• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

3 Keys to OCS Success

Lonestar155

is good to go
Indee you got a good deal of solid gouge. You will do fine. Never give up! Let us know how things go! Kill:icon_rage

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
Wouldn't carry that mentality very far. There might be shitbags in the fleet under your supervision. That doesn't mean you let them kill themselves because they suck.

I'm sure guys on the enlisted side would be extatic to know that I helped some guy who couldn't find his own ass with two hands and a map become an officer.

No one is saying fuck everyone else and lone wolf it, but don't waste a bunch of time and energy doing things for shitbags who don't try. There will be other people in your platoon who are busting thier butts and will actually make something of the help you give them.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
1. Integrity
2. Confidence is KEY
3. You WILL doubt yourself, make sure you can step back and get perspective
4. Avoid medical like the plague (unless you're seriously injured)
5. The first 3 weeks will suck. Once you start getting liberty live one week at a time and make it your goal to get to the weekend
6. Be a team player, help those that you can
7. If all else fails, picture yourself in a set of dress blues with a hot chick on each arm and all self doubt should disappear ;):D

oh yeah, and good luck with the bearing. I'm convinced our SI's had a game going to see how much they could make us bust out laughing

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Have a sense of humor and dont take things too seriously. Learn to lock it on and off. Everyone screws up, some more than others (like myself almost falling on my face going up the stairs for first salute is an example). Just learn to laugh at yourself and situations you're put into. If youre gonna guzzle the kool-aid, put a lot of sugar in it :)

plc67

pilot
Don't know if it's as big a deal as it used to be, but do not fall out of runs or conditioning hikes. If you have to go till you pass out, so be it.

Crowbar

None
I am trying to come up with 3 main "Keys to Success" to memorize and always fall back on while I am there.

Why not Honor, Courage, and Commitment? They're our core values for a reason. It's similar to what you listed yourself, just not as wordy.

This Candidate will...
2. Never Lose His Bearing. Honor
3. Never Feel Sorry for Himself. Courage
1. Never Quit Anything. Commitment

BAM! The doctor is in.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Oh and try have your rack be as far from the duty hut as possible. The SI's won't even recognize you

At OCS, it's 100% decided by the alphabet.

Candidate W here was a part of the little end mafia. We could have had some bean bag chairs and a PS2 back by the rifle racks and they would have never noticed.

Boot Camp rack placement was a function of height. Mine was right next to the WINDOW of the DI hut. I couldn't fart at 0230 without getting yelled at.

MettGT

pilot
Don't know if it's as big a deal as it used to be, but do not fall out of runs or conditioning hikes. If you have to go till you pass out, so be it.

Concur. Falling out of a run/hump is one of the easiest ways to skyline yourself.

I think a great concept that will help you throughout your career in the military and throughout life is: never quit, never surrender.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
1) Smartly fly under the radar - then when you get a chance to stand out, kick ass. You will soon find yourself safe under the radar once again. In NO WAY do I mean slack off or be lazy, just don't be doing things to get yourself any extra unwanted attention. If you do well in your chance in the spotlight, there is no need for them to give you extra time as PltSgt, etc... It's always the guys who were questionable who got to be PltSgt, then Plt Commander, then Company Gunny, and then found themselves across the tracks.

rep...I was a squad leader for 2 days, and never anything higher. Flying under the radar is a commendable suggestion for when you're not a billet holder, but your trash better be wired tight when it's time to perform. I graduated in the top third of the platoon, but not nearly high enough to be an "honorary" billet holder for the week before graduation. Those cats got the hose from what I remember.

As for helping the Sierra Bravos- OCS and the fleet are two different environments. OCS is a system meant to cull the herd. The fleet isn't. Yes, ductus exemplo, but don't forget the mission of OCS-to SCREEN, TRAIN, AND EVALUATE.

Phrost_Bite

Future Flyboy
I just got back from a ocs prep weekend over here in the mid-west region. It was kinda cool. They flew in a few DI's to kick our butts for a few days. Everyone is right about flying under the radar thugh. If you don't do any unnessasary stupid stuff, you won't get that much special attention. Is it just me, or are the DI's hillarious... unless of course your on thier receiving end...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I just got back from a ocs prep weekend over here in the mid-west region. It was kinda cool. They flew in a few DI's to kick our butts for a few days. Everyone is right about flying under the radar thugh. If you don't do any unnessasary stupid stuff, you won't get that much special attention. Is it just me, or are the DI's hillarious... unless of course your on thier receiving end...

No...They're hilarious even when you're on the receiving end.