• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
When I was in ROTC, one of the LTs (a pilot) gave me a sheet that detailed exactly how all of your stats are added up for aviation selection. If I remember right, in 2006, Navy mins were 5/4; Marine mins were higher 6/5, I think. A '5' equates to the median/mode of a bell curve. 9/9 puts you in the top 1.2%, 9/8 in the top 1.7% - Most people fall in the 4-6 range.

Anyhow, in 2006 - OAR (your 44) didn't mean squat. It was 40% ASTB scores (AQR & PFAR/FOFAR), 27% GPA, 6% Academic Major (actually 1.5%, everyone gets a free 4.5% - which is BS), the remaining 27% was mostly an average of your class standing, with a few % for the C.O. to throw your way if he/she deems it to be proper.

Here's a good document (Warning: it could be a bit out-of-date): http://www.usnavy.vt.edu/CurrentStudents/Forms/astboverview.pdf

Edit: I just noticed you're not a ROTC student. I guess you'd have to talk to your recruiter to see how you'll stack up, I don't know how BDCP/OCS folks' scores are compared. If you think you could do better taking it again, I would. Unless you score 8/8 or more, your familiarity with the methods the second time around should boost your score.

See your case is different. I'm saying after the ASTB..yes the recruiter would be foolish to send the guy to MEPS and do the PRT..if he didn't take the ASTB yet. Everything is contingent on the ASTB score. That is where you get the "okay..here is what we're gonna do...." or..."well thanks for coming in and taking it, you'll hear back from us..ive got a meeting today".

I'm talking POST ASTB...you still have a ways to go for your package and being selected after the ASTB test that just decides if the recruiter deems you worthy to continue their time.

OUSOONER, completely agree. I added a timeline to my application page on my website to give applicants a gauge of how the process should work. Every recruiter is different, but mine makes the most sense!

well I have my private pilot's liscensce and about 200 hours. I am also the treasurer the naval aviation and I am a member of a couple of other clubs. Plus I got a LOR FROM A women who has known me my whole life and is an assistant chief of the NYC police department, and I also got one from a commander I know. As for my motivational statement I haven't even started on that thing, but I'm definitely going to work on that right away. Good thing I am a pretty good writer. Anyway I'm going to give it my all these last two semesters and see where that gwts, and I'm going to bust my ass on my PRT. To give you kind of an idea I got like 3.27 but I don't know ho good that will be for them. To tell you the truth I was kinda bumed when I got my scores I don't feel as bad but I know I gotta really bust my ass know.

You have above average extracurricular activities. Your GPA is good, rec's are on par. As atrickpay pointed out, the selection is a holistic process. If you don't get selected, you know exactly what to improve and I would say that the ASTB is an easy "quick fix" for an app. Everything but the ASTB is saying selection so far.

zoomie08

Fast, Neat, Average...
Does ASTB performance actually predict performance at all? I got an 8/9/8 58, but I don't feel simple test scores will have any bearing at all on cockpit performance (I'm a SNA that starts in September). Anyone have any thoughts on this?

cgoetz

Yeah but you got a 5-7-5. I got a 5-6-5 44 I don't know how much of a difference that point made. Besides you must have had one hell of a packet I assume. It may have also had to do with when you applied. I don't know I'm going to apply anyway.

Does ASTB performance actually predict performance at all? I got an 8/9/8 58, but I don't feel simple test scores will have any bearing at all on cockpit performance (I'm a SNA that starts in September). Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm not in the aviation community so I have no personal knowledge of the subject but studies have been done and attrition rate has improved since the advent of the ASTB.

Straight from the source:

How well does the ASTB predict training performance and attrition?

ASTB scores are highly predictive of aviation training outcomes, such as grades that are obtained from tests during training in classroom settings (academic grades) and ratings that are derived from performance in aircraft (flight grades). The measure that is used to describe the test’s ability to predict flight grades and academic grades is called validity. The predictive validity of the AQR for the prediction of SNA (pilot) academic grades is r = .45 (p < .001), while the validity of the PFAR to predict SNA flight grades is r = .35 (p < .001). Validity coefficients range from 0 to 1 and the validity for both academic and flight grades compare favorably with selection testing standards.

Even though the prediction of these criteria is a valuable resource, one of the most important utilizations of the ASTB is its ability to predict attrition, which refers to a student’s probability of completing aviation training. Approximately 22% of pilots and 25% of flight officers attrite from aviation training each year, which have proven to be costly figures for the Navy and Marines because of the high costs associated with training each student. Therefore, it is estimated that the reduction in training attrition costs produced by ASTB screening saves the Navy and Marine Corps over 30 million dollars each year.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Just took the astb today got a 5,6,5; 44. I know it sucks.

1) There was no reason for you to make two threads about this

2) As I responded in the other thread, if you haven't exhausted your 3 attempts, you should re-take the test. The wait might suck, but it's much easier to wait 1-3 months now and re-test than to wait 6 months after you've been rejected. The only reason not to re-test if you haven't taken it 3 times is pure laziness on your part.

As I responded in the other thread, if you haven't exhausted your 3 attempts, you should re-take the test. The wait might suck, but it's much easier to wait 1-3 months now and re-test than to wait 6 months after you've been rejected. The only reason not to re-test if you haven't taken it 3 times is pure laziness on your part.

Agreed. Study hard. Retake it.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
1) There was no reason for you to make two threads about this

2) As I responded in the other thread, if you haven't exhausted your 3 attempts, you should re-take the test. The wait might suck, but it's much easier to wait 1-3 months now and re-test than to wait 6 months after you've been rejected. The only reason not to re-test if you haven't taken it 3 times is pure laziness on your part.

Actually he can apply ...and if he gets rejected, since he has retakes up his sleeve he can still go to the next months board and so on, as long as he has an improvement. The only time you have to wait 6 months is if you have no more improvements left (no GPA improvements left or you have exhausted your ASTB retakes) and you want to resubmit the same package.

cgoetz

First of all I started this second thread because in the beginning no one seemed to be responding to the other one, besides I haven't any rules on here I that have told me otherwise. Second of all I don't take to well to people telling me I am lazy, I no my grades aren't the best but I worked really heard for them just like I have worked for all my other grades, nobody had to give them to me I earned them. Third, the reason I don't wanna retake the test is because I'm going to be in the middle of one of my last semesters and I wanna keep my grades up because I have been told many times that those can be just as important or even more important than the test, so bottom line I'm not going to be able to take it for a while anyway. Fourth most people on this site seem to agree that I should just apply and see what happens, I'll just have to beef up the rest of my package, I have a descent GPA, good LORs, and am involved in a couple of clubs at school, and my PRT is coming along well. Who knows maybe I'll get a board that that will not put so much baring on it, and if not then I guess I'll have to retake the test, besides six months isn't that long I've had to wait longer for things in the past and ended up not getting so how is this any different. Bottom line is think I would like to take a chance and see what happens.