• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yuppies trying to silence the Constitution

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't claim to be an expert, but AFAIK saluting guns are tiny little popgun-sized cannons. It's not like they're firing a full broadside twice daily.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I don't claim to be an expert, but AFAIK saluting guns are tiny little popgun-sized cannons. It's not like they're firing a full broadside twice daily.

They could give that a whirl for a week or two, then go back to the ceremonial guns. Maybe the morons would appreciate the difference.

It's reading things like this that aggravates me so much about the citizens in this country. Sometimes, I want to buy an island somewhere far from the US so I don't have to claim any of these douchers as my countrymen.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
They could give that a whirl for a week or two, then go back to the ceremonial guns. Maybe the morons would appreciate the difference.

It's reading things like this that aggravates me so much about the citizens in this country. Sometimes, I want to buy an island somewhere far from the US so I don't have to claim any of these douchers as my countrymen.

You can take a small measure of hope by perusing the reader comments in the Constitution article--most of them are not very friendly towards the noise complainants--which makes me happy :)

It's a pretty common thin on newspaper website reader comments anytime an article comes up about military noise complaints/"citizens" groups (NIMBY) particularly for NAS Oceana/Fentress, JSF (Valparaiso, FL), shoot, I bet even Bay Minette, AL airplane noise. At least it adds some amusement to my day... and you can sign on and make your own comments if you feel like venting! :D

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, I can't imagine this gaining much traction. The narrative of a bunch of wealthy late-comers complaining about a much loved & cherished tradition will be probably be squashed soon.
From http://www.bostonherald.com/news/re...sides_cannons_quiet_riot/srvc=home&position=0

Apparently if your high priced condos were built in the past decade next to a ship that has been around since the 1700s and firing daily since 1975 it is their fault for being there. Can't play the colors either - might offend the guests.
Does it say in the article that they don't want colors played? It says it wants the National Anthem turned down.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd like to give them benefit of the doubt and say that these complaints are driven by the one or two self-appointed "spokesmen/leaders" every condo or homeowner's association seems to generate, not the true majority opinion. Cynical as I am about the Great American Public, I find it hard to believe that the majority would think they'd get far with asking a historic military unit to stop saluting the flag and turn down the national anthem because it's causing them a mild inconvenience, even in a liberal enclave like Beantown.

Anyway, Boston has to know that Constitution is only kept there as a tourist attraction. If the Navy simply wanted her in commission for tradition's sake, it'd be a lot easier to tie her up at Newport, Groton or Norfolk.

Cleonard19

Contributor
Other nearby residents agreed, including 52-year-old Elizabeth Ames, who lives in a luxury development called The Nautica.

“This is the heart of the city’s history,” Ames said. “If you don’t like it, don’t live here.”

I think this is the general consensus of the rest of the population too. Move your Yuppie ass somewhere else.

And from the article, it seems they don't use ceremonial guns, they use a four foot charge in two guns twice a day. THIS is the sound of freedom. Deal with it, or GTFO.

Angels

Contributor
Sad. I thought something and then kept reading and saw it was the last line of the article.

Other nearby residents agreed, including 52-year-old Elizabeth Ames, who lives in a luxury development called The Nautica.
“This is the heart of the city’s history,” Ames said. “If you don’t like it, don’t live here.”

EDIT: Crap, you beat me to it!

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'd like to give them benefit of the doubt and say that these complaints are driven by the one or two self-appointed "spokesmen/leaders" every condo or homeowner's association seems to generate, not the true majority opinion.

Ah, the Little Hitlers of the world. The best thing to do is just ignore them. Anything else just gives their empty little "causes" hope.

"have you tried going mad without power? it's boring, no one listens to you."

Russ-Cargill-702791.bmp

mjulian

Lingerer
one of the greatest freedoms that we as US citizens have, is the freedom of choice. it is their choice to live where they do. if a city was too hot, they would move. if a city didnt have the amenities they wanted, they would move. this city so happens to harbor the most prolific naval vessel in the US history that fires its cannons ceremoniously, they should move. i would personally move the ship to the closest possible position to the condos, aim the cannons straight at them, and fire off the cannons until the uhauls showed up at the front door.

Cleonard19

Contributor
one of the greatest freedoms that we as us citizens have, is the freedom of choice. It is their choice to live where they do. If a city was too hot, they would move. If a city didnt have the amenities they wanted, they would move. This city so happens to harbor the most prolific naval vessel in the us history that fires its cannons ceremoniously, they should move. I would personally move the ship to the closest possible position to the condos, aim the cannons straight at them, and fire off the cannons until the uhauls showed up at the front door.

+1

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
i would personally move the ship to the closest possible position to the condos, aim the cannons straight at them, and fire off the cannons until the uhauls showed up at the front door.

+1

Yet another one of the 'sounds of freedom'!

clonei09

Living across the water from the constitution I can say that yes the cannons are very loud but no one seems to care. In fact most people I have talked to really appreciate it as a way to mark the time passing. I can only guess which condo these people are complaining from but if its in the navy yard district then both of them are no more than a few years old so they knew what they were moving next to. I was on the phone with my mom two weeks ago when they were doing a turn around cruise and fired off all the guns to salute the constitutions birthday and I could clearly hear them even through the phone. Again no one around my family ever minds they really appreciate it. . They go off every day at 8 am and then at sunset which doesn't disrupt anything especially since its just one shot each time, by the time anyone will register what the sound is, its already over and done with. I also find it amusing that they don't complain about any of the departures from logan airport which occur all day and all night which are much louder than the cannons and fly right over the old navy yard I think its just a bunch of yuppies trying to complain about something in which they don't truly grasp the significance of.

Cleonard19

Contributor

Yeah, I'd say its a little loud. Its also tradition. I think they should fire all cannons twice a day for a week, then see how many people complain about the one.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
This is the same thing we hear from people who move next to a military airfiield and then complain that the jets are too loud. (Oceana and Miramar both had this issue)

Then you get the old lady who bought a house right on the water of San Diego Bay and is no complaining that the waves from the ships is causing her backyard to errode into the Bay. She's specifically pissed that two more carriers are going to be stationed at North Island.

There are some people who will always complain regardless of what happens. They will find that other two or three people who also like to complain and form a group.
They will then approach what ever is the cause de'jur and claim they represent a larger faction and request removal of whatever is pissing them off.

Basically these people are the civillian equivilant of France....