• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Accelerated Program for Primary

Status
Not open for further replies.

investmurr

Was wondering the advantages or disadvantages of this program. Are you expected to learn the same amount of information in a shorter period of time? I have about 200 flight hours and all ratings but I consider myself an average le arner with average study habits. Will I find the didactic part impossible to keep up with? I want to be placed where I belong but all the talk of how hard the studying is makes me wonder if actually having flight hours may work against me. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Jester

pilot
Pap,
How much flight time did you have going into primary? Also were you current when you started primary? I have about 290 hours but haven't flown in about 2 1/2 years - so I'm not current. Just curious, thanks.

Jester

investmurr

I have a little over 200 hours and I am current. Have friends with CFI that have taken me up recently. But am really worried about the studying. I start primary in two weeks. Found API very difficult but did not roll. Just wondering about the academics. Consider myself an excellent stick but average student. Thanks for the info. Any more info would be helpful on the bookwork in accelerated. Thanks.

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
Pap~

How do you get selected for the accelerated program? I know you need to have some flight hours, but what else do they go by to select you. Also, do they give you the option of doing it once you are selected?

sna-vt3

Just FYI, none of the TW-5 squadrons (NAS Whiting Field) accelerate guys very often, and VT-3 does not do it at all. They will double pump you in the sims and maybe for some of your instrument flights in the plane. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that it takes considerably longer (on average) for TW-4 students (NAS Corpus) to complete primary. I do not know why they move slower down there (weather would be my guess), but the majority of TW-5 students get to selection in less than the 20-week sylabus time frame.

investmurr

Pap: I see you got jets after having dropped the accelerated program. The fact you dropped obviously wasnt held against you. My question is if you didnt drop would you have had lower NSS thereby not even maybe 50 vs. jet grades. Point - Sounds like its better dropping giving yourself the best shot of studying. Where is the carrot if you accellerate other than flying more. At what point did you drop, or realize it wasnt for you week 1,2,3?

investmurr

Sorry Pap I misunderstood your earlier transmission above. Sounds like accellerated is the way to go. Thanks alot for the info.

SkyHigh

Do you guys know what the requirement to get into the accelerated program is? How often does Corpus give it out?

Rainman

pilot
In the MPTS it said if you had a PPL, you'd be accelerated through fams . if you had INST you'd be accelelerated through instruments. . even used the word "shall". . but yeah. . .Whiting seems to ignore that, especially VT3 (I was talked out of it last year). I think it's a pretty good deal, you can always be unaccelerated. . go for it.

SkyHigh

Thanks Rainman for the advice. so a PPL only gets you through fams quicker? Do we still get the same number of flight hours?

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
SkyHigh-

I can help a little on this topic and tell you a bit about my husband's experience (right now). He is in primary and is being accelerated and he has a PPL, and some instrument time. He has been told by his onwing that he will be accelerated depending on how he does each flight. There are no set FAMs or lessons he will be accelerated- it just goes flight by flight. Ex: He could be accelerated through the first 4 FAM's if he demonstrates that he knows all of the things within those- but would slow down a bit for FAM 5. It really just depends. Another guy that my husband is in class with has 900+ hours with many ratings- so he may be acclerated through the whole thing- but again- it just depends on how well or not he does. Another bit of info I can tell you- is that yet another guy in his primary class has a few hundred hours- and at least a PPL and INST - but is NOT going to be accelerated because his instructor doesn't believe in doing that! So, honestly- it is just a case by case basis. Some instructors won't do it even if you have more hours than they do! It just depends. I hope I have helped you!

Good luck. PM if you have any more questions- and I will have my husband message you back!

Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.