• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life after OCS: where do you live? house barracks etc.

skittle986

Ensign, Civil engineer corps, U.S Navy.
As an officer, when you get your first orders after schooling and you report to your location, where do you reside? Can you buy a house, apartment or are you required to stay in the barracks?

Sheepdip

Contributor
Not to be rude...but you've been asking some very weird questions for someone who has already made the leap and has a report date....

Surf

pilot
The officers I knew out of NAS Jax, mostly junior officers, would stack up and rent a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment to save on costs. Most if not all leasing contracts have special military addendum's that allow for early release. Just make sure to discuss your options with a leasing agent before signing.

skittle986

The officers I knew out of NAS Jax, mostly junior officers, would stack up and rent a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment to save on costs. Most if not all leasing contracts have special military addendum's that allow for early release. Just make sure to discuss your options with a leasing agent before signing.

oh ok, thank you :)

skittle986

Your question is valid, but this is the kind of stuff people usually ask before committing.

I see. I didn't think to ask before committing because I wasn't thinking about that at all. My main concern was putting forth the best possible package and getting in the best shape mentally and physically before I got my orders. Now that I am in, whatever the answer, it still wouldn't have change my mind. I am just curious to know. I know enlisted stays in barracks but I assumed it would be different for officers who don't have a spouse or children. :)

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
You're free to buy, rent, or stay on base in the BOQ (assuming they have vacant houses; Ensigns are allowed to get a two-bedroom house on base, but you'll forfeit your BAH for it). It's advisable to find someone at OCS to split an apartment/house with, since you'll pocket more BAH that way, but it might be tough to find another female CEC to room with. You could also try to put some feelers ahead to see if anyone already there (not sure what the next step is, maybe CECOS?) needs a roommate, or if any of the candio's are CEC that might wanna split a place.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Asterisk to the above: It depends on the base's availability, your marital status, the number of dependants you have, and the type of orders you receive.

If you are on TAD orders, they will generally stick you in a "BOQ," which is Navy speak for a hotel room. You get per diem which is supposed to cover the cost of this room plus food, and the Navy will move your family to your next permanent duty station.

If you are on PCS orders, the base may or may not have housing available for single people. If they do, then you get your entire BAH deducted from your paycheck to live there, but you are also welcome to get an apartment in town. If they do not, then you have to go find a place in town.

It generally doesn't pay to live in base housing as a single officer. Find a roommate or two and get an apartment. You could be saving up to half of your BAH.

I know enlisted stays in barracks but I assumed it would be different for officers who don't have a spouse or children. :)
Single enlisted servicemembers in the Navy must live in the barracks up to E-4, provided that they are stationed at a base that has barracks. At E-4 they can get BAH and move into town with CO's permission. At E-5 they can move out and get BAH at their own discretion.

Married enlisted servicemembers may move out of the barracks and receive BAH at any rank.

Asterisk to the above: It depends on the base's availability, your marital status, the number of dependants you have, and the type of orders you receive.

If you are on TAD orders, they will generally stick you in a "BOQ," which is Navy speak for a hotel room. You get per diem which is supposed to cover the cost of this room plus food, and the Navy will move your family to your next permanent duty station.

If you are on PCS orders, the base may or may not have housing available for single people. If they do, then you get your entire BAH deducted from your paycheck to live there, but you are also welcome to get an apartment in town. If they do not, then you have to go find a place in town.

It generally doesn't pay to live in base housing as a single officer. Find a roommate or two and get an apartment. You could be saving up to half of your BAH.

Single enlisted servicemembers in the Navy must live in the barracks up to E-4, provided that they are stationed at a base that has barracks. At E-4 they can get BAH and move into town with CO's permission. At E-5 they can move out and get BAH at their own discretion.

Married enlisted servicemembers may move out of the barracks and receive BAH at any rank.

So if IWBC in Pensacola is an 8-week course then most likely I'll be put up in a hotel for that time?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As an officer, when you get your first orders after schooling and you report to your location, where do you reside?
As an Officer, it's pretty much up to you. Most prefer living off base (buying/renting), if reasonable housing available within commuting range.
Can you buy a house, apartment or are you required to stay in the barracks?
Officers do not live in barracks (don't know about SeaBees though). On base options include Bachelor Officers Quarters (BOQ - temporary or permanent), Base Officers Housing (permanent), or Navy Lodges (motel - temporary), That question didn't seem weird, but that's just me!;)
BzB

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."

Nice avatar Alex! First time I've ever seen one of my pics used that way.

skittle986

Thank you all for answering. I know after OCS I will be going to CECOS in Port Hueneme, CA. Most likely after that I will get my first orders in CA as well but I live in New York. That will be a big commute but i didn't think about the whole roommate situation. I guessI will start thinking about that now.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Thank you all for answering. I know after OCS I will be going to CECOS in Port Hueneme, CA. Most likely after that I will get my first orders in CA as well but I live in New York. That will be a big commute but i didn't think about the whole roommate situation. I guessI will start thinking about that now.

New York to California is indeed quite a commute. Better get some audiobooks.