• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

8WOOD

I got 8/8/8 and I know that I could have done better. There were plenty of questions that I had to guess on, and I know if I do some more math practice and read an Aviation/Nautical book I would have more correctly answered questions. I told my recruiter that and he said that he wasn't going to let me take the ASTB again, so I guess my scores are good to go. Maybe I got lucky on all of those guesses.

Thanks for your answer and an 8/8/8 is an amazing score.

nebekerb

Final Select SNA
Contributor
I just took the ASTB and am waiting for the results. Honestly, I feel that I didn't do very well or as well as I usually do on tests. Did anyone that got higher scores than 6/6/6/ feel this way? The easiest part for me was the spacial apprehension.

Yup, waiting is driving me insane

I got a 5/6/6 and I just got pro rec'd for SNA yesterday. Yes, I did feel like I didn't do so hot on that test. I guess they actually do consider the whole person and not just the ASTB.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got a 5/6/6 and I just got pro rec'd for SNA yesterday. Yes, I did feel like I didn't do so hot on that test. I guess they actually do consider the whole person and not just the ASTB.

Congrats!

getmeinaf18

Thats awesome. Its nice to know that there are real people who actually take the time to look at the whole picture of the applicant.

cifue1ke

I'm applying for the BDCP program and I just took the ASTB test, my scores weren't good but my recruiter told me I should be ok to get in. However, he told me to get on here and see what people think and get there advice on what programs I would have a chance at getting in. My scores were 4/4/5/49. The programs that I was interested in are Intelligence, Surface Warfare, Information Warfare, and Supply Corp. My college GPA is 3.22 and I will graduate with a dual degree in Business Administration with an Accounting major and Spanish with business concentration. Sorry this post is kind of long. Please tell me what you think.

nebekerb

Final Select SNA
Contributor
I am active duty enlisted in the Air Force. I obtained my Bachelor's degree in management recently and just took the ASTB 2 weeks ago. I got my scores today. Now, I didn't study because I was terribly busy. I had recently taken the Air Force's exam and did very well. However, I'm not feeling so great about the ASTB scores. Then again, I really don't know how to decipher them. I just saw what others got and I just aint feelin it, if you get my drift. I would love a pilot slot, but, I'm mainly looking for a commission, possibly in Intel (my current career path).

Ok, here are the scores: 5/6/5 and a 47. Whatever that means. I was told they don't suck, but they're far from good. My translation is that they suck more than I'm led to believe.

Any advice would be outstanding.

I just got pro rec'd for SNA and my ASTB scores were about the same as yours. Other things factor into your application besides that.

25 years old
Prior enlisted in the Marines for 5 years (Sergeant - Radio Technician)
B.S. in Psychology - 3.94 GPA (Summa Cum Laude)
Phi Kappa Phi (top 10% GPA at University)
Psi Chi (Psychology Honor Society)
Alpha Phi Sigma (Criminal Justice Honor Society)
Department of Psychology Outstanding Student of the Year
Mock Trial Team
ASTB: 5,6,6 46 (Not pleased with my performance)
LOR: three from professors and one from a family friend
PRT: Outstanding Medium
Completed MEPS

In the end, I don't know what got me selected, but I know my ASTB didn't make me an undesirable. You'll never get accepted if you don't apply.

Warren

I love this site. I found a lot of useful information that helped me with my ASTB.

I scored 8/7/8 with an OAR of 66. I'm prior service in the Army as Airborne Infantry. I have one semester to finish my chemistry degree, but I'm getting ready to ship out for a tour in Iraq. Ok, so detriments to my package would be a lower GPA than I'd like (2.6-2.7 upon completion), and I would be required to have PRK.

Ok so first off, how do my chances look to you guys?

And second, when I get back I should have some extra money, should I get a private pilots license to improve my chances?

BullGator

I love this site. I found a lot of useful information that helped me with my ASTB.

I scored 8/7/8 with an OAR of 66. I'm prior service in the Army as Airborne Infantry. I have one semester to finish my chemistry degree, but I'm getting ready to ship out for a tour in Iraq. Ok, so detriments to my package would be a lower GPA than I'd like (2.6-2.7 upon completion), and I would be required to have PRK.

Ok so first off, how do my chances look to you guys? Very good with your scores and prior service. It is also all about timing (luck), so we can't answer this precisely. OUSooner had a bad GPA (2.51-2.55) and he was just pro-rec'd for SNA/SNFO, so don't let that one factor discourage you; just apply when you are able to.

And second, when I get back I should have some extra money, should I get a private pilots license to improve my chances? Save money; (from what I have seen on AW) don't spend it on PPL or flight time just to increase your chances.
Are you going to Iraq while taking classes, or will you finish school after you get back?

I put some of my opinions in blue. Good luck sir.

Edit: Just saw your profile and noticed you are 28yo. That may change my PPL opinion, but I really don't know if it will help. There is a thread devoted to the PPL and selection chances that you may want to look into. I say this because I am not sure how many times or how often you can apply with your age and being active duty. Again good luck, and if anyone can help you out more on this, I hope they do.

8WOOD

ASTB score good enough for the marines?

My OSO just called with my test results 6/6/6--I want 7's but, I'm happy I'm to have passed--because I am an English major and have little to no flight experience.

I understand marines requirements are 4/6/6/ so I'm just barely passing.

My question is: will 6/6/6, GPA 3.3 give me any problems getting selected? Or should I retake and get higher scores?

Yankee Uniform Tango
I'd say you're good to go. For the Marines the ASTB is more of a check in the box, so as long as you're above the minimums, "it doesn't matter" (the one exception would be if you're competing against a candidate with the exact same package as yours, but with better ASTB scores). I wouldn't bother retaking, unless you're thinking of applying to the Navy also.

For what it's worth, my scores/GPA were almost exactly the same as yours. Just make sure you have a kick-ass PFT score!

Gills

All that I've ever heard is that Marines is pass/fail. You passed, so there should be no reason to take it again.

8WOOD

I'd say you're good to go. For the Marines the ASTB is more of a check in the box, so as long as you're above the minimums, "it doesn't matter" (the one exception would be if you're competing against a candidate with the exact same package as yours, but with better ASTB scores). I wouldn't bother retaking, unless you're thinking of applying to the Navy also.

For what it's worth, my scores/GPA were almost exactly the same as yours. Just make sure you have a kick-ass PFT score!

Thanks for the info... My PFT is 300 is that good enough? :)