• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1st Class Swim Test

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Fezz CB said:
I'm not sure if we're allowed to tilt the head back.

Fezz, Fezz, Fezz... If it works, try it. If they yell at you, stop. Then try it again. Wash and repeat. They can't watch you the whole time, and it's not like you aren't going to tilt your head back if it was the real deal. And yes, it works really well w/ the helmet (extra buoyancy there). Another technique is to get away from all the other retards flailing about, even if that means getting far away from the wall. I'm a low body fat guy, as well, so I "float" pretty low in the water. I always try and get away from all the other bodies making waves so I don't have to get my head too high to breath. It always pisses me off when guys start drifting towards me, because it just makes it harder on everyone around and sucking water ensues.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
1st Class swim qual involves, among other things, a Red Cross or YMCA lifeguard certification. The qual means that you are, erm, qualified in lifesaving techniques and not just saving your own skin.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
gatordev said:
Fezz, Fezz, Fezz... If it works, try it. If they yell at you, stop. Then try it again. Wash and repeat. They can't watch you the whole time, and it's not like you aren't going to tilt your head back if it was the real deal. And yes, it works really well w/ the helmet (extra buoyancy there). Another technique is to get away from all the other retards flailing about, even if that means getting far away from the wall. I'm a low body fat guy, as well, so I "float" pretty low in the water. I always try and get away from all the other bodies making waves so I don't have to get my head too high to breath. It always pisses me off when guys start drifting towards me, because it just makes it harder on everyone around and sucking water ensues.

Hahaha. Roger that Gatordev.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
squorch2 said:
1st Class swim qual involves, among other things, a Red Cross or YMCA lifeguard certification. The qual means that you are, erm, qualified in lifesaving techniques and not just saving your own skin.
If you are already certified, does that act as any form pass. Or do you get to re-qual the Navy way? :)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Brett327 said:
If there's an additional Marine qual, I'm not aware of it - it's all the same. Mile swim still applies to all.

Brett

Yes, there is a Marine qual that all Marines have to do. Pilots had (years ago, but probably still correct) to be 1st class or higher (WSQ) before leaving TBS. After that, API was easy.

By the way, your aviation swim requal serves as your Marine requal. You'll never do the Marine thing again after API. If you're WSQ you wouldn't either regardless of MOS.

Crowbar

None
Harrier Dude said:
If you're WSQ you wouldn't either regardless of MOS.

That changed about 2000 or 2001. Now WSQ requals every six years. That's generic WSQ though, not aircrew.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Crowbar said:
That changed about 2000 or 2001. Now WSQ requals every six years. That's generic WSQ though, not aircrew.

My bad. That's what they told us at TBS several years ago. That's why I sacrificed a Saturday morning to do the stupid test (with a hangover). I was kind of pissed when I found out as a pilot I wouldn't have to do the USMC test again anyway.

MadDog1967

Yes, there is a Marine qual that all Marines have to do. Pilots had (years ago, but probably still correct) to be 1st class or higher (WSQ) before leaving TBS. After that, API was easy.

By the way, your aviation swim requal serves as your Marine requal. You'll never do the Marine thing again after API. If you're WSQ you wouldn't either regardless of MOS.

Be sure and listen carefully to how the Marine Instructors want you to do the stroke.

Recently at TBS swim Quals many were DQ'd in breast stroke including an All American Breast stroker and another 2ndLt who still holds some VA state records in the stroke. You see they didn't do the stroke the USMC way.

As we used to say there is "The right way, the wrong way and the Marine Corps way"

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Marines as salty as MadDog can do whatever the hell they want...