• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your Thoughts

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know a few Marines who were not dead set on being Marines (officer & enlisted) that love being in The Corps and wouldn't want to do anything else.
Exactly. In fact, I was really surprised by some of the guys/girls that went Marine Corps out of my Academy class. Yeah, you had your moto/hoorah people who wanted Marines from Induction Day on, but you also had a lot of people who decided on the Marines after being exposed to it at USNA, which is the entire point of the summer training program at the Academy.

Personally, I had never thought of the Marines prior to USNA. Although I ended up Navy, I seriously considered the Marines due to the caliber of the Marine instructors/senior enlisted that I met at the Academy. To say that you have to be dead set on being a Marine is just completely wrong.

beaver_believer

MIDN 1/c (Navy Option) - just service selected SNFO.

Quote: And if you aren't dead set on being a Marine… you aren't meant to be one.

Guess that didn't come out quite the way I had intended. What I was getting at is from my (limited) observations, the Marines tend to do a pretty good job of weeding out those that they don't want, and those who aren't really determined to be there. That could just be the culture here, though.

I think that whatever you do in life, you should pursue it with passion. The Navy and Marines are both outstanding choices, but I wouldn't join one service over another just to be closer to home for a while.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Congrats on the SNFO, see you down here soon. Yes, they do the same "weeding out" process at the Academy. I know some guys who were dead set on Marines who didn't get it because the selection board didn't think they were a good fit.

Because the Academy gives you an opportunity to explore all of the different options prior to making a decision (fall of senior year), you also get a kind of self "weeding out" process, as people experience the different communities and find out the one that fits them the best.

Bevo16

pilot
Way back when I was applying to officer programs, I was in the same position that you were. I had a spots at both the Academy and ROTC that I could take, and I choose ROTC.

Why? Several reasons.

I had already been enlisted for a couple of years, and with that experience under my belt I felt that I didn't NEED the strict life of a USNA freshman. When I graduated from High School, I DID NEED the structure that the Navy had to offer. I had the grades to go to college right away and money was not a problem. I just knew that I was more interested in beer and chasing skirt than I was basic college courses, so I enlisted. A couple of years later, I had grown up some. I knew what beer tasted like, had caught some skirt, and had learned the study habits that I would need to be successful in college.

I was also somewhat homesick. Now, there are different levels of homesick. I was not crying in my bed wishing for mommy and daddy, but I know that my parents are not going to live forever and going to school an hour and a half from home allowed me to head down to my folks house and go fishing with my dad on the weekend if I wanted to. It was also a good mental break from school, and my mom was always happy to cook me 3 square meals whenever I showed up. If enjoying that makes me a wimp, then I guess I am a wimp. You can't do that stuff if you are at the Academy.

It sounds to me like the original poster is doing a good job of self evaluation and is looking to put themself in a situation where they will find success. Good job. Just because you think you will be homesick at 18 does not disqualify you for military service. The 4 years of college, 3 summer cruises, and all of the training will help with that. You don't have to show up for college with the mid-set required for a wartime deployment. You have to show up for college ready for college. Go to the environment that you think you will do best in. San Diego is cool. Expensive, but cool.

Good luck.

sickboy

pilot
I wanted USNA for the longest time, didn't get it and went NROTC. I've had the time of my life at PSU and can't imagine it any other way. I'm glad I didn't go to the boat school.

bulldog31

Waiver info- color vision issues

I am an applicant for USNA/USAFA and ROTC. Recently I realized I am not PPQ because on my DODMERB test I did not do well on the color vision test. I have 20/15 eyesight and have never been told I have color issues. I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a waiver. I know I will need to take the other test but dont know who might give it. Is any eye doctor allowed to give the test if he has the equipment? Thanks for any help!

Proxie

pilot
former MIDN and current aviator...

I am an applicant for USNA/USAFA and ROTC. Recently I realized I am not PPQ because on my DODMERB test I did not do well on the color vision test. I have 20/15 eyesight and have never been told I have color issues. I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a waiver. I know I will need to take the other test but dont know who might give it. Is any eye doctor allowed to give the test if he has the equipment? Thanks for any help!
Real quick to answer your question, you can not fly and have any color blindness. You could lie (i.e. memorize the cards) but believe me, flying back at night (to the boat) and not being able to distinguish night stars from the landing lights is no way to perish at sea...

To answer the young lady's initial statement, I was born and raised in San Diego. I was slightly on the fence about attending Annapolis. We all get homesick. Once your in the military, you'll have no choice but to get use to it. The homesickness will pass because your day to day life will become all consuming. It may seem like there aren't too many pros and A LOT of cons about attending a Military Academy in general, but believe me, you'll still make a lot of friends, enjoy your time there, and when its all over, you'll be glad you went.
You decide for yourself, it the Academic load it too much for you. Yes, you will have worked toward a general eng. degree and the degree you select. You have 2 years to decide if the Marine Corps if for you, oh (AND BY THE WAY) you have to interview for selection. It may be what you'd like to do, but NOT get selected for Marine Corps. Current Academy grads please clarify that for me.
If you have any questions about the Academy, the Marine Corps, Aviation, etc. please let me know. I'm in the USNAAASD club so I might see you at a Blue and Gold Event. -Proxie

Daisy

My dad tells me that the Academy will open up the most opportunities in my life (especially civilian).

My friend's son went MCROTC in college. He served his commitment 8 years active duty (iirc) and is now a hedge fund manager. That's quite an opportunity.

He did get an MBA but I don't remember where.