• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

4 Elderly Retired, but Historic Grande Dames...

darrylcn

If you get to see the ex-USS Saratoga here in Newport, she is the test-bed for a lot of different hull paints. The ship has about 15 different color paints all over the hull and it looks like it's painted in really bad urban camo from the 1980's. So, while the ship may not in service, that's not to say it can not be useful.

Hey Helolumpy, wife and I are going to a Red Sox game in July and we're turning it into a day trip around a few states. Gonna check out Westover AFB/Barnes field for some airplane action (I hope) and make our way down to RI for an overnight. We're (I'm ;))hoping to see Sara, it looks like you can get fairly close, is that true?

Thanks

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
when I was in RI in '04, the closest you could get to Sara was about 100'. I peste red a guard about it and he said they don't let anyone near or on it. They (Forrestal was still there) looked pretty rough.

darrylcn

Thanks Hozer (is that name an elaborate setup cause I'm Canadian ;)?), it'll be the closest I've been to a carrier in a loooong time so it'll still be pretty cool.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
CV-67  JFK.jpg Hoser, here's your "Big John" in Philly, with FORRESTAL alongside just across the pier. JFK appears to be in...by far, the better shape of the two.:)
BzB

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
It would be a great tourist attraction if Pensacola & the State of Florida could bring one of these here as a floating site, either at NAS or at the new Maritime Park. I have no idea what it would cost. Do we have any retired CVAs on the East Coast available? I have fond memories of time spent on both the Independence & Constellation.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It would be a great tourist attraction if Pensacola & the State of Florida could bring one of these here as a floating site, either at NAS or at the new Maritime Park. I have no idea what it would cost. Do we have any retired CVAs on the East Coast available? I have fond memories of time spent on both the Independence & Constellation.
CVs on the east coast: FORRESTAL & JFK in Philadelphia, and SARATOGA in Newport.

Cost is astronomical, initial investment: moving, refurbishing, port preparation, environmental impact studies, finding display A/C, volunteers, ongoing fund-raising and much more. Then continual standard periodic hull & topside maintenance. It's a monster undertaking!:eek:

The MIDWAY Museum in SanDogg is a colossal success. Presently by far, the most popular tourist attraction in a 'tourism Mecca', boasting attractions such as Sea World, Wild Animal Park & the world class San Diego Zoo & great beaches. It didn't come quickly, easily, or cheaply, but it's running in the black due to great leadership, volunteerism, and generous donors even in a down economy.:)
*Not too many CVs where you can sip a dry Martini in a comfy chair just outside of Flight Deck Control!
USS_Midway_(CV-41)_.jpg
BzB

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

Yorktown is in
Charleston SC. http://www.patriotspoint.org/

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yorktown is in
Charleston SC. http://www.patriotspoint.org/
Yep! And she looks in pretty good shape!
yorktown.jpg

Fog

None
Contributor
CVs on the east coast: FORRESTAL & JFK in Philadelphia, and SARATOGA in Newport.

Cost is astronomical, initial investment: moving, refurbishing, port preparation, environmental impact studies, finding display A/C, volunteers, ongoing fund-raising and much more. Then continual standard periodic hull & topside maintenance. It's a monster undertaking!:eek:

The MIDWAY Museum in SanDogg is a colossal success. Presently by far, the most popular tourist attraction in a 'tourism Mecca', boasting attractions such as Sea World, Wild Animal Park & the world class San Diego Zoo & great beaches. It didn't come quickly, easily, or cheaply, but it's running in the black due to great leadership, volunteerism, and generous donors even in a down economy.:)
*Not too many CVs where you can sip a dry Martini in a comfy chair just outside of Flight Deck Control!
View attachment 10908.
BzB

Thanks. It would be great to get the JFK (last non-nuke CV? or was that the America?) to P-cola. There's no way we could afford it, so it would have to be a Florida undertaking. Nevertheless, Pensacola, as the Cradle of Naval Air, is a logical & appropriate place to have a tourism CV. And it would be the only such attraction on the entire Gulf Coast. It could be a great project for the city, region and naval aviation.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Thanks. It would be great to get the JFK (last non-nuke CV? or was that the America?) to P-cola. There's no way we could afford it, so it would have to be a Florida undertaking. Nevertheless, Pensacola, as the Cradle of Naval Air, is a logical & appropriate place to have a tourism CV. And it would be the only such attraction on the entire Gulf Coast. It could be a great project for the city, region and naval aviation.

JFK was CV-67. Commissioned in 1967
AMERICA was CV-66. Commissioned in 1965

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
And it would be the only such attraction on the entire Gulf Coast.

Well, not quite, unless you mean the only carrier. The USS Alabama is over in Mobile and it's a pretty cool museum in it's own right.

Fog

None
Contributor
I was referring to carriers on the Gulf Coast, but forgot about the Lex in Corpus. Thanks.

ATCS

USS America (CV-66) was a Non-Nuke. It presently resides at the bottom of the Atlantic. I think about 8 to 10 years ago.