• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2005 Sna

Status
Not open for further replies.

mizzoufan

Is anyone here slated for SNA 2005. This is the time I would be shooting for, and I wasn't sure how competitive it was, and if any one here is even scheduled to go at this time? If anybody has any information it would be appreciated.

CLAM97to99

Hey mizzoufan. I went to school at mizzou for a semester. I have my application in for SNA 2005 I haven't heard back but I know that there are openings. As far as how many or how competitive it is I don't know. Sorry I couldn't be more help than that.

mizzoufan

really? what was your major, and when did you go here. Yeah, I am debating between medical school and aviation. I love both, but I can't go to med school and be a pilot for the military. I am at least going through the application process and see if I am even competitive. I take the ASTB this Friday so we will see. My gpa is decent so that helps me, but I don't know how I will do on the ASTB

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Hey mizzou fan, you sound like someone who'd enjoy being a flight surgeon, have you thought of going that route? I think the navy has a program that'll pay for your medical school.

mizzoufan

Do they get to fly at all?? I have heard of it, but not checked into it a whole lot. Any info. would be appreciated.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
They sure do. In fact, I think they go to API and all that good stuff. The FS we deal with basically explained that he flys to understand what pilots and NFOs go through during flight. Flight Surgeons are part of the Medical Corps, so ask your recruiter about the Medical Corps/Flight surgeon.

DairyCreamer

Got back from my recruiter's office this afternoon with some gouge. It appears that only 30 some slots out of 199 have been filled for SNA, and about 40 out of 119 for SNFO. This is for Fiscal Year 2005, which means Oct. 2004 to Oct. 2005.

Not sure what this lends to how competetive it is for slots, but there are still a ton open at least.

~Nate

mizzoufan said:
Is anyone here slated for SNA 2005. This is the time I would be shooting for, and I wasn't sure how competitive it was, and if any one here is even scheduled to go at this time? If anybody has any information it would be appreciated.

CLAM97to99

I went to mizzou in the fall semester of 2001. I was a sociology major. I got a full ride scholarship to the university I am going to now and decided to save my self about 5000 a semester. I miss mizzou but at least my wallet is a little heaver now.

Are you going to mizzou or just a fan? If you are a student there why arn't you in the NROTC program.

NotABusDriver

DairyCreamer said:
Got back from my recruiter's office this afternoon with some gouge. It appears that only 30 some slots out of 199 have been filled for SNA, and about 40 out of 119 for SNFO. This is for Fiscal Year 2005, which means Oct. 2004 to Oct. 2005.

~Nate

Only 30 filled out of 199 for SNA??? For fiscal year '05, my recruiter told me last fall there were only 100 slots open and that by the end of January there were only 25 left. He also told me that SNFO was stuffed to the gills as well. People I know who were ready to go '05 had to settle for '06 because of this. I dont know how you're recruiter came up with those numbers, cuz it sounds too good to be true.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flight surgeons go through an abbreviated syllabus in T-34s, but do not qualify as naval aviators. They do get flight pay, providing they get in the air each month in some manner (like our Doc, who goes on all our road trips with us. Comes in handy in places like Vegas). But for the most part, Docs don't fly or log time.

Of course, there's an exception to everything, I went through primary with an O-4 flight doc who somehow go the navy to put him through the entire syllabus. Also, I don't know if he's still there, but the flight surgeon at VP-30 in Jax when I went through the FRS was the crustiest old jet dude I've ever met. I don't know if he was a pilot first and then went to the medical corps or what, but he wore both Doc and Pilot wings on his nametag.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
True statements above. Very very few Docs go through the entire NFO or Pilot sylabus. In fact there is no official program for it. The Navy programs for Med school are very good if a guy is interested and qualified. One fine point about DairyCreamer's info. '05 quotas are for candidates that will be commissioned withing the '05 FY. Since OCS is about three months long that means it is for classes between some late date in July 04 and early date in July 05. Good luck all.

kevin

there is a program in the navy that allows a person to do 10 year flying commitment and then immediately to med school. ive known 2 flyers who did that. it's obviously a long commitment (10 + 8) but you get to do both. then again you can just do your 10 years and then go to any med school, same thing.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm familier with that program. Those guys almost always come back regular Medical Corps Officers (MDs) and never get NATOPs qualified as a Naval Aviator again. Many probably do become flight surgeons, but but they rarely get back into the cockpit as aircraft commander.

kevin

wink, absolutely true. my point wasnt that you'd be able to be a doctor and pilot at the same time, but rather that youd get your 10 years (or however many) of flying in, and then 8 years of medicine. the only benefit to this over doing 10 years in the navy as pilot and then leaving and doing medicine as a civvy is that youd be able to stay career navy and be at least loosely involved with flying if that was your choice.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
I will be going to OCS in Jan '05. Not sure how competetive it is now, I applied for BDCP almost 3 years ago. At that time it was obviously wide open. I would consider most of the info your recruiter tells you about available slots as rumor.

Status
Not open for further replies.