• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 07JAN24 OCS Class

FTFF

WELCOME ABOARD LETTER FROM DIRECTOR

This Welcome Aboard is on behalf of our Commanding Officer (CO), CAPT Everett Alcorn, to welcome you to
Officer Candidate School (OCS). This letter provides you with critical information regarding your arrival at the command.
Please read it in detail, and then re-read it for thorough understanding.

EXPECTATIONS:

You will arrive on Saturday in time to receive the evening meal (not later than 1500). Check-in will start early the next day and you will receive information and direction for in-processing for training.

REQUIRED ACTIONS:

1. Arrive Saturday by 1500. Communicate with your OCS point of contact if you experience travel delays or expect to be late.

2. Arrive with 3-5 days of clothing essentials, hygiene products, and items for comfort. NOTE: This not a mandate, but it will help you is in the event you are ultimately directed into an unexpected ROM or isolation period. In such a case:
  • You will be restricted to a room, likely alone.
  • You should exercise in room to improve fitness; bring sufficient attire and use this time!
  • You will go outside for 60 minutes for physical training (PT), twice a day, weather permitting—as cold as 20 degrees F and as warm as 85 degrees F, with possible snow/rain. Review the upcoming 14-day forecast and plan accordingly for weather-appropriate workout attire.
  • Laundry facilities are available onsite; bring your own detergent.
  • You will not have access to a store or any other facilities (apart from the laundry room); plan accordingly for desired supplies.
  • Computers, tablets, e-readers, books, etc. are allowed during any directed ROM / isolation period. However, they will be stored permanently for the duration of your 13-week training if no ROM or isolation is required.
  • ** ALL CANDIDATES: Consider bringing stamps so you can send letters to loved ones early in your training. You will not have your phones until very late in training.

3. Do NOT share transportation or lodging accommodations with other candidates – no exceptions!
  • Keep all travel/lodging receipts for travel claim requests (i.e., financial reimbursement). Not all expenses can be claimed, but you must have receipts for any valid expenses you do claim (such as taxi, shuttle service, hotel). Staff will assist you with this at the appropriate time.
4. *** IMPORTANT *** For those who have already arrived to Naval Station Newport and are residing in NGIS, Navy Lodge, or Susse Chalet:
  • Contact your provided OCS POCs to inform them of your berthing location. They will provide info on transitioning you to Nimitz Hall for check-in.
  • You will remain in your current lodging until check-in at Nimitz Hall on Saturday morning.
  • You ARE NOT authorized to eat in the galley until you have been checked-in and cleared to continue training without any directed ROM / isolation period.
5. *** IMPORTANT *** If you have an emergency, please contact the Command Duty Officer at 401-862-4321.

Finally, I offer you a well-deserved CONGRATULATIONS on your acceptance to OCS. I commend you for volunteering to serve our great nation, and I share your excitement for the upcoming training. OCS is proud to staff the finest Officers, Chiefs, and Marines from across our great Fleet, and we await your arrival!

FTFF

I’m from coastal Texas and have lived in Texas my whole life, I have 0 frame of reference for what training in the extreme cold is like and I am a bit nervous for it ?

I’m from coastal Texas and have lived in Texas my whole life, I have 0 frame of reference for what training in the extreme cold is like and I am a bit nervous for it ?
You’re telling me I’ve lived in southern Arizona basically my whole life! Haha

FTFF

So I’ve heard about p-days, and I haven’t finalized everything with my recruiter yet he just told me I’m selected, gave me a date, and said he’d reach out to me to meet up one morning for a PFT and I’d receive my papers from him then, so I’m waiting on that. That being said, does that mean we’d need to be in Newport on New Year’s Day?

So I’ve heard about p-days, and I haven’t finalized everything with my recruiter yet he just told me I’m selected, gave me a date, and said he’d reach out to me to meet up one morning for a PFT and I’d receive my papers from him then, so I’m waiting on that. That being said, does that mean we’d need to be in Newport on New Year’s Day?
I was wondering the same thing, I saw the term P-days around here but dont understand it. My OR told me that I cant take my PFT still 45 days out from the school date so we are talking Dec time frame before they call for that PFT and give us some paperwork. The last few months my OR has been calling me to see if I could leave sooner so I'm curious if I will end up going in Nov or not.

(I couldn't leave because my wife was at USAF BMT/tech school and I am with the kids but she is back this month, finally).

FTFF

I was wondering the same thing, I saw the term P-days around here but dont understand it. My OR told me that I cant take my PFT still 45 days out from the school date so we are talking Dec time frame before they call for that PFT and give us some paperwork. The last few months my OR has been calling me to see if I could leave sooner so I'm curious if I will end up going in Nov or not.

(I couldn't leave because my wife was at USAF BMT/tech school and I am with the kids but she is back this month, finally).
My understanding of P-days is that OCS doesn’t want to waste the valuable limited time they have with us doing administrative processing, so they want for us to arrive early to get us (mainly referring to civs jointing for the first time) squared away and up to speed before the actual curriculum begins. I guess we’ll find out soon enough about when we’re supposed to arrive.

I was originally slated for 15OCT, but my recruiter pushed me back because school ends in December and I’d like to be able to finish.

Ahh I see! Im prior Air Force so I wonder if ill be doing the same thing. Military is military but the Navy probably does just about everything possible differently than the AF so it probably wouldnt hurt if they sent me.
What rate did you get selected for?

MYKEY

Howdy! Decided to get a board going for this class date! I look forward to seeing y’all there!
Thanks for starting the thread! I just got the call today and will be reporting same date. I hope we all stay in contact!