• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Well, he's right that you need to be at a university. With BDCP you sign a contract for the designator you apply and are accepted for; with NROTC you go where they put you. Whether it's "easier" to get aviation through NROTC I do not know, but I do know there's no guarantee through that route.

torpedo0126

I was stashed as an assistant recruiting officer at an NROTC unit. Feel free to PM me with any questions about NROTC regs.

While I don't have the actual stats, I do believe it would be 'easier' to receive a commission through NROTC. Here's why...There are several different scholarships offered that would have you ending up at an NROTC school. If you have three years left, you can easily still commission under NROTC.

If, for whatever reason, you don't receive a scholarship (and essentially a commission) you can still commission under NROTC through advanced standing. Basically, the CO, OD (Officer Development) and other higher ups agree that while they didn't give you a scholarship you still deserve to commission. It doesn't happen a ton because usually people pursue other ways to commission. However, if you stick it out, keep you PT and grades up, and generally give a shit, there is a good chance you will earn a commission--also having a technical major helps a lot.

If you would like a comprehensive understanding of how NROTC works, download the 'ROD' (regulations for officer development). Its a huge document that has a lot of stuff you don't need to worry about--but the hyperlinked TOC will take to you to whatever you need to know.

I would imagine he is correct in saying NROTC receives preffered selection simply because of the 'training' Midshipmen undergo while in the program. However, understand that NROTC only commissions unrestricted line officers (SWO/SWO(N), Subs, SNA/SNFO, EOD, SEAL)--with a few opportunities for Docs, Reactor engineers and EDO. You didn't specifiy if you wanted aviation, so just understand with NROTC, you won't have a chance to go Intel or PAO unless you really mess yourself up medically.

Red Pilgrim

Downsides of BDCP?

I think we are all aware of the positive sides of BDCP. What I am wondering is what are some negative sides of it. I just want to get a good look from both sides of the table before I work on applying for this and take an oath. I have seen some people on this site who are not interested in BDCP so I know that some people here think the negatives outweigh the positives.

Also I will require PRK because my vision is 20/200. I am assuming that NAMI won't see anything until OCS so I can apply at anytime for BDCP. To word it a little differently, will I be hit with a NAMI regulation if I apply for BDCP before I get PRK? I am very interested in the striker pipeline and do not want my vision to get in the way of that.

Thanks for any input.

m26

Contributor
I couldn't find it with search, but I swear this exact thread came up not too long ago.

The only negative is that if you can't hack it, you'll go enlisted. Or, if you're really motivated, a downside might be that you have to wait 12+ weeks after graduating to commission, and you get no military "fun" while in school.

It's not so much that there are downsides, it's that other programs have better upsides. For example a private school student might get more out of NROTC, because he can get a huge tuition bill covered by the Navy.

Point is, BDCP is an incredible deal. Don't get caught up looking for the "catch."

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I can say with confidence that after hearing all the great things about BDCP, given the chance I would still have chosen NROTC for college.

That doesn't mean that BDCP has a catch per se but for as much as I hated my school, I enjoyed NROTC, I didn't have to go to OCS, and I got to do some pretty cool stuff as a Mid during the summer.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
How's the Yelling, PT, etc. in NROTC compare with OCS?

It has been said a million and one times here, NROTC and OCS are completely different animals. In NROTC you aren't going to be in a 'boot camp' style environment for 4 years. You may have an indoc that is similar to OCS, or if you go to a Corps of Cadets school (Texas A&M) you may have a Plebe summer style year similar to the Naval Academy.

NROTC prepares you to be an officer over the course of 3 to 5 years. OCS crams it all into just over 3 months.

You will PT in NROTC, but the intensity will vary from unit to unit. You might get lit up for screwing up, but you aren't going to be yelled at on a day to day basis just for existing, as you might in OCS.

Just different methods of training due to different time constraints.

blarged

ready
What happens if you get med rolled during OCS? Do you still get stuck as an undesignated striker and forced into enlisted?

From the BDCP Service Agreement:

e. removed
and where subparagraph 1(d) is...

d. removed
So it sounds like they will try (you can try) to place you in another community ... but if nothing works out ... enlisted side.

[edit]well .. i read down further and saw a privacy act notification so thought best that I remove my quotes. Ask your OR for the BDCP SA and check out 1(d) and 1(e).[/edit]

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
What happens if you get med rolled during OCS? Do you still get stuck as an undesignated striker and forced into enlisted?

No. I'm not sure why this subject needed its own thread because the ONLY cons of BDCP are if you:

1) DOR during OCS, you get enlisted and sent to the Fleet.
2) Let your GPA slip below a 2.7 for more than a semester OR if you somehow got in serious trouble with the law you'd be up shit's creek.

So, aside from sabotaging yourself, there are no cons to BDCP whatsoever.

BackOrdered

Contributor
There just isn't any downside other than dropping out of OCS and to be honest, it appeared the class teams knew who was in a contract program and while they weren't immune to being rolled to death, I have yet to hear or see anyone attrite without a choice while in BDCP or NUPOC (especially NUPOC).

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
How would that work, Pilgrim? If you aren't medically qualified for any officer programs, why would you be medically qualified for an enlisted one?

I wouldn't worry about anything outside your control forcing you to go enlisted.