• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1st Class Swim Test

sarnav

Swim Test

https://www.cnet.navy.mil/nascweb/p...lass_swimmer/pdf/first_class_swimmer_2004.pdf

That is from CNET, do a google search and tons of stuff pops up. Basically you have to be extremely proficient (Proper arm pull/kick/breathing ratio) for all strokes, be comfortable underwater for a little while (25 meters), and be at least 2nd Class alrready. I took the swim tester course so we did a little more but plan on a few quick powerpoints, then time in the pool. And people do DOR in this, you'd be surprised:confused:
SN

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
it is advisable to practice the fire swim if you aren't used to swimming underwater (completely) for 50 meters.....you have to pop up twice (and "breathe") using a very particular method. The rest of the test was a cakewalk, but I actually failed the fire swim first time I took it b/c I had never tried it before....and I wasn't the only one

Acoustix99

pilot
um....i don't think what we got was a 1st class swim qual in API - they do a bunch of swim stuff, but I'm pretty sure it's just the aviation swim stuff, and not the 1st class. I mean, we had guys who could barely tread water that are now winged. In API, don't sweat the swim. No matter how much of an aquarock you are, they will teah you what you need to know to pass, and if you goof up, they'll have you come to the pool more often till you pass. Don't sweat it.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
you'll have to do a mile swim with a flight suit on... and tread water with full flight gear for a few minutes. some other stuff to. Nothing too bad if you've been swimming your whole life but if you've never swam before, it might be a good idea to take some classes at the YMCA.

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
You take the 2nd Class swim test in API as well as the Aircrew (Pilots, NFOs, and Aircrewmen) swim quals to have confidence to survive out at sea.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I just did WS-5 (SV-2, boots, gloves, flight suit) today and wasnt able to complete it. I feel like sh!t but I'm not gonna let this be the end of me. I'm on E.I. now. My problem I think was my technique. And for some reason, I was getting tired as soon as we had to drown proof. On the third try, I stayed relaxed and did bigger movements with my arms and legs. It would start slow, then I'd start getting fast. I felt like I was fighting to stay afloat. I wasnt panicking until I shallowed a huge gulp of pool water. Then they threw the lifesaver.

Anyways, is there any advice out there for this determined & highly motivated SNFO to get through this treading? ANY ADVICE PLEASE IS APPRECIATED. Thanks guys. It really means a lot :)

Love,
Fezz

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fezz CB said:
I just did WS-5 (SV-2, boots, gloves, flight suit) today and wasnt able to complete it. I feel like sh!t but I'm not gonna let this be the end of me. I'm on E.I. now. My problem I think was my technique. And for some reason, I was getting tired as soon as we had to drown proof. On the third try, I stayed relaxed and did bigger movements with my arms and legs. It would start slow, then I'd start getting fast. I felt like I was fighting to stay afloat. I wasnt panicking until I shallowed a huge gulp of pool water. Then they threw the lifesaver.

Anyways, is there any advice out there for this determined & highly motivated SNFO to get through this treading? ANY ADVICE PLEASE IS APPRECIATED. Thanks guys. It really means a lot :)

Love,
Fezz
I've got fairly low body fat, but my technique for treading has made swim qual worry free. Try to position yourself in the water with your head tilted back so that just your face is out of the water. Next, adjust your breathing technique so that your lungs are at maximum inflation for the longest possible time as you're treading. It's similar to the breathing you use when drown-proofing. I basically inhale a full breath, hold, then rapidly exchange (exhale/inhale) as required. Work on this in the pool during EI. This helps you maintain maximum buoyancy and reduces the work that your arms/legs have to do. I've got it down so that I can tread with just one arm and no legs for as long as I want and there's really not much exertion required. Give it a try and report back.

Brett

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
What happened to the 1 mile swim that an EA-6 pilot told us we'd have to do? Or is that a Marine thing?

Okay....just to clarify, at API, do you pass a Navy certification or a Marine certification and are those different?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
While I have not been to API, I just recently completed a 45 minute tread water test for my SCUBA class. I would like to second what was said above by Brett. Since I lowered my body fat, I've noticed that when I try to do a back float, my whole lower body just sinks under the water. But if I keep a deep breath in and my head tilted back I will stay afloat in that position. I use the same position for treading water. I have never tried the one handed method though. But after 45 minutes I still had plenty of energy left. Good luck.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
mmx1 said:
What happened to the 1 mile swim that an EA-6 pilot told us we'd have to do? Or is that a Marine thing?

Okay....just to clarify, at API, do you pass a Navy certification or a Marine certification and are those different?
If there's an additional Marine qual, I'm not aware of it - it's all the same. Mile swim still applies to all.

Brett

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Brett327 said:
I've got fairly low body fat, but my technique for treading has made swim qual worry free. Try to position yourself in the water with your head tilted back so that just your face is out of the water. Next, adjust your breathing technique so that your lungs are at maximum inflation for the longest possible time as you're treading. It's similar to the breathing you use when drown-proofing. I basically inhale a full breath, hold, then rapidly exchange (exhale/inhale) as required. Work on this in the pool during EI. This helps you maintain maximum buoyancy and reduces the work that your arms/legs have to do. I've got it down so that I can tread with just one arm and no legs for as long as I want and there's really not much exertion required. Give it a try and report back.

Brett

I'm not sure if we're allowed to tilt the head back. I actually did this on my third try and I did notice better bouyancy and less work. I need to practice it more. Can we do the same with the helmet as well? Anyways, I'll apply your technique during E.I. and report back. Much thanks Brett.