• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

bendaggs

congrats, great scores! Your writeup was very helpful as I have just put my studying into 7th gear...first ASTB attempt around mid july/early august. Would you say the barron's practice tests were similar to the real test?
Thank you! I'm glad! I'd say the mechanical and the ANIT portions are useful, reading I didn't study for, the math should be avoided. I don't recommend the books for the math. However, I can only speak for the Barrons book.

siatak

Hi everyone, I'm happy to say that my second attempt was very successful. My first score was a 45 4/7/6 and my second was a 53 7/9/8. I'd like to thank TwoScoops for making an amazing app, without it I definitely would not have gotten that score. Secondly, everyone I messaged about their math experiences since I didn't do as well as I hoped on my first round. Thirdly, everyone who posted their experiences, tips and tricks, and all the gouge. Here's my rundown of the test:

Math:
I went through most of the ASTB prep app reviews and did the practice tests till I was averaging 90%-100%. I'll be honest, not a lot of the stuff was similar on the test to the app in my experience. I did a ton of educated guessing, which I feel many people do.

Reading:
Wow, this felt tough this time around. I didn't sleep a ton the night before and the paragraphs were a tough read. Just pick the answer that you can deduct from the reading.

Mechanical:
I feel like the Barron's book helped a lot here. Read the science review and do the practice tests. I also watched some Kieno Thomas on YouTube. He's a great resource. I didn't really use the app for this portion since the questions asked on it were much more complex than the actual test.

ANIT: Barron's book and the apps practice test are your friend. I didn't really use the online flashcards. I think at most I went through 200 of them.

PBM:
UAV: my first time around I got 5 wrong, this time around I prioritized getting all of them right. I had some really slow reaction times and some pretty fast ones. I feel like accuracy is best here. Use the app to practice!!!!!

Dichotic Listening: Tilt your head towards the ear it tells you. I also prioritized accuracy here and I feel like it paid off. I didn't study for this section.

Joystick:
I bought a HOTAS X52 on eBay (I didn't mind doing this because I care a lot about this test and I've wanted a HOTAS setup since I was a kid messing around on Microsoft Flight Sim) and used Jantzen's sim on medium difficulty for 60 seconds at a time. I practiced everyday for 3-5 times making sure my throttle score was well below 100 and the stick score was 80-110.

Dichotic + joystick:
Prioritize the listening portion on this.

Emergency Procedures:
Just write them down

Terrain:
The app was so helpful on this section. Just practice it and you'll do fine. I averaged 12/20 on the app and did well on the test.

I have a 2.94 GPA Business Management, graduating in May, applying to the June board for SNA. Hoping to go to OCS in the fall. I feel like my writeup was very run of the mill, however I hope it helps someone. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you all in person some day! Good luck, if I can do it you can!
Congratulation on your score. Do you have the link to Barron's Book? I am trying to find but I don't know how?
Barron's book
Barron's book

mmandziak

Thank you! I'm glad! I'd say the mechanical and the ANIT portions are useful, reading I didn't study for, the math should be avoided. I don't recommend the books for the math. However, I can only speak for the Barrons book.
I have Barrons's book. Would you say the prep app is better for preparing for math?

TwoScoops

Two Scops
None
Hi everyone, I'm happy to say that my second attempt was very successful. My first score was a 45 4/7/6 and my second was a 53 7/9/8. I'd like to thank TwoScoops for making an amazing app, without it I definitely would not have gotten that score. Secondly, everyone I messaged about their math experiences since I didn't do as well as I hoped on my first round. Thirdly, everyone who posted their experiences, tips and tricks, and all the gouge. Here's my rundown of the test:

Math:
I went through most of the ASTB prep app reviews and did the practice tests till I was averaging 90%-100%. I'll be honest, not a lot of the stuff was similar on the test to the app in my experience. I did a ton of educated guessing, which I feel many people do.

Reading:
Wow, this felt tough this time around. I didn't sleep a ton the night before and the paragraphs were a tough read. Just pick the answer that you can deduct from the reading.

Mechanical:
I feel like the Barron's book helped a lot here. Read the science review and do the practice tests. I also watched some Kieno Thomas on YouTube. He's a great resource. I didn't really use the app for this portion since the questions asked on it were much more complex than the actual test.

ANIT: Barron's book and the apps practice test are your friend. I didn't really use the online flashcards. I think at most I went through 200 of them.

PBM:
UAV: my first time around I got 5 wrong, this time around I prioritized getting all of them right. I had some really slow reaction times and some pretty fast ones. I feel like accuracy is best here. Use the app to practice!!!!!

Dichotic Listening: Tilt your head towards the ear it tells you. I also prioritized accuracy here and I feel like it paid off. I didn't study for this section.

Joystick:
I bought a HOTAS X52 on eBay (I didn't mind doing this because I care a lot about this test and I've wanted a HOTAS setup since I was a kid messing around on Microsoft Flight Sim) and used Jantzen's sim on medium difficulty for 60 seconds at a time. I practiced everyday for 3-5 times making sure my throttle score was well below 100 and the stick score was 80-110.

Dichotic + joystick:
Prioritize the listening portion on this.

Emergency Procedures:
Just write them down

Terrain:
The app was so helpful on this section. Just practice it and you'll do fine. I averaged 12/20 on the app and did well on the test.

I have a 2.94 GPA Business Management, graduating in May, applying to the June board for SNA. Hoping to go to OCS in the fall. I feel like my writeup was very run of the mill, however I hope it helps someone. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you all in person some day! Good luck, if I can do it you can!
Congrats on the score. Thanks for providing feedback on the app. Best of luck with completing the rest of the process to get to OCS.

TwoScoops

Two Scops
None
What app did TwoScoops make?
The link to the iOS version is below:

nicksmitty220

Hey guys, I’m on the app right now. I’m trying to take the math test and it’s only asking me questions about exponents. Nothing related to circles or rectangles at all. Anyone know why? Do I have to complete all the lessons for them to show up?

TwoScoops

Two Scops
None
Hey guys, I’m on the app right now. I’m trying to take the math test and it’s only asking me questions about exponents. Nothing related to circles or rectangles at all. Anyone know why? Do I have to complete all the lessons for them to show up?
The test question loading logic is unrelated to your completed lessons. How many math tests have you completed in the app? The easier difficulty levels are biased towards exponent problems; however, if you answer them correctly over multiple tests, you should have fewer and fewer exponent problems with time. I'm working on improving the question distribution logic.

nicksmitty220

The test question loading logic is unrelated to your completed lessons. How many math tests have you completed in the app? The easier difficulty levels are biased towards exponent problems; however, if you answer them correctly over multiple tests, you should have fewer and fewer exponent problems with time. I'm working on improving the question distribution logic.
Ahh ok. Yea I’ve only taken one test and it said I answered the harder end of the questions. I’ll just have to take more tests. Thank you!

nicksmitty220

Hey my girlfriend is helping me with compound interest. She gave me a problem where interest accrued for 10 years. I explained that having me multiply the same number 10 times would waste so much time. On the app from what I’ve seen it doesn’t make me multiply more than 2 or 3 times (annually for 2 years or semi annually for 1 year etc). Are there questions on the test asking to calculate to more than the third power? I want to be prepared for this

nicksmitty220

The aviation and naval section on the app is dense. I’m taking the test on the 29th. There’s a lot of stuff here to learn. I have some knowledge thanks to another prep book but I’m intimidated. What’s the best way to absorb this stuff. Usually reading it once and testing myself is enough but I’m unsure here.