• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Acceptable Major for OCS

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
If you can graduate, you can get into the Navy. That said, they aren't going to want a gpa that's in the crapper.

Skippy

Now with 27% less bullshit.
If you can graduate, you can get into the Navy. That said, they aren't going to want a gpa that's in the crapper.

One of my buddies last year was about to commission (through ROTC) and was pulling about a 2.6 in PoliSci, but he still got offered aviation. Dumbass took SWO. Ah well.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Has anyone here failed a class and still made it in the Navy? I ask because I started out bad in American Government and if I ace everything from now on, the highest grade I can get is a 91.

I failed 4 or maybe 5 classes, 1 of them even twice, and I graduated with a 2.4. You can see my wings below my screen name to the left.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
-You don't need a technical degree. One is preferred for nukes, but even then from what I've been told you can get in as long as you have one year of calc and one year of calc-based physics
-While I can more than understand that you are worried about your gpa (I was pre-med and didn't get into med school despite my 3.73 gpa), just do the best you can and worry about it later. If we told you that the requirements were 4.0 or 2.0, does it change the amount of effort you're going to put into your classes? Well, it shouldn't.

nicknight

You are trying to make your Commission package look as good as possible. The needs of the Navy change every month it seems so while you may be able to get Pro req'd with a 2.7 one month, the next they may be turning away a 3.9. It's hard to know the requirements to be accepted but the requirements shouldn't really matter as long as you make your application as flawless as possible. Every aspect of the application is a keyhole into your life and thats all the board gets to see about you... do you want them to see a low gpa in the 5 mins they take to look at your application? Just make everything on the papers you submit look really good and try to convey your personality where you can (Mot. essay) and I think you will have as good of luck as anyone.

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
No it wouldn't change my mind because I do the best I can and I study and everything. I just wanted to know if failing a class would really stick out to the Navy when I submit for BDCP or OCS, that was my main concern.

Goob83

None
You are trying to make your Commission package look as good as possible. The needs of the Navy change every month it seems so while you may be able to get Pro req'd with a 2.7 one month, the next they may be turning away a 3.9. It's hard to know the requirements to be accepted but the requirements shouldn't really matter as long as you make your application as flawless as possible. Every aspect of the application is a keyhole into your life and thats all the board gets to see about you... do you want them to see a low gpa in the 5 mins they take to look at your application? Just make everything on the papers you submit look really good and try to convey your personality where you can (Mot. essay) and I think you will have as good of luck as anyone.

Great Advice and Very true!!