• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Zero to SEAL. Enlisted vs. Officer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator2

I've just begun the process of applying to OCS. However, my primary interest is the SEAL team. According to persons in the know, the enlisted route is a more direct and simple alternative for aspiring SEAL canidates. Is this true?

Also, how difficult is the much fabled SEAL training over OCS?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gator2 said:
Also, how difficult is the much fabled SEAL training over OCS?

Fabled? I wasn't aware that SEAL training wasn't real.

And I didn't go through OCS, but I'll wager that 6+ months of BUDS is far more difficult than 2-3 months of OCS.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Also, SEAL billets are limited through OCS. If you were able to get your SPECWAR pin on the enlisted side, then go through OCS, one, OCS would be a complete joke, and two, you've already finished BUD/S, so you wouldn't have to worry about washing out.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
One of the guys from my ROTC unit tried to get into the SEALS. He was a PT stud and did really well at mini-BUDS. Unfortunately, there are so few SEAL officer slots open each year (~10-20) that he ended up being designated EOD, his second choice. He told me that some guys choose to refuse their comissions and enlist instead because there are far more enlisted SEAL slots.

nateb

I knew it. I'm surrounded by a**holes!
If you want a good idea of what BUD/S is like, a good book recently written is Dick Couch's The Warrior Elite.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
yeah, i just heard from someone in the board that one of our friends gave up his nrotc scholarship to enlist for specwar spot. of course, he'll do it after he graduates from college. but hey, i wouldn't mind being an EOD, because either way, you get to blow shiznits up.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
OCS is nothing compared to BUD/S. There were two guys in my class who went to BUD/S. Both rocked PT at OCS and maxxed out everything. One made it through BUD/S and is a SEAL, the other guy broke his leg twice and got sent to SWOS.

Also, keep in mind that if you decide to enlist in order to get to BUD/S, you can still attrite, and then you're left with serving the remainder of your enlistment. If you're going to be happy working some random enlisted rate if you fail, then have at it. If not, then I wouldn't recommend going that route. What's the worst that can happen if you put SEAL on your dream sheet at the officer recruiter's office? You get it. If you don't even try, though, you'll never get it.

You can also try calling Bupers and seeing how many specwar officer slots there are for the year so you know what you're up against. So what if there are only 10 for the year. There were only 10 slots for lateral transfer to NFO, and I got one of them. Hey...someone has to do it, might as well be you.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
I have HEARD..and im probably wrong..that as an enlisted, if you wash out of BUD/S you can reapply as many times as you want, but for an Officer if you wash out you are screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.