• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

53's and 60's

Pags

N/A
pilot
Is TPS really a "good deal" for helo pilots? As far as I understood it, while helo TPS is awesome for your career post-navy, it's not that great for your Navy career since it takes you out of the pipeline. Am I wrong?

from what i've heard, its viewed kind of neutrally. it's not directly good for the community since it's not involved in production like HTs or the RAG. however, its still a flying tour and you will more than likely still be flying your fleet a/c. it's also good for you (but not the community) since it advances you professionally if you're interested in R&D. however, you would be performing R&D work that needs to be done in order for the fleet to have the latest and greatest. so, in the end it is good for the community, just not directly.

and i've never heard anything about 53s making you more competitive for stuff afterwards. seems like a lot of TPS guys I know came from LAMPS.

hscs

pilot
From what I have seen in the Board precepts, going to TPS would be better than neutral. There is some line in the precept about how the Navy needs its test community and that it is valuable, etc. etc.The big issue why people have been hesitant is that you typically do no get any of the things that you non-TPS guys get -- e.g. OOD letter, "out of comfort zone" time -- and you will have smaller peer groups at TPS.

S.O.B.

pilot
So a few of us were talking about this in the ready room the other day and someone said that going 53's can actually be helpful in getting things like test pilot school and/or other good deals like that. I thought that sounded kind of fishy but figured I'd ask guys more in the know? Thoughts?

Really the only extra "good deal" you can get from selecting 53s is that as a 53 guy you can fly 60s on shore duty (HSC 2,3, Station Sar, VX-1 and HX-21) 60 guys typically don't get to fly 53s.

1rotorhead

pilot
Anyone heard how many HS guys will get to fly 60R's? Any kind of percentage? Don't see how HS can spare the people.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
75/25 seems to be the split that sticks in my mind, with majority going to HSC.

hscs

pilot
Hope I am not in that 25% -- I don't even remember what a dome looks like...

1rotorhead

pilot
Reason I ask is that I heard pretty much all HS will become HSC. If HSC CVN is staying the same size (which it is), how can they afford to let HS guys go HSM? (Also, why would they want to?)

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Maybe they really like ASW... Isn't there supposed to be an HSM det on the carrier for ASW ops?

hscs

pilot
Rotorhead -- why don't you join us -- we are going to dip some domes in Walden pond....

hscs

pilot
No -- sort of an inside joke. The pond is a long way from Thoreau's neck of the woods.

S.O.B.

pilot
Just some general info: MH-53s will have glass cockpits within 4-5 years and the airframe is extended out to 2017.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Just some general info: MH-53s will have glass cockpits within 4-5 years and the airframe is extended out to 2017.

Which is nice for all you Marines who will get to fly the 53 Kilos, but I didn't think that the Navy was picking it up.