• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

53's and 60's

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Yes, did a search, the only thread specifically about this turned into a discussion about sideflaring and Natops.

So, that said, while I've still yet to select pipeline, I'm wondering about 53 versus 60 life/missions/etc. I've got a pretty good handle on the 60 side of the house but for 53's, all I seem to be able to find is info on mine hunting and occasional log-o runs.

I'm looking for everything here you guys might have, life, missions, stations, experiences, advancement, etc. As for flying, I'll just be happy flying whatever I can put my fat a$s into, so I'm trying to gather info on the other stuff that goes along with it as well. Thanks.

MasterBates

If you are a fat ass, the 60 cockpit is not exactly spacious.

Only flown a 53 once, but it seems bigger up front.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
If you are a fat ass, the 60 cockpit is not exactly spacious.

Only flown a 53 once, but it seems bigger up front.

Ha, it was more of a joke, I fit in the t-34 no prob and have a few flights in the front seat of a 60 too, I just meant it as a "I'm just glad to be flying so what else goes with each platform" kind of thing.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Bad gouge...they are still fying by my house down here daily. HM-15 is still active here.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, did a search, the only thread specifically about this turned into a discussion about sideflaring and Natops.

So, that said, while I've still yet to select pipeline, I'm wondering about 53 versus 60 life/missions/etc. I've got a pretty good handle on the 60 side of the house but for 53's, all I seem to be able to find is info on mine hunting and occasional log-o runs.

I'm looking for everything here you guys might have, life, missions, stations, experiences, advancement, etc. As for flying, I'll just be happy flying whatever I can put my fat a$s into, so I'm trying to gather info on the other stuff that goes along with it as well. Thanks.

Cockpit is quite spacious and everything from dwarves to sasquatches can probably fit in it.....Here's a photo of the spread:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0789470/M/

Seats have variable load energy actuators, so they will stroke if you have a hard landing depending on what weight you dial in. I think the dial goes up to 240lbs. One has to actually step up into the flight deck area. Your rear end is about six ft up from the ground so the site picture for landing is quite different from a H-57.

Mission: Soon to be gone are the days of 2 distinct Navy 53 worlds. One was HC, where it was purely helo support (log runs, some NSW support, heavy lift). HM will still be around. Only 10% of my flight time is "under tow." HM will still continue the legacy Airborne Mine Countermeasures (AMCM) Mission, as well as absorbing the multimission heavy lift stuff. Most of the newer "organic" AMCM mission packages will be taken by the MH-60S once they get their later block aircraft. Those guys can speak about it better then I can.

It is the only Navy heavy lift helo. Next in line is the COD for cargo movement, but the 53 can lift more (we don't require a catapult for ship ops)...just shorter distances. The 53 is a big truck that can do aerial refueling (from C-130s), and is useful for a whole bunch of things. You will deploy on both land bases and sea platforms.

It's a big expensive piece of gear that requires a lot of maintenance and the bucks that go with that. Bean counters don't like it because it is expensive. For awhile it was removed from the helo master plan and slated to be replaced by the 60, but for now the 53 is staying.

Future ops for the 53 look good and there are some good upgrades planned. I think you will see an increase in the capabilites and an increase in mission to go along with it.

If you have more particular questions about the 53, PM me and I am glad to answer anything for you.

1rotorhead

pilot
Besides the aircraft, you should think about the duty station. A lot of different choices for 60's, not so much for 53's.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Anything moving to Corpus to replace HM-15, or is it strictly becoming a TRACOM base?
Don't forget the Army Air Depot with their ridiculous contraptions for spinning blades and heads, plus the Coast Guard, plus Customs.

MasterBates

Also, keep in mind WHAT 60 you pick determines ultimate duty station..

HSL/HSM (60B & 60R) NS Mayport (Jacksonville FL), NAS North Island, Hawaii (HSL-37) and Japan (HSL-51)

HS (60F & 60H) NAS JAX, NASNI and Japan. Moving from JAX to Norfolk, not sure when.

HSC (60S) Norfolk, NASNI and Guam.

phrogpilot73

Also, keep in mind WHAT 60 you pick determines ultimate duty station..

HSL/HSM (60B & 60R) NS Mayport (Jacksonville FL), NAS North Island, Hawaii (HSL-37) and Japan (HSL-51)

HS (60F & 60H) NAS JAX, NASNI and Japan. Moving from JAX to Norfolk, not sure when.

HSC (60S) Norfolk, NASNI and Guam.

North Island is in Hawaii as well? That's confusing, 'cause isn't there a NAS North Island in San Diego?