first. You might have the desire and grades to fly jets but it there are only helo slots, welcome to the helo community!