• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23 May 18 Pilot/NFO Selection Board

peppergunner

ɹǝqɯǝW pǝʇɹǝʌuI
Has anyone applied to this board for SNA with less than ideal vision? I thought my vision DQd me from SNA but my recruiter just called me after MEPS saying that my vision is fine for pilot. It doesn't make sense because I tested 20/100 for farsight and 20/20 for nearsight. I know pilot reqs are 20/40 but I'm not sure how to combine my scores for that. I have a feeling my recruiting station is just trying to get me to apply AQ for the next board (I cant go AQ due to my leasing situation) but I wanted to check here first.

andrewt

Do you have your N3M letter? Should tell you there if you're DQ'd for anything.

Then again, MANMED page 15-84...

"(4) SNA applicants whose uncorrected distant visual acuity does not exceed 20/400 may be eligible for a waiver authorizing use of contact lenses correction. SNA applicants whose uncorrected visual acuity exceeds 20/400 will not be waived for contact lenses use."

Sounds like if youre worse than 20/40, you can try for the waiver. Maybe that's what your OR meant? Because elsewhere it does say 20/40 correctable to 20/20 is required.

peppergunner

ɹǝqɯǝW pǝʇɹǝʌuI
Do you have your N3M letter? Should tell you there if you're DQ'd for anything.

Then again, MANMED page 15-84...

"(4) SNA applicants whose uncorrected distant visual acuity does not exceed 20/400 may be eligible for a waiver authorizing use of contact lenses correction. SNA applicants whose uncorrected visual acuity exceeds 20/400 will not be waived for contact lenses use."

Sounds like if youre worse than 20/40, you can try for the waiver. Maybe that's what your OR meant? Because elsewhere it does say 20/40 correctable to 20/20 is required.
No N3M yet, just did MEPS this morning. I'll ask about the contacts waiver.

I honestly thought I had no chance at SNA so I haven't thought about it in the slightest. Need to do some research and see if I'd perfer it over NFO.

exNavyOffRec

Their ASTB was 8 or 9 range across the board, my mistake for not posting their full credentials. I thought my point was clear.

That would indicate they had some other issue in their background, for many many years the selection rate of those with 8's and 9's for SNA was nearly 100%

andrewt

No N3M yet, just did MEPS this morning. I'll ask about the contacts waiver.

I honestly thought I had no chance at SNA so I haven't thought about it in the slightest. Need to do some research and see if I'd perfer it over NFO.
Definitely mention it to the OR. I started pouring over the MANMED when MEPS said I didnt do well enough on the depth perception. Took a while to get that reversed. Your OR isn't going to know everything but you can definitely help steer them in the right direction, and the enlisted staff they have at the office helped a lot to navigate the bureaucracy. TBH I still don't entirely know what they did the get me approved.

peppergunner

ɹǝqɯǝW pǝʇɹǝʌuI
Definitely mention it to the OR. I started pouring over the MANMED when MEPS said I didnt do well enough on the depth perception. Took a while to get that reversed. Your OR isn't going to know everything but you can definitely help steer them in the right direction, and the enlisted staff they have at the office helped a lot to navigate the bureaucracy. TBH I still don't entirely know what they did the get me approved.
Ok. I looked over the paperwork and I didn't get copies of my eye stuff but I remember a couple scores. I downloaded the MANMED and am looking for all the aviation stuff.