• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Updated list of things to bring?

TSmyth

pilot
Do any OCS grads know if you are allowed to use an electric razor while at OCS? I've never really been one for the manual razor and am sure that it would eventually end in a bloody mess were I to use one on a regular basis.

Also, what's the deal with the white t-shirts? How tight do the collars have to be? I mean I don't want to look like a total a$$clown with a super tight t-shirt just for a snug collar!

Thanks,
Todd

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Yes, you can use an electric razor (at least you could way back in 2002)...I wish I had known that, because I switched over to a conventional razor.

As for tight collars, I would keep one or two white T-shirts to wear for inspections, you might get yelled at for wearing one with a looser collar, but it won't cause you to fail anything.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
TSmyth said:
... manual razor and am sure that it would eventually end in a bloody mess ... Todd

Todd: You certainly do not want to look like a clown.

Will jump in here but am rather confused. Back in the day we used a straight razor. Still have my official Navy Straight Razor, along with the strop, genuine leather it is. Have not heard of any new electric contraptions, but do know that they now make a "safety razor" and most anyone except the most spastic amongst us can safely use them. Also heard of a new Trac II that they say works mighty well.

Need more info on "T Shirt" Is that the same as "skivvies"?;) ;)

Attached, see photos of official issue army navy razor. Mano what I do for youse guys.:eek:

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Just use a lighter to burn it off every morning. Do I have to think of everything???

On a more relavent note, a t-shirt trick often used at Parris Island is to pin the collar in the back. No, seriously.

Ex Rigger

pilot
You should get your t-shirts a size too small just to ensure a tight collar. It's not like your able to wear a white t-shirt in public anyway. It only goes underneath your khakis.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Ex Rigger said:
It's not like your able to wear a white t-shirt in public anyway. It only goes underneath your khakis.

Unless, of course, you're going to that West Side Story themed party.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Alright, A follow up question: I use a regular razor to shave every morning and my face hasn't exactly adjusted ( I still bleed pretty profusely after 10 months ) . What type electrical razors have you found to get the closet shave and be the most durable =)

SpiderUSMC

What's wrong with just wearing a white T-shirt? It's my standard vollyball/date uniform.

(Someone had to say it....)

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I use a Braun activator electric, and it works pretty well. A bit more expensive than some electrics, but I've tried Norelco razors and they didn't work so well. Whichever you choose, you'll need at least a month for your face to get totally adapted to it.

If you're still hell-bent on scraping away at your face the old fashioned way, though, check out www.theartofshaving.com . Little brother swears their products are the best.

SpiderUSMC

gaijin6423 said:
I use a Braun activator electric, and it works pretty well. A bit more expensive than some electrics, but I've tried Norelco razors and they didn't work so well. Whichever you choose, you'll need at least a month for your face to get totally adapted to it.

If you're still hell-bent on scraping away at your face the old fashioned way, though, check out www.theartofshaving.com . Little brother swears their products are the best.

I use the Activator as well. Self cleaning function is great.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as the white t-shirts go, I recommend two sizes smaller than normal. Before OCS I wore size large, I took mediums with me, and ended up moving to smalls before it was all said and done. Especially if you expect to be there during any time other than the dead of winter... the collars don't stay in place worth a crap if you're sweaty.

Plan on using a regular razor for the first week or so, and after that you should be fine with an electric.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Although this wont really apply to OCS, I find that the best shave is obtained in the shower. Nothing softens up my manly beard like a few minutes under scalding hot water.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, some of us only have to shave every few days. Please save the negative comments. You wish you had the same problem. About every two or three days, I use my electric razor (Braun only....won't use anything else). And then, about once a week, usually on the weekend, I use my Mach 3 Gillette razor in the shower for a closer shave because the wife likes it. :D I agree with Brett...the best shave is obtained in the shower under scalding hot water.

I remember my first few days of bootcamp. I had to shave with the supplied disposable razors, generic no less. Damn, those things cut my face up like crazy. I vowed I would never use them again. As for OCS, invest in a good razor with disposable cartridges (Mach 3 Gillette is a good example). Use this at the very least for inspections and the electric razor for other days.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
I remember my first few days of bootcamp. I had to shave with the supplied disposable razors, generic no less. Damn, those things cut my face up like crazy. I vowed I would never use them again. As for OCS, invest in a good razor with disposable cartridges (Mach 3 Gillette is a good example). Use this at the very least for inspections and the electric razor for other days.
I endured the same traumatic experience in Boot Camp and OCS - the horror!

Brett

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Although this wont really apply to OCS, I find that the best shave is obtained in the shower. Nothing softens up my manly beard like a few minutes under scalding hot water.

Brett

Won't apply indeed. If I can recall, Indoc Candidates had a cold "shower" at best. Maybe things have changed now.