• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
If aviation is your first choice then get your eyes fixed then apply for aviation. Don't apply for something just to get in.

I don't agree with the second part of this at all. I applied for aviation (my first chioce and what I wanted to do), but put down NFO and Supply as second and third choices, respectively. The first time I got denied, but figured I'd still rather be a Suppo than a civilian. I swore in to Supply, and 2 years later (right prior to graduating), after 3 more redesignation applications, I picked up SNA.

Bottom line, I would've missed out on $60,000+ in BDCP money had I not taken Supply. Don't get me wrong, if you'd rather not be in the military at all if you couldn't be in aviation, then don't take the slot. But if you 'can't' get picked up for SNA, but would still like to be a Naval Officer, I say take the slot (and free money) and keep on reapplying for aviation. It worked out beautifully for me.

Autoace

Enter....the minimum GPA required is a 2.7 cumulative. Also, not to bum you out or anything, but with 52 units under your belt you are very close to graduation correct???

I graduate with a BS next month and I had applied for BDCP prior to starting my final semester. I believe that part of the reason I was not picked up was due to the fact that I only had 4 months of undergraduate studies remaining.....catch my drift.

What are your educational goals after your Bachelors? The Navy does have Masters degree programs that you can look into (although most non-technical ones require a GPA of at least 3.0).

For not you should concentrate all your efforts on bringing that GPA up to at least a 2.7 by the time you graduate.

You can also just go straight OCS....

AA

Ajleger

Depending on your degree program, you need at least 60 credits (halfway done) to get accepted. You need to be within 2 years of graduation.. Unless you are an engineering or technical major. Then you can be within 3, although I haven't really heard of anyone getting accepted that early (I REALLY wish I had known about the program back then and tried though).

You also need the 2.7 GPA. You have time. Get great grades (at least 3.75) next semester and I think that would pull you up, and it would show what you can do when you put your mind to it.

cram88

BDCP Supply
I was accepted into the program with 47 credits actually. Don't know how. Accounting major, supply designator, 3.5 GPA. Hmm..

Bonko

Final Select SNA (Sept 13th)
Remember to just keep trying. Apply be rejected, get the grades up reapply, keep at it. If it never goes through apply for OCS straight. Never give up never surrender.

blarged

ready
Remember to just keep trying. Apply be rejected, get the grades up reapply, keep at it. If it never goes through apply for OCS straight. Never give up never surrender.

This is the #1 best advice anyone can give you with regards to your OCS application (other than don't fail at life). I am a product of being turned down then re-applying, as I know many others are here as well!

kacraven

'd still rather be a Suppo than a civilian

Yeah this is basically how I feel too - one question though - How hard is it to get PRK while in BDCP? Do you need to get permission/a wavier to do it?

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Echo that, 2.7 is Min. Time to do less judo and wrestling and more studying if this is what you really want.

acwild you still waiting on final?

WEGL12

VT-28
Introduction and questions about BDCP

I just joined Air Warriors and discovered that there is a large amount of information about the BDCP program on this site. I am planning to talk to an officer recruiter in two weeks but would like to do some research before I go to the recruiting office. I am currently attending a community college which is part of a two and two program with The Citadel. After four semesters I will attend the Citadel at night. I am majoring in civil engineering. The only reason I am attending the community college is because I have to work full time to pay for college. I am concerned that attending a community college will affect my chances of applying and getting accepted into the BDCP program. Does it have a negative impact on my overall package? I have talked to a former naval officer that knows about the program and he believes that I can still apply before I transfer to the Citadel. I am taking a full load which includes calculus, engineering physics, and chemistry. I have a 4.0 GPA after one semester and work 40+ hours a week. I am a member of the school’s honor society. I also have around 230 hours of community service since tenth grade. I have started to plan well into the future and have most of my recommendations lined up (including a former naval O-6, a naval O-4, an air force O-3, a marine E-8, and my supervisor). I have started to look over the study guides for the ASTB. My last question is can I take the ASTB anytime during college? I would like to take it by the end of the summer but not sure if I have to be under three years to graduation. Thanks for the help. I am looking forward to reading the information this site has to offer.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
OK. First concerning the community college aspect. I do not think it holds nearly as much weight as about.mil makes it seem. I applied out of a CC with no transcripts from a UC and made it in. With a 4.0 and the classes your taking you should have no problem with that part of your package. More weight is placed upon GPA, Major, and ASTB which so far your doing good on 2/3.

For the ASTB you can take it at anytime. Remember you can only take the test three times MAX in your lifetime so dont rush it or take it lightly. For a technical degree you can get into BDCP three years out (although somewhat rare). By the time you get your package together you should be on track.

Make sure your physically ready as well. Get in touch with a recruiter and get the ball rolling (it tends to take some time). He can also make sure you meet all the little requirement details. You may have to wait a few months before you can submit your package but if your accepted believe me it's worth it.

Good Luck.

WEGL12

VT-28
Need some advice

Today I talked with my recruiter for the first time about the BDCP program and becoming a naval officer. He told me about the program and his last statement was that he strongly suggested I transfer to a college with NROTC because it is more likely to receive a commission through ROTC than BDCP. He led me to believe that if you participate in a NROTC unit, normally you will receive a commission. He also stated that it is easier to receive the preferred service selection coming from a NROTC program. Another reason he encouraged ROTC over BDCP is because I am currently attending a community college and he said that I could not apply until I transfer to a university. This was surprising to me because I have noticed that a few people on airwarriors have been accepted into the program from a community college. My main goal is to receive a commission and now I am confused on which way is best to achieve my goal. I am trying to gather as much information as possible before I transfer after the fall semester. One last question can I join a NROTC unit with only three years left to graduation? The units’ websites I have looked at aren’t very clear in that area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Today I talked with my recruiter for the first time about the BDCP program and becoming a naval officer. He told me about the program and his last statement was that he strongly suggested I transfer to a college with NROTC because it is more likely to receive a commission through ROTC than BDCP. He led me to believe that if you participate in a NROTC unit, normally you will receive a commission. He also stated that it is easier to receive the preferred service selection coming from a NROTC program. Another reason he encouraged ROTC over BDCP is because I am currently attending a community college and he said that I could not apply until I transfer to a university. This was surprising to me because I have noticed that a few people on airwarriors have been accepted into the program from a community college. My main goal is to receive a commission and now I am confused on which way is best to achieve my goal. I am trying to gather as much information as possible before I transfer after the fall semester. One last question can I join a NROTC unit with only three years left to graduation? The units’ websites I have looked at aren’t very clear in that area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

If you want to do BDCP, then tell him no deal (politely) and that you'd like to get the ball rolling. A recruiter is supposed to work for YOU.

If he refuses to do the work and get your application ready and submitted for BDCP, then find a new recruiter who will. That would be just plain ridiculous.

If you really want to do NROTC, then I guess figure out who to talk to and get started on that. Really simple.

I'm pretty sure you can join NROTC with 3 years left.

Lobster

You have to be at an accredited college or university to be eligible for BDCP so that gouge on people being accepted from community college is wrong. They might have started out at a CC then transfered into an accredited school.

And to second what Otto said if you want this go for it, and if the recruiter won't help find another one. I originally contacted an OR out of Syracuse because I thought that was the closest to my College at the time. They didn't know what was going on up there and were not helpful at all with providing info on the BDCP, so I got in touch with an OR out of Philly (where I'm from) and got the ball rolling that way...two years later I was swearing in. Keep your head up and keep after it, best of luck.