• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advanced Standing Rumor

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Found out yesterday that nobody got picked up for advanced standing this year. This is for the college programmers. Can anybody chime in and prove this. I guess i have to give my parents a big hug, cause i got advanced standing last summer and this would of been devastating for me.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
yep, I can confirm it....at least thats what the XO at my unit told a friend of mine when he was signing his scholarship papers last week. For the last couple of years I've been hearing that they were needing to cut NROTC numbers down, so I guess this might be how they are doing it.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I hope that doesn't happen for my class. I'm on scholarship but there are a bunch of really great college programmers in my class that it would be a shame to lose.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
CommodoreMid said:
I hope that doesn't happen for my class. I'm on scholarship but there are a bunch of really great college programmers in my class that it would be a shame to lose.

if this was your "decision year" (i.e junior year), you already lost them. We definitely just lost a couple people, although my class had DORs like no other. There are like 10 of us left
:eek:

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
MIDNJAC said:
There are like 10 of us left
:eek:

In my class, there are 4 navy options and around 5-6 marine options. Very small due to dor's, midn. being asked to leave, and having the unit being so young.

Correct, no one was selected this year.

Only took 25 of us nation-wide last year.

We just kicked off our NSO (New Student Orientation) today... with only 7 scholarships out of 24 freshmen. Everyone else is a CPer.

jai5w4

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No I'm just starting my 3/C year. Out of the 19 in my class, 12 are on scholarship.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
yeah, that sounds about like the spread we had during my 3/c year. I would imagine at least 4-5 of those remaining will pick up scholarship in the next year. Who knows.....maybe next year will be better for advanced standers.

purduenavy

BDCP SNA
I was one of the ones that got shafted by the no advanced standing this year. Apparently a 3.47 in Poli Sci and History isn't good enough. I don't know how it is at other units but some of the other people picked up for scholarship are sorta shaddy, I'm pretty bitter about it. Oh well, OCS here I come!

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
I just finished my O-week at Rice and out of the 16 that were going to the Rice unit, only 3 of us were College Programers. And out of the 16, there were only three going to Rice Univeristy. Most were, like me, going to UH. I am trying to pick up a two year scholarship or advanced standing at the end of the Fall semester, so here's hoping the drop will be better after the new FY starts.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
purduenavy said:
Apparently a 3.47 in Poli Sci and History isn't good enough.

At an engineering school like Purdue? You're right, it's not good enough.

Jolly Roger said:
...so here's hoping the drop will be better after the new FY starts.

Don't know that it's so much a "FY" thing as much as a "We don't have places to put all the officers we have now" thing.

Always fluctuates though....up, down, up, down. Just get on for the ride and do your best!

jai5w4 :icon_smil

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
purduenavy said:
I was one of the ones that got shafted by the no advanced standing this year. Apparently a 3.47 in Poli Sci and History isn't good enough. I don't know how it is at other units but some of the other people picked up for scholarship are sorta shaddy, I'm pretty bitter about it. Oh well, OCS here I come!

Maybe checkout BDCP- sounds like a real good deal.