• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

9mm Plastic Practice Ammo

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I was out hunting coyotes one night with a 30-06, and I spotted two twinkling eyes looking at me at about 180 yards. I took a chance shot that I probably shouldnt have made and when we went down to the fence post where we had seen the eyes we found blood and guts all over the place and only a spine with a tail on it... varmint hunting is some of the most fun you can have.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
xmid said:
... varmint hunting is some of the most fun you can have.

You people are sick. Absolutely, positively beyond saving. I'm talking about y'all needing some serious counseling. :crazy_125

I like it.:) :tophat_12

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Reference the direction this thread is going: This isn't my forum or thread and I'm not the MOD-SQUAD guy for it. I'm not trying to lecture anyone, either, BUT:

Preamble to follow ..... I'm not a hunter. I like history. I like guns. Guns are totally intertwined with history. I collect big bucks USGI stuff. I shoot competitively. I carry for personal protection. I'm a certified instructor and teach firearms safety, marksmanship, and personal defensive courses. I am a life member of the NRA.

I would hunt were it necessary for me to eat/survive ... whatever. HOWEVER -- I completely support the right of those who DO like hunting to continue to do so. It is an American tradition and one that is worth saving and cultivating.

BUT ... some people (many? some on this website?) do not see the point in varmint hunting. They are totally against it -- it repels them. Shooting fuzzy little creatures ... whatever you like to call it. So as NOT to give "them" any more ammo (no pun) to use against "us", firearms, and the firearms "culture" --- let's try to keep the "joys of shooting" critters to a ... "reasonable" discourse???

You know what I'm talkin' about .... a little common sense ??? :)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
A4's,

Point taken. I would like to clarify that the reason we are allowed to hunt these cute little critters is because they are a pest. They destroy crops, chew holes in your house, and can pose a threat to livestock. In the case of the coyote I previously mentioned my friend's dad was having a problem with some rabbid coyotes that had killed a calf on his land and were bold enough to come right up to his house while he was BBQ'ing. Still some people are sensitive to these things, so I will try to be more tactful.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
xmid said:
....Point taken. I would like to clarify that the reason we are allowed to hunt these cute little critters is because they are a pest......
I agree ... and good on you for the "common sense" response ... whatever common sense is, these days ... :)

Were I a farmer, rancher, etc., etc., I would probably be on the front line shooting varmints as well. Hell, I'd probably use Claymores on Bambi, if that's what it took. But since I'm not --- I don't.

It's been my experience that most folks' resistance to hunting in general terms seems to emanate from the chattering classes that populate the metros, suburbs, and Starbuck's coffee shops ...

Snacks

Everyone leave, I have to poop. NOW!!!
Were I a farmer, rancher, etc., etc., I would probably be on the front line shooting varmints as well. Hell, I'd probably use Claymores on Bambi, if that's what it took. But since I'm not --- I don't.

I grew up on a farm, and hunting/killing coyotes was a necessity. Baby calfs are defenseless, and coyotes love the taste of veal. I'll always remember the time that my Dad took off the back right leg of a coyote with his 16-gauge from 75 yards away (slug off course, and a damn good shot). I, on the other hand, went for the young 'uns. Got me a pack of 5 coyote pups with my Dad's Mini-14. Made one do a cartwheel... :icon_smil

As for the prairie dogs, I hit one driving across South Dakota. I'd have to say that it would've been more fun to shoot it than smack it with my truck...

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Hunting coyotes is big business here in Kentucky, particularly in the Northeast part of the state. I remember 10 years ago farmers paid a $50 a head/pelt bounty on them...a neighbor of mine used to use the money to pay for his kids' Christmas. Two birds with one stone!

T

TXHusker05

If you are really looking for a non-lethal round to run through your weapon, look into some simunitions. They come in a variety of caliber's and it is basically a paintball bullet. The tip is plastic with a colored powder inside. I am not sure the cost of them and I can't find the website, but look into it if you are looking for something non-lethal.

Ground forces use them in Close Quarters training. I don't see why anyone would need anything non-lethal like this but I actually found out that if you are in an area with no range's nearby, you can go out with simunitions and not make a lot of noise or worry about what is on the otherside of your target but still get some training in.

Edit: Found the site, http://www.simunition.com/index.php