• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advanced Standing Rumor

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
jai5w4 said:
Don't know that it's so much a "FY" thing as much as a "We don't have places to put all the officers we have now" thing.

Always fluctuates though....up, down, up, down. Just get on for the ride and do your best!

jai5w4 :icon_smil

Hey, baby, I am here for the needs of the Navy. I don't know John from Jack Schitt, but I kinda figured it is a little of both. But, hey, if I get a two year scholarship its a moot point. Here is a question for you: are the majority of guys getting picked up for 2 year scholarships and advanced standing tech majors?

Purduenavy, I feel your pain. Good Luck! BTW, did you take the Calc and physics classes required for the scholarship kids? Our unit class advisors told is in one of our many briefs, that it is greatly beneficial to you when you apply for a two year scholarship and advanced standing application.

purduenavy

BDCP SNA
I'd taken 2 semesters of engineering calc and the first semester of engineering physics...I did decent....a C and a B in calc and a B in physics...I was told not a single person in the country got advanced standing this year, from the impression I got its going to be the same next year. If you arent on scholarship before your junior year you SOL. So BDCP here I come!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
did you just not want to do scholarship? I would think that you probably could have been picked up, especially since you already had some of the req's done. Also, I know of guys who got picked up w/ worse grades in their technical classes than that......

MIDNJAC said:
did you just not want to do scholarship? I would think that you probably could have been picked up, especially since you already had some of the req's done. Also, I know of guys who got picked up w/ worse grades in their technical classes than that......

Are you saying you know ppl who got picked up this year?

purduenavy

BDCP SNA
I did want to get picked up for scholarship, especially since i had done more math and physics than i had too. And I know some people did get picked up, but I assume they were all engineers. The skipper wouldn't tell me who had gotten picked up.

purduenavy

BDCP SNA
If you were one of the people shafted by the no advanced standing this year, looking into the blue to green program. It's for navy/air force personell to transfer over to the army. As Midshipman in NROTC we are eligible for this program (its a lot of money if you need it to pay for school and you still get to serve your country, its a great deal if you ask me.) If you are interested you can email LTC Ashley at Terri.Ashley@us.army.mil.

USN99

USN99
None
Some interesting numbers

MIDNJAC said:
For the last couple of years I've been hearing that they were needing to cut NROTC numbers down, ...

I did a little internet research and took a look at the Navy MilPers BES/POM for the outyears. In the section on Officer Accessions you see a startling pattern. The Navy seems to be trending toward getting 900/900/900 each year from USNA/NROTC/OCS. These numbers don't include medical/dental types, chaplains, and other staff corps types from what I could tell. They would include, all warfare specialties plus the usual Supply, CEC, Intel, etc., etc. Frankly, I was surprised. I was expecting NROTC to be a little more than USNA with OCS a distant third. But the trend is entirely different.

This matches what I've heard coming out of USNA, i.e., entering Plebe Classes are gradually going down. It follows that NROTC scholarships would be similarly declining over time.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
USN99 said:
I did a little internet research and took a look at the Navy MilPers BES/POM for the outyears. In the section on Officer Accessions you see a startling pattern. The Navy seems to be trending toward getting 900/900/900 each year from USNA/NROTC/OCS. These numbers don't include medical/dental types, chaplains, and other staff corps types from what I could tell. They would include, all warfare specialties plus the usual Supply, CEC, Intel, etc., etc. Frankly, I was surprised. I was expecting NROTC to be a little more than USNA with OCS a distant third. But the trend is entirely different.

This matches what I've heard coming out of USNA, i.e., entering Plebe Classes are gradually going down. It follows that NROTC scholarships would be similarly declining over time.

Thank you, sir, for that nugget of information. Do you know what the numbers have been trending from previous years? I bet it is a sharp decline. That makes it all the more difficult, for me at least, to pick a 2 year scholarship. Difficult, not impossible.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Purduenavy,
I hope you truly don't believe you weren't shafted intentionally by the Navy/NROTC program. If you do feel this way, then you were mis-led by your NROTC staff.
As a former NROTC Freshman advisor I told all of my students that the Navy preferred "Technical" majors over "non-technical." I'm assuming that you knew that?

If not, then you were shafted.

If you did know that, then you chose your fate...Non-Tech v. Tech

No, a 3.47 in a NON-TECHNICAL major is NOT competitive. You'd need a 3.8 - 4.0 GPA to really shine. Your major & GPA are only part of the equation. What classes did you take. Any hard classes toward your major? What was your Midn Aptitude scores, where did you rank in your class and what was your CO's ranking of everyone that was submitted for scholarship? They ALL play a part. You are somewhat to blame for not being selected. C & B in Math and a B in Physics (not really cream of the crop or a top performer).

SO, it all boils down to the NEEDS OF THE NAVY. The Navy can be as selective as they want. Remember it's a competition until the end...

ea6bflyr

purduenavy said:
I was one of the ones that got shafted by the no advanced standing this year. Apparently a 3.47 in Poli Sci and History isn't good enough. I don't know how it is at other units but some of the other people picked up for scholarship are sorta shaddy, I'm pretty bitter about it. Oh well, OCS here I come!

purduenavy

BDCP SNA
Sir,

My class ranking was 9 of 40 some, I was the top person put in for the scholarship. Yes I had taken 300 level courses towards my major (junior level classes at sophmore level). I was an early promote on my evals and I was very active within NROTC. What I was refering to as "shaddy" was that OLS majors (Organization Leadership Studies) were considered techinical, but are regarded as easy majors (majors taken by varsity athletes). Poli Sci at Purdue is not easy, and taking engineering physics and calc at a engineering university is definitally not easy for a political science major. When I did better in those classes than some people that came in with a scholarship it makes me wonder why I wasn't given one. I believe that the whole process needs to be re-looked at by the navy. I would have liked to picked up a scholarship but if I didn't it wouldn't have bothered me so much. It was that no advanced standing was given this year even though I have outperformed many of the scholarship students that I have not been given any chance to serve in the Navy I feel betrayed. I have worked so hard for 2 years, I am very bitter about not even receiving advanced standing.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Since I'm not hip to the slang, what does this mystical "advanced standing" consist of?

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
purduenavy said:
When I did better in those classes than some people that came in with a scholarship it makes me wonder why I wasn't given one. I believe that the whole process needs to be re-looked at by the navy. I would have liked to picked up a scholarship but if I didn't it wouldn't have bothered me so much. It was that no advanced standing was given this year even though I have outperformed many of the scholarship students that I have not been given any chance to serve in the Navy I feel betrayed. I have worked so hard for 2 years, I am very bitter about not even receiving advanced standing.

It's impossible to tell for sure, but a non-tech 3.47 can't help. Sure you did better in those classes, but how about the overall GPA? If you did better than a tech major in calc but his overall GPA is higher than yours, you're outmatched. Bitterness towards the Navy is ridiculous. You should have known the gamble when you started. Wait a year, things will change. Also, Advanced Standing is not "given" away.
Other factors could be that your CO didn't think you were officer material or that your PT scores weren't high enough. Do you play sports, if so for how long? Belong to any organizations, if so for how long? All of this factors in when it comes down to scholarship selection.
Not trying to bust your B@!!s, but the whining and bitterness can only get you so far. Want a chance to serve? Enlist, there are thousands of enlistedsailors with a degree, many get STA-21 and become officers two or three years after enlisting.
If you want to serve in the Navy, you will find a way. If you want shiny gold bars only, make the call to the Army and get ready to be miserable.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Ryoukai said:
Since I'm not hip to the slang, what does this mystical "advanced standing" consist of?

Scholarship students are 'guaranteed' a spot in nrotc for 4 years. In order for non-scholarship students to stay in nrotc past their sophomore year, they have to receive advanced standing. This means their package is sent in to compete against other advanced standing wanna bees and the navy picks the top 25 (last summer) or as in this summer, none.