• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2005 Sna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
kevin said:
the only benefit to this over doing 10 years in the navy as pilot and then leaving and doing medicine as a civvy is that youd be able to stay career navy and be at least loosely involved with flying if that was your choice.

Not to mention the cost of medical school, and the lost income to attend medical school.

DairyCreamer

He pulled out his freshly printed documents showing the current status of all the slots available for each designator. I have no reason to think he's showing me false numbers, as he's been very straight and frank with me about everything we've gone through thus far.

~Nate

NotABusDriver said:
Only 30 filled out of 199 for SNA??? For fiscal year '05, my recruiter told me last fall there were only 100 slots open and that by the end of January there were only 25 left. He also told me that SNFO was stuffed to the gills as well. People I know who were ready to go '05 had to settle for '06 because of this. I dont know how you're recruiter came up with those numbers, cuz it sounds too good to be true.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
yeah, i know a NFO (captain now) who became a NFS. he got into USUHS, then went to fort benning for basic jump school, then became a NFS after med school. he went through all the branches and almost became a naval astronaut, but for the sake of the family and a new born child, he gave that up. all the flying that he was able to do was only for about 4 years though... after getting out of astronaut program, he as selected for f-14 RIO and a-6 NFO. he's very disappointed that he didn't get to fly more. the doctor's friend (who was an NA and a doctor) actually flew s-3's for about 12 years before applying for med school. sure enough, he never got to fly again. so, to answer your question mizzou, THINK HARD B4 DECIDING!!! oh, and the lighter side of the two doctors' story is that they make butt load of money!!! one's a naval plastic surgeon, and one's now (retired) a private anesthesiologist.

mizzoufan

well, I just talked to my recruiter about my recent ASTB test, and he said I did pretty well. I didn't study that much nor do I know much about the scoring. I got a 7/6/6 with an overall of 60. My gpa is a 3.97 in biology so I don't know if I am competitive for flight school or not. I am already accepted into med. school so the decision will be very hard I think. I wish I could talk to some of those doctors who were aviators first and see what their experience was or get to talk to any current flight surgeon to see what that career is like. Thanks for all your input.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
All of you that are talking about a slot for 2005 for SNA, when do you graduate? I graduate may of 2005 and I am hoping (praying) for an SNA spot. I haven't sent any "packages" or anything in yet. I am NROTC so maybe that's why but I thought that you didn't do any of that until the beginning of your senior year? Also, how are there already spots taken up for the 2005 fiscal year? Thanks, Mike

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The spots guys are talking about here are for OCS applicants only. NROTC/USNA guys don't have to worry about how many OCS source quotas are available or left for any program. NROTC quotas come from a different "pot". That is one reason OCS program quotas can vary. If the ROTC/USNA graduates don't fill quotas as expected then the left over opennings are sent over the the OCS folks to fill on short notice (relatively). And yes they are filling up the 2005 quotas rapidly and are working on FY 2006 as well. Remeber the year your quota comes from is based on when you are commissioned, not when you go to OCS or get your degree. In the case of NROTC, since you are commissioned on graduation, I expect that a summer 2005 graduate will be taking a FY2005 quota. In any case it shouldn't matter. The staff will tell you when to put in your dream sheet and you will have your orders before you graduate.

Status
Not open for further replies.