• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

shankopotamus

I thought it was pretty obvious... if he wasn't aware, he's a total goober :) I think it's a great avatar...

umm...so is it bad if I'm a girl? ha

Google says you do need the calc and physics for SWO. I briefly checked a link to about.com. I recommend researching more and seeing what each designator requires of you.

Thanks. I also saw it on about.com, so I'll have to do some more research to make sure.

blarged

ready
Thanks. I also saw it on about.com, so I'll have to do some more research to make sure.

I have seen tAbout as well ... but I could have sworn that in the past few days either here on AW or over on USNavyOCS someone was asking about the same requirement and a SWO replied saying they had never taken a Calculus class. I'm still searching for the thread, but without much luck. If I find it, I will post the link.

MasterBates

@ materbates....

I was about to call you out on the fuel load but u said we cant....QQ

I was just throwing out numbers that were in the ballpark for an easy example. I pulled the AC weight out of my ass, but it's in the ballpark with the ones I have written on my kneeeboard from the last couple flights.

Strife

BDCP and IWO Questions

Hello guys,

I am a college freshman and I am considering the BDCP program. I am currently majoring in Computer Science. I would like to apply to the SNA/NFO(who wouldn't want a chance to fly) and to the IW community. My question is mainly about what aspects of my "package" I should focus on improving. From reading I have done it seems that BDCP applications are mostly based on academics since I will be applying my sophmore year I will lack certain aspects such as important work experience ect.. My other question is concerning the IW community, and I understand this is Airwarriors so no worries if you can't help. As far as my degree in Computer Science, which discipline would make me a better or more prepared IWO. I understand my main concern will be management and my role as a Navy Officer, and by discipline I'm refering to Comp Sci topics like pen testing, software engineering, networking ect..

Thanks,
Ben

Note: I typed this on my phone so any typos, sorry it was quite difficult.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
The search function will yeild much results. Lots of others have shared their packages and commented on how to improve.

Basically anything that will make your package look better will help. Your selling your self, make yourself sound good.

The biggest aspects are your GPA (CS is a good major, cant help on your concentration) and your ASTB score. ASTB is the Navy's officer test much like a SAT. Study and score well on it. Other than that, stay out of trouble, stay healthy, work out, and be productive on getting your package together.

Strife

Alright, thank you for your time. Another question if you don't mind, my school actually has their own airport and offers a class to earn your PP, does the Aviation community prefer candidates with their licenses? Also sorry for the redundancy, like I said I'm on my phone and the pages load rather slowly.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
As far as your PPL goes, the way I understand it is that some flight time is good but getting your PPL might be a waste of money for a little extra flash. Having some flight time and a instructor who can write a letter of recommendation is what I did although plenty of people have gone in without any flight time.

YMMV but i've also heard that some people have a hard time breaking habits they learn in civilian flying when they get to military flight schools. My instructor was a ex-marine pilot so I wasnt as worried. Something to consider though.

That being said, if the class is cheap, take it. If nothing else it will be a blast and help you a little bit.

If the class is expensive (and your like me and made of flesh not money) maybe get some hours on your own but within your means.

Focus on GPA, ASTB, Good work refferences, some volunteer work, an eagle scout or anything to show off. If you got the money go for the PPL but there are plenty of cheaper ways to look good.

Strife

Awesome, thanks. As far as I know if you take the class and pay the tuition then its like 2k or so to get it. Right now I'm on a full-ride with an excess of 1500 a semester in grant money. If I chose to take the class the state of Texas would be funding it. Thank you guys, I'm anxious to get started and this forum just makes it a little worse.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
Hello guys,

I am a college freshman and I am considering the BDCP program. I am currently majoring in Computer Science. I would like to apply to the SNA/NFO(who wouldn't want a chance to fly) and to the IW community. My question is mainly about what aspects of my "package" I should focus on improving. From reading I have done it seems that BDCP applications are mostly based on academics since I will be applying my sophmore year I will lack certain aspects such as important work experience ect.. My other question is concerning the IW community, and I understand this is Airwarriors so no worries if you can't help. As far as my degree in Computer Science, which discipline would make me a better or more prepared IWO. I understand my main concern will be management and my role as a Navy Officer, and by discipline I'm refering to Comp Sci topics like pen testing, software engineering, networking ect..

Thanks,
Ben

Note: I typed this on my phone so any typos, sorry it was quite difficult.

I recommend you head over to www.informationwarriors.net for a better answer to any and all of your IWO questions, too.

blarged

ready
If you can get your PPL for $2K ... just do it.

You are in the same boat I was a few years back. I am a Computer Science kid who has been pro-rec'd for BDCP-IW. Still waiting (2+ months ...err...) for Final Select.

If you want to know my full (and wordy) experience, check out the BDCP tags in my blog (link in my signature). In addition to InformatinoWarriors.net, you can check out the IWO Facebook group. There's a lot of people on there that can be very good resources.

Good luck!

luvdblue

Questions from someone just getting started...

Hey guys, new on this site but I have a few Qs about BDCP. Any advice or help is appreciated.

First, when is the best time to apply (I'm a Poli Sci major, so it looks like the soonest I could do so is my junior year). So would I just apply as soon as that year starts...? Are applications on a "rolling" basis, or is there a set deadline for each year?

Second, how competitive is it to get? Is it as hard as OCS, or slightly more doable? Anyone know the selection rates?

Third, how does the whole active duty thing work? It states on the website that your service time starts while you're in school, but what exactly does that mean? Would you have less time to serve when your done (and if so, how much less (less in active, or reserves))??

Finally, when you apply for BDCP, are you automatically guaranteed a spot in OCS? What about a specific community...when do you hear which one you're selected for (or do you apply for communities later)?

That's it! Sorry for the length...any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

PS: This probably sounds like a really ignorant question, and I apologize, but what exactly is the Navy's role in the Middle East right now? Are many officers (esp. in Intel, SW or IW) getting deployed over there? I know the future is a bit unpredictable to say the least, but any thoughts about what the future role might be there? Thanks!