• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

4 Elderly Retired, but Historic Grande Dames...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
USS America (CV-66) was a Non-Nuke. It presently resides at the bottom of the Atlantic. I think about 8 to 10 years ago.

Thanks ATCS, spent an hour yesterday on Google Earth, searching shipyards/mothball fleets for the missing CV-66. The non-nuke "Super Carriers" (CVs-59 thru 64 & CVs-66 & 67), now all 'accounted for'!

I guess the next retirement will be Big E, CVN-65. I doubt she would be a candidate for a CV Museum w/ Nuke power plant???:eek:
BzB

Lawman

None
Thanks ATCS, spent an hour yesterday on Google Earth, searching shipyards/mothball fleets for the missing CV-66. The non-nuke "Super Carriers" (CVs-59 thru 64 & CVs-66 & 67), now all 'accounted for'!

I guess the next retirement will be Big E, CVN-65. I doubt she would be a candidate for a CV Museum w/ Nuke power plant???:eek:
BzB

Correction... 8 nuclear power plants. The amount of cutting they will have to do to the hull to get all that crap out would be incredibly prohibitive to turn the ship into a museum afterward.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Correction... 8 nuclear power plants. The amount of cutting they will have to do to the hull to get all that crap out would be incredibly prohibitive to turn the ship into a museum afterward.
It's a two in one deal, get a tourist attraction and a floating powerplant. What's not to love?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BTW sir, do you need AW to show you how to use the screen capture function of your computer? :)

Yes...been usin' me cell phone cam to snap my 'puter screen, cuz I'm compudumb. Comes out crappy, huh:oops:
BzB

Pags

N/A
pilot
The three eyed fish?

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2
You mean Blinky?

Blinky_Art.png

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Sara story: darn near sank her on the 1963 Med cruise. In the middle of a big NATO exercise, with several aircraft loaded up with ordinance, an A4 practicing CCA's to the boat landed in the middle of a pull forward ...night ops, of course. The pilot (who lived) was somewhat exonerated. (IIRC, the Air Boss was rapidly transferred.) The ensuing conflagration, involving much fire around the weapons loads, resulted in a total of ten aircraft being pushed overboard. Two or three fatal casualties, a couple of men lost legs ...we sat down in Ready Five, listening to the twenty mm ammo cooking off ...overall, crew did a magnificent job of containment!

Had breakfast the following morning with the ships Damage Control Asst ...he told me we used 72% of our fog (foam). Normal ops resumed at first light that morning, to continue with the exercise.