• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
You are right that w1=w2 but w=v/r not v*r. Angular velocity has units of radians per second. This gives you v1/r1 = v2/r2. If r2=2*r1 then you have v1/r1=v2/(2*r1) so v2=2*v1. Which makes sense because the point with a larger radius has to move a greater distance compared to the point with a smaller radius so the velocity has to be high at the outer point. Hope that makes sense.
Thank you for correcting my mistake! If I'm going to get schooled, I'm glad it's by an Auburn Alum. :)

exNavyOffRec

You can only take the exam 3 times and that is not subject to change according to what my recruiter and other recruiters I have spoken too. What do you mean by "The diversity is looked at AFTER selections to see what areas need to be focused on for diversity recruiting."

Right now there is form 3,4,5 but those are being changed out with forms 5 and 6, once the new forms are in effect you can retake the exam as there is no chance of taking an exam a second time.

NRC compiles statistics of pro Y's after the boards meet to see what portion of the selections were male/female, diverse, tech/non tech (where applicable), then they put out info to the NRD's saying we need more female applicants, we need more applicants that are of asian descent, etc....

flynavy830

Well I'm pretty bummed, second go at the ASTB scored 5,6,5 48. I really felt a lot more confident after too so I'm just a little disappointing. I'm about 1 and a half years out of graduating I'm wondering if I can even apply with these scores considering the new entry format NavyOffRec laid out. Do you think I should go ahead and apply just to see, and go ahead and re take from there? I'm guessing by this time the new version will be out. I know I have to wait 6 months to take it for the third time and I really don't think the old version will still be out, thoughts?

exNavyOffRec

Well I'm pretty bummed, second go at the ASTB scored 5,6,5 48. I really felt a lot more confident after too so I'm just a little disappointing. I'm about 1 and a half years out of graduating I'm wondering if I can even apply with these scores considering the new entry format NavyOffRec laid out. Do you think I should go ahead and apply just to see, and go ahead and re take from there? I'm guessing by this time the new version will be out. I know I have to wait 6 months to take it for the third time and I really don't think the old version will still be out, thoughts?

You can apply but I wouldn't have much confidence in you being picked up, you are far enough out from graduating they may not even look at your application, they are trying to stick with 12 months out.

flynavy830

Not sure why you think you have to wait 6 months to take the test a 3rd time.....were are you getting that from? The NOMI website says 91 days from the 1st re-test.

-ea6bflyr ;)
ah crap thats what I meant man my heads in a cloud right now... what I would really like to do is start studying from this moment forward and take form 3 and really just kick its ass and put this burden aside, but like I said I'm wondering if the new version will be out by then?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ah crap thats what I meant man my heads in a cloud right now... what I would really like to do is start studying from this moment forward and take form 3 and really just kick its ass and put this burden aside, but like I said I'm wondering if the new version will be out by then?
No worries...just didn't want you waiting 6 months to take it again....or worse, getting bad gouge from someone.

-ea6bflyr ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can only take the exam 3 times and that is not subject to change according to what my recruiter and other recruiters I have spoken too.
Last time when the new tests were released, they said that candidates could take the new test regardless if they had met the previous limit or not. More than likely, the Navy will do this again.

exNavyOffRec

Last time when the new tests were released, they said that candidates could take the new test regardless if they had met the previous limit or not. More than likely, the Navy will do this again.

and the is what the administrator of the ASTB in Pensacola said.

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
Took the ASTB recently and wanted to share my score and study program as a way to give something small back to this forum that proved so very helpful. I should start by letting you know I'm not applying for an aviation slot (sorry prospective flyers), so I only took the OAR portion. Test form was number 5, my first attempt, and I got a 65 OAR.

In general, the math portion of the test was much easier than I anticipated (although I know I didn't get a couple of them); reading was somewhat more difficult, but that could be the difference between reading on a computer screen as opposed to my printed practice tests; and mechanical was about what I expected.

Materials I used to study, and my take on each resource from an OAR portion perspective:

-Barron's Flight Officer Candidate book: math practice tests were pretty similar to actual in terms of difficulty. The reading tests in here include definition and word choice question types that did not appear on the actual, which is all paragraphs. Mechanical seemed about right too. Appreciated the long sets of practice questions - not tied to a particular test, but a type of item.

-Peterson's Officer Candidate and Military Flight Aptitude Test books: math practice tests were much trickier and heavier on word problems than actual. Flip side is, better to be over prepared than not! Reading and mechanical were both about right. Officer candidate book had two practice tests, but lacked the flight material in the other book. No overlap between the practice tests so I used them all.

-Gouges and sample questions found in this forum thread: super helpful! I read the one by user Atrickpay once or twice a day in the two weeks before my exam just to keep the principles fresh in my mind. Saved a PDF on my phone for easy access any time I had a spare moment.

Overall, I studied for the exam for about 3 weeks. A scheduling mishap pushed my date back another 2 weeks, which I think helped me out a lot. I would basically do a quick bit of studying or review almost every day, with 3 or 4 longer sessions each week to do practice test problems from the books. Definitely take all the non-ASTB practice tests too, the AFOQT had lots of similar math problems!

I'm a competitive guy who likes to be good at things - who doesn't? - and I had hoped to score higher. My mentality going in was that I should be capable of answering every question correctly and obviously I fell a bit short. That said, I understand from my OR and this forum that 65 will take me where I need to go. As for my future plans, I intend to submit for the October IDC board because I'm an old guy and can't make a SWO board before I turn 29. And, I'll probably need more time to fill out that SF86 form than I spent studying!

Good luck to fellow ASTB test preppers out there!

EEYORE7763

I have aspirations to one day be an aviator in the marine corps... I received a 6/6/6 and OAR of a 59. Should I retake the astb? Hypothetically, are these scores competitive for the Navy also....I would love to be SNA but would definitely take a NFO spot given the opportunity. Additionally, I have a 3.7 GPS in electronics management from SIU. Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

exNavyOffRec

I would not recommend anyone with 8's retake the ASTB, I have NEVER seen a person with 8's get turned down, and if by some chance he goes to a 7 that would drastically decrease his chances.

if you are within one year of graduation, such as you graduate May/June 2013 submit for the July board.

Trying to figure out how my above post was rated "dumb" when it is stating a fact?