• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Active Augmentation and other force shaping tools

Short

None
"Why ??? People w/ any personal integrity will just NOT work for those whom they have ZERO respect for .... :)"

I think that there are a few hundred thousand that will serve to support and defend the Constitution and the country whose course it directs, regardless of personal feelings towards the CinC. Or we could just go the banana republic route, say, F' it, my guy lost so I'll take my toys and go home and someone else can do it. I don't begrudge anyone who leaves, on account of their service being more than 99.9 percent of the rest of the country if they've got a problem with the boss, just don't see it as a acid test for someone's personal integrity...if that's where that statement was rolling.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
"Why ??? People w/ any personal integrity will just NOT work for those whom they have ZERO respect for .... :)"

I think that there are a few hundred thousand that will serve to support and defend the Constitution and the country whose course it directs, regardless of personal feelings towards the CinC. Or we could just go the banana republic route, say, F' it, my guy lost so I'll take my toys and go home and someone else can do it. I don't begrudge anyone who leaves, on account of their service being more than 99.9 percent of the rest of the country if they've got a problem with the boss, just don't see it as a acid test for someone's personal integrity...if that's where that statement was rolling.

You miss the entire point. I'd done my 'required' time and then some ... I'd served my country and almost lost my life in that service on more than one occasion ... and I would have stayed for 20 or more ACDU if that had been the way I rolled. 20+: that had been my plan from the day I raised my right hand ....

Remember, it's a job, not an adventure ... or do YOU do it for 'free'?? ... :) ... so to 'work' any longer for a 'leadership' group that one did not approve of OR respect would be to violate one's personal integrity ... or you become a whore for the money & retirement. Or mebbe you would become one of those guys who's just AFRAID to take a chance and go another direction. Lots of those types stayed in post VN ...

Take your pick.

But supporting & defending ... ??? I'd do that for free.

Of course, there's another possibility: perhaps you know somethin' MORE about 'supporting & defending' than 'we' did ... ??? :)

Short

None
I'm not questioning anyone's integrity or commitment. I don't question the service of Vietnam vets who were rolling in on targets and taking losses when the government, media and educational institutions of the country y'all were bleeding for were doing their level best to f' you over and celebrate the other side. All I'm saying is that the CinCs commitment is shorter than mine, and I don't have to wait for him to get winged before the clock starts ticking down. In the meantime, we still need good men to lead Sailors and put ordnance on target.

Recidivist

The MarAdmin is saying that you need 540 days of observed time to get considered. I don't think this is a big deal if you're working in your MOS field when you're being observed, but what if you are one of those jet guys that has no jet to fly coming out of the FRS? Are you getting selected for career designation based solely on time observed while outside your MOS field? That seems like a poor way to select people for career retention, regardless of the whole MAGTF officer element.
If you are waiting until you get observed time in a squadron, then I think it is not unforeseeable (I expect time out of cockpit to get worse before it gets better, as Jarhead stated earlier) that you could be in the position of having to extend your AD service by 24 months to accept promotion to Major. That would be good for the Corps, but maybe not so good for the individual.
BTW, how are they picking who gets to go to a flying squadron out of the FRS? If it's performance based, maybe this system isn't so flawed after all... but then again performance in the squadron and performance in a training command are probably not perfectly correlated.
Also, what percentage of jet pilots get to fly jets? 42?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Did I miss a memo? Are jet guys NOT going to a fleet squadron after the FRS? If so, what a f'in waste.

My advice - more reason to go helos/tilt-rotors.

A few buddies finishing up with -101 here in Miramar have already been told plan on a 12 month IA as soon as finished with FRS ... Even some guys with <6 months in our squadron are getting pulled for an IA. Oh, BTW, that 12 month IA counts as part of your initial ~3 year squadron tour, good luck upgrading and getting any creditability in your community. F'in waste indeed ...

I think the MAG just hates it's pilots ;)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well everyone, now's your chance. All O2-O5s should've gotten a "job satisfaction" survey email. Fill it out honestly and wait for change.... hahahahahaaha.

Yankee Uniform Tango
A few buddies finishing up with -101 here in Miramar have already been told plan on a 12 month IA as soon as finished with FRS ... Even some guys with <6 months in our squadron are getting pulled for an IA. Oh, BTW, that 12 month IA counts as part of your initial ~3 year squadron tour, good luck upgrading and getting any creditability in your community. F'in waste indeed ...

I don't know much about anything, but that sounds fucked. Why is this only happening to jet guys? Not enough planes/jet fuel to go around?

teabag53

pilot
It's the needs of the Marine Corps. Not too long ago, there was an equal distribution of IA's among T/M/S but that didn't really work out given that some communities are needed in greater numbers with more frequency and in more places than others. Couple that with lower-than-normal retention for those in units that are ridden hard and put away wet and you start ending up with empty seats and not enough talent to fill them.

Now, it appears we've gone 'full retard' the other way in that there will eventually be (if there's not already) a serious gap on the jet side with either super-experienced fellas or no-experience fellas with little to no middle ground. The robbing Peter to pay Paul method is reactionary but necessary given constraints in actual needs, percieved needs, and budget. Simply put, the Marine Corps can't have it's cake and eat it too...we're all part of that cake.

I'm off to fill out my job satisfaction survey...

*Anybody else have their post formatting get all jacked when trying to fix a one-letter spelling error?

Recidivist

That totally sucks, and is the possibility I've been hearing about. All indications seem to point towards this getting worse before it gets better (Damn f-35).
Are they pulling Herc pilots for IA at the same rate as their jet counterparts?
Also, what IA are qualified for just coming out of the FRS?
Thanks.

Lawman

None
Anybody wanna take bets on how long till they start grabbing guys fresh out of TBS to do IA's?

Recidivist

Probably two weeks after never. Not saying I don't think it is a good idea, but I don't think it's going to happen.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anybody wanna take bets on how long till they start grabbing guys fresh out of TBS to do IA's?

It's a far better idea than pulling guys right out of the FRS. Or, pull them after wings before the FRS. Why are we pulling people from their MOS (right after earning it no less), when they are most impressionable and slowly starting to become useful, only to inject them in an IA that will likely last long enough for them to go right back through the FRS. I'm curious what the long term effects to a post-FRS-IA mishap rate would be. Most of these IAs aviators are filling are not aviation-specific, so why not fill them with otherwise useless bodies.

Flight school/MOS school attrites should be #1 on the IA list. You've already shown you can't hack it in what we planned to put you in, so go do something else we need done.

This, combined with a lowering bonus will probably drive fewer people to take it. I already know a couple people who refused the bonus, just because of the IA threat. "Here's your 1 year IA to Craplackistan." "No thanks, here's my letter, GFY."

teabag53

pilot
^^^^^That's exactly why I never took the devil's money...spot on with giving the IA's to attrites. I wish I could have included it in the 'comments' portion of my job satisfaction survey.