• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Zero Dark Thirty" Trailer

draad

Republicans have claimed that the studio was given improper access to classified materials to make the movie, and that this movie was to make Obama look good.
Whether they were classified materials or not, of all the material the Administration gave them, what percentage of that material do you think reflects poorly vs praises Obama? The fact that there WERE trying to release in October isn't a sign to you that they WERE trying to gain hype/influence the race? From his own words, Joel Edgerton says the reason they couldn't release in October is simply because they didn't finish shooting until July: http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/07/joel-edgerton-on-zero-dark-thirty-release-date/
Personally, I think Edgerton is just saying that as a facade, but regardless it's clear they WERE trying to release 1 MONTH prior to the election....and now they're not.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"All of the materials the administration gave them." Care to quantify that? Who says they were trying to release in October? Where are you getting this notion that there's some kind of political motive here? Without evidence (you know, facts and stuff), your claims don't hold much water.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
If the ads are already on TV and the internet, then the obvious political benefit is happening regardless of when the movie actually premieres.
Even thought the movie isn't released, you can bet the ads will get heavy play in the days leading up to the election.
One side gets all the benefits for the hype but doesn't face the risk that the movie is more this as opposed to that.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dude, there's literally a thousand reasons why a studio would push back a release date - shooting delays, reshoots, editing issues, contract disputes, distribution problems, etc etc etc., up to and including picking an opening weekend where they think the movie will perform better. Not wanting to look political isn't one of them. Not everything functions according to Beltway Rules.

Unless you've got some evidence besides "it was coming out BEFORE the election, now it's coming out AFTER...COINCIDENCE!?" you'd like to share?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

robav8r

None
Contributor
I do think there was some motivation to release the film comensurate with the election or just before. However, until & unless SOCOM raises a stink about what was released & when, it's a non issue (at least to me). Now, if ADM McRaven were to express some angst with who was told what and by whom . . . . . . that's another story.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
The onus is on the OP (or whoever it is) to present a case, not on others to show the opposite.

"I'm Harry Reid and I do not approve of this post"

HarryReidofficialportrait.jpg

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay, I'll play. Just for a goofy-ass comparison's sake, the GI Joe sequel was delayed from a release this June until next March.

The rumored reason: Duke (Channing Tatum's character) died in the first ten minutes, which test audiences didn't like. He's become a bigger box office deal than the studio anticipated after 21 Jump Street (so they want to keep him around for the rest of the franchise). And they didn't want a "Channing Tatum the Soldier" movie to compete with "Channing Tatum the Male Stripper" movie.

So in other words: money. Studios will delay a movie and/or make changes if they think it'll sell more tickets, period. At least two of the posters here asserted definitevely that Zero Dark Thirty was delayed for political reasons. I say that doesn't make any sense. It doesn't make Sony any money.

If the studio did have a political agenda, I would think it would favor the incumbent administration to release this movie right before the election. Deservedly or not, killing bin Laden is considered a defense/foreign policy success for Obama. So unless 1) the movie makes the Obama team look stupid, which I haven't heard, or 2) Sony is a right-wing organization and doesn't want to remind the electorate of the "Obama got bin Laden" meme, which I also haven't heard, I'd say it's an unfounded assertion.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Advocatus diaboli here: How do you know this? Evidence (you know, facts and stuff)?

It's actually a pretty regular thing that happens. Fester had a good example. Another one is Battlestar Galactica. Most of the last season was in the can but USA Networks wanted to wait almost a year before they aired it. Sadly, it was not worth the wait.

When Air Force One was released, there was another movie (well-known, but I can't remember which one) that actually moved it's release date because it didn't want to go up against Harrison Ford. You get the idea.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Missed my point. He (Fester) said that studios don't release/hold up releases for political reasons; I was just asking where THAT proof was.

However, being a political discussion on AW, ROE are flexible.

You're asking me to prove a negative?