• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your Tax Dollars at Work

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
You hate to see this: An F-22 canopy being removed "the hard way" after it stuck in the down & locked position, with the pilot still inside...

It is an ejection seat aircraft and as a "just in case" measure. If the ejection seat goes off then the fire suits would be a good idea, that and not to lean over the canopy. When ever an ejection seat is armed caution must be taken.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Canopy replacement...priceless

Mefesto said:
Thanks for the lesson :icon_smil Unless something is seriously wrong (or he's brain farted)... he's sitting on a safe seat. And IF the seat were to go off, the motor only burns for a 1/4 of a second, they'll have bigger problems then a burn.

Saw this in a USAF brief quoting replacement cost of $182K...hope that's not true

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dude, it's the AF. I once had to declare an emergency for a violently ill crewmember (not airsickness, more along the lines of dysentary). They rolled out every firetruck, ambulance, and Security Force vehicle on the base. It was a gaddamn circus. I'll tell you what, those guys do not fear prop arcs, either.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
1 Super High Tech Fighter Jet: $338,000,000

F-22%20shadow.jpg

1 Highly Trained Air Force Fighter Pilot: $2,854,026
fighter_pilot.jpg

"Your tax dollars at work..."
[See above...]

Priceless.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Mefesto said:
1.) If that's the way to do it, why not just jettison it.

2.) Why the frick are they in full gear and masks????

(1) Because jettisoning canopies while standing still usually results in a "Wiley Coyote episode" where the canopy goes up and comes down on the jet. Bad enough on a Prowler where the canopies (replacement $250K each thanks to gold film and scarcity) really bad on a F-22 where you crunch a whole lot of LO stuff on the turtleback.

(2) Because it's the frickin Air Force. If an SOP says you do it that way, by god do it that way. Initative and common sense are not encouraged.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
BlaZe said:
edit:

Banned for being a complete moron.

There wasn't 20 seconds between when I read his post and decided to quote him and he is already banned. That really must be a new record ;p

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
eddie said:
1 Super High Tech Fighter Jet: $338,000,000

1 Highly Trained Air Force Fighter Pilot: $2,854,026
fighter_pilot.jpg

Priceless.

If an Air Force fighter pilot is worth 2.8 mil, then how much for a Navy fighter pilot?

Oh yeah, I would be more worried about the det cord than the seat going off. If something set that off, then all that glass would really suck.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Pugs said:
Bad enough on a Prowler where the canopies (replacement $250K each thanks to gold film and scarcity) really bad on a F-22 where you crunch a whole lot of LO stuff on the turtleback.
It's bad enough anyway - they ended up scratching the sh!t out of the LO when they were dragging away the sliced off canopy. You'd think they might have thought of that possible outcome somewhere in the 5 hours of deliberation it took before they cut the canopy off - but then again, since it wasn't on a handy checklist they didn't think to do it.

Whalebite

How is Gods name does it cost almost 200k for some plexiglass? I could make a mold and vaccuform one for 200.00$ I realise there must be some high teck there, but 180 grand?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whalebite said:
How is Gods name does it cost almost 200k for some plexiglass? I could make a mold and vaccuform one for 200.00$ I realise there must be some high teck there, but 180 grand?

This amount is child's play...military spec is the key word here.