• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

You've probably heard this before...

red92gt

NFO? no. SNA? not yet. FNG? yep.
Hey all...my name is Chris, I'm (obviously) new to the forums.
Here's the basic story, I'm sure you've all heard it a million times- I've wanted to fly as a career for longer than I can remember. I'm exploring all of my options right now, I am going to do anything I can to ensure that come graduation I will be on my way to flight school.Right now I'm 19, and a freshman at GVSU, a Michigan college. I've been accepted to the Citadel for next year, and my current plans are to join the AFROTC and do whatever it takes to attempt to get a flight slot. I've also been looking into Marine OCS, I'm talking to an OCO on Wednesday. However, I need the opinions of people that aren't recruiters. Here's what I know so far: When you join in with the Marines, you get a flight contract (they like to call it a "guarantee"). This is about the end of my knowledge so far.. I know that in order to actually fly you have to complete OCS, basic school, and flight school. However, I know that there have to be countless hidden variables. It just seems so much easier than my current route. The AF wants me to have a certain major, have a 3.8 gpa, get an insane score on the AFOQT, basically be the best of the best. And even then I'm not guaranteed any flight slot. And now I hear that I can waltz into the Corps and, providing that I can be a good leader and complete my training, flight school will fall into my lap? I know it has to be much more complicated than that. I'm sorry to have written a novel, but I would really appreciate any information anyone could give me, I'm going crazy trying to make all of these decisions. Thanks much in advance

-Chris

Also, I don't mean to use "waltz into the Corps" in a literal sense...I have at least a civilian's understanding of what it means to be a Marine, and I understand that it's no easy feat to become a part of the Corps. No offense meant

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
red,

since you're going to the Citadel, I'd also advise looking at the USMC option for NROTC...

Welcome to the board and good luck.
-Bubba

Raptor2216

Red,

I had the same feeling about "waltzing into the Marine Corps" all though college. When I applied 3-4 years ago, I didn't spend a lot of time deciding. I didn't even know a thing about the Marines. The only thing I was sure of was that I wanted to be a pilot. I was planning on going into the Navy or the AF. Lucky for me, I decided to take some flying lessons at a local airport and my instructor turned out to be a Marine reservist who had completed PLC Jr's.

When he told me about the whole "guarantee" of a pilot slot, I nearly flipped. At first I was reluctant to even believe him. A few days later, I found my way to the local OSO's office and completed all my paper work within a month or so. Another month later, I found out that I had been accepted. At this point I was in my second year of college. Needless to say, I was excited like no other knowing that I was that much closer to my dream. Now, having completed OCS and currently doing IFS, I can honestly say that this is the best decision I have made in life so far. Knowing that I had this contract helped me get though college. I might not have finished if I didn't have this contract to motivate me.

Now, waking up every morning in my room at graves hall and knowing that I am just 7 months away from starting what I would have given anything for really puts life into perspective and I have the Marine Corps to thank for giving me the chance. The AF and Navy might give their members a more comfortable life style but I would not change my decision for anything in the world.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
The Marines is one of the best options for you. You will indeed see the light after talking to the OSO. Wish you the best of luck!

ItsTurboTime

And don't be afraid to listen to the OSO. Unlike recruiters, it's to his/her advantage to send you to OCS and have you make it. He/She won't just feed you sunshine and lollypops to get you to sign on the line.

...until they want you to apply NFO then switch your contract to SNA. That's a crock, don't listen to that.

Navyfan06

pilot
Red- I am currently a Citadel cadet and will graduate in May. Several of my classmates are USMC PLC- Air Contracted. Here is kind of the deal here at El Cid wrt NROTC and other stuff. First off..are you going to graduate in 3 years or 4 from The Citadel, the only reason why I ask is because, although there are some, there are not that many transfer students at The Citadel. Class loyalty is a pretty big deal, but some of my close friends who did knob (freshmen) year with me did graduate early. If you already have a year of school under your belt, graduate early! With that being said, I would not enroll in AFROTC if your main goal is to become a pilot, here are the reasons I have:

I have to admit, I think it is harder to get a pilot slot from the AF than the USN/USMC- 3 guys/gals from The Cid this year got AF pilot contracts, about that same number got nav contracts - and your right about the numbers, ALL of them had like 3.7-4.0 GPA's/Out the wazoo AFOQT scores, ect, ect, I know this because one of my best friends got an AF pilot slot.

On the Navy side of the house (my side) the guys and gals who got Navy SNA Contracts had about a 3.3-3.7 GPA and all did pretty decent on the ASTB I know one person who had the bare min's for the ASTB and got a slot..all of them are good folks who are active in the unit too. Also a few others got NFO contracts and I think (my personal observation) is that the reason they got those is either because it was their first choice or their first choice was SNA and they didn’t make the GPA cut. We had 8 people get pilot slots.

Granted this is just my view from The Citadel, things may be different else where. Your priorities should be to:
1. Make the best grades you can - the higher the GPA the higher your chances of getting what you want. If you decide to go the USMC PLC route, they still want good grades and the like.
2. Participate in all the ROTC activities - It doesn’t matter what service you end up going into...participate in their activities...
3. Also I would suggest you start the process early - if you want to go USMC PLC - contact that recruiter early to get the paperwork started- he might tell you to call back later, but it shows you’re interested. If your going to do AF or NROTC - get started early - I see some Knobs who decide not to enroll in the college program (they opt to just take the class) because they don't want to get up early/don't want to do this/ ect ect - This is because your time is precious and to have more of it sucked away stinks, but it is sacrifice I am sure you will be happy about later.

If you have any questions at all either PM me or just leave a post. As a senior, life is good and I can’t wait to go to flight school. :) :) :)

TheGreatWaldo

pilot
If all you're worried about is getting a "pilot slot" in whatever branch, then yes, the PLC route is probably easiest to obtain one. The "guarantee" means that the Marine Corps will give you a shot at pilot training, considering you complete and pass your flight physical, OCS, and TBS. Keep in mind that OCS will probably be the hardest 10-12 weeks of your life, and TBS is 6 months of additional training after you graduate from college.
Getting a pilot slot in any of the other services (via ROTC) just means that you have to compete a little more to obtain that slot, but once you get it, the same "guarantee" applies, however, the only "intense" training you will recieve is about 4-6 weeks during one summer. It's really not that hard to get a pilot slot through ROTC. In my AFROTC experience I maybe saw 1 guy not get a pilot slot that deserved it. If you know what you want, then go and get it. If you're scared of competition now, then you're in the wrong business. If you go ROTC, you go straight to pilot training after graduation.
I think you should pick the service that fits you best and then go for a slot. I've seen a lot of guys drop the program during OCS because it was too hard and the only reason they came in the first place was because of the "guaranteed aviation". I've also seen a lot of guys drop out of pilot training. Are you going to want to be in the Airforce/Marines/Navy if you can't fly? Just some food for thought. Good luck with your decision. Shout with any questions.

SamTheEagle

Chris...
I'm a student Naval Aviator commissioned through NROTC, but I was sent to Moody AFB for Primary training. The difference between the Air Force and every other service is that almost every person who joins the Air Force wants to fly. This makes for very stiff competition to get pilot slots out of any Air Force commissioning program. However, over my four years at Naval ROTC, I haven't seen anyone who was medically qualified get rejected for pilot training. I strongly recommend looking into ROTC. The PLC route is good too, and the pilot "guarantee" is for real. The only problems are that they won't pay for school like ROTC will, and you have to go through OCS and TBS.

Raptor2216

Slight correction here. The Marines will pay for your school with their TAP and FAP programs. You get plenty of money for every quarter or semester. I only took the FAP money, which was something like 1800/semester. I believe the TAP program gives you something like $5,000/year. Someone correct me if i'm wrong or better yet, look it up on the web. I'd do it for you but i'm in a bit of a hurry here.

SamTheEagle said:
Chris...
I'm a student Naval Aviator commissioned through NROTC, but I was sent to Moody AFB for Primary training. The difference between the Air Force and every other service is that almost every person who joins the Air Force wants to fly. This makes for very stiff competition to get pilot slots out of any Air Force commissioning program. However, over my four years at Naval ROTC, I haven't seen anyone who was medically qualified get rejected for pilot training. I strongly recommend looking into ROTC. The PLC route is good too, and the pilot "guarantee" is for real. The only problems are that they won't pay for school like ROTC will, and you have to go through OCS and TBS.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
red92gt, You seem to have the basics down. The next step is to talk to an OSO. The OSO for GVSU (all of west Michigan for that matter) is out of E.Lansing. PM me if you want his contact info.

S/F Doc

Carno

Insane
P_ubhi18 said:
Slight correction here. The Marines will pay for your school with their TAP and FAP programs. You get plenty of money for every quarter or semester. I only took the FAP money, which was something like 1800/semester. I believe the TAP program gives you something like $5,000/year. Someone correct me if i'm wrong or better yet, look it up on the web. I'd do it for you but i'm in a bit of a hurry here.
Yeah but taking that money means other things, like moving your base pay date back until you commission, or adding another 6 months to your contract.

You also gotta pay it back if you're a non-hacker.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
I think everyone seems to be forgetting the Navy Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program. If you are accepted, big if for Pilot, you are guaranteed to go in as a pilot, you get E-3 pay while still in college; you are acutally in the military where we are paying you, housing allowance and all, no haircuts, drill or uniforms. Go to OCS after graduation. Great program but like I said, extremely competetive for Pilot. It will be much easier for you get into the USMC.

BTW, the last time I checked OSO's were recruiters.

Raptor2216

Carno said:
Yeah but taking that money means other things, like moving your base pay date back until you commission, or adding another 6 months to your contract.

You also gotta pay it back if you're a non-hacker.

Sure that's all true but that doesn't make much of a difference in the long run. Take me for example. I only took the FAP money and here I am paying off student loans. I have to pay off a grand total of 25K and where will that money come from? It has to come from my paycheck, of course. What makes it even worse is the fact that my pay is taxed so I lose out again. If I had taken the TAP money in college, it would have been untaxed and I wouldn't be paying off these loans now. As far as the additional time goes, if i'm going to putting in atleast 8 years as a pilot, then what will an additional 6 months hurt?

If someone is a "non-hacker" then it doesn't make a difference whether you are in the Navy, MC, or AF. If you took money from any one of them, they will find a way to get it back. Now, how they choose to do it will differ but the final result is the same.

Ex Rigger

pilot
Yup, the Marines are interested in making you an all around weapon, a minister of death praying for War.
koolaid.jpg
.......;)