• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your retirement plans . . .

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Some 29 years and 8 months ago we took out a 30 year mortgage, assuming we’d never ever see the end of it. Assumed we would “house up” or just move at some point. In April we will have paid it off and literally have zero debt. Feels good already.
This is probably the weakest point in my retirement. I moved a lot for work, probably 12 times, and never seriously considered permanent housing. I did buy and sell some homes, always at a tidy profit, but this year got caught up in the rising mortgage rate thing and feel it. Of course, I can refinance through the VA when rates drop and I have a “plan” to pay it off sooner, but I do wish I didn’t have a mortgage at this time in my life.

robav8r

None
Contributor
This is probably the weakest point in my retirement. I moved a lot for work, probably 12 times, and never seriously considered permanent housing. I did buy and sell some homes, always at a tidy profit, but this year got caught up in the rising mortgage rate thing and feel it. Of course, I can refinance through the VA when rates drop and I have a “plan” to pay it off sooner, but I do wish I didn’t have a mortgage at this time in my life.
In the same boat. I suspect many are as well. We hope to sell the place we’re in now in 4 to 5 years commensurate with quitting my job, taking SS, and then downsizing a bit. I‘m hopeful the profit we make from this house combined with our EXFIL from Loudoun county will significantly reducing the housing portion of our budget. On another note, just found out jury duty is in my future in the next two weeks so that should be interesting if nothing else 😳

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
… with our EXFIL from Loudoun county will significantly reducing the housing portion of our budget…
Is your EXFIL west or south? I toyed with the idea of staying in Virginia and relocating to the Lynchburg/Roanoke area but on review that created more problems than I already had.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
VA will treat your service-connected disabilities at any rating.
40% gets you medical coverage for anything (except prescriptions not related to your service-connected disabilities.
50% gets you everything.

One caveat...the VA doesn't cover dental unless a service-connected disability includes dental issues.

I've been using the VA as my PCM, and as I mentioned in another thread, I'm about to fire them. It's no better than trying to use Navy medical while on active duty, except you don't have a flight surgeon acting as your advocate, which makes it worse. Plus it's like if you had to do everything at the hospital on base, which moves at the speed of slow as it is, and the VA is even slower.

And EVERYTHING needs a referral, even when you know what it is. I've tried using the message system to expedite a referral and was still told I needed to see my PCM...in two+ months. I could go on, but I'll stop my rant.

taxi1

pilot
VA will treat your service-connected disabilities at any rating.
40% gets you medical coverage for anything (except prescriptions not related to your service-connected disabilities.
50% gets you everything.

Like @SynixMan mentioned, if you have a family the VA doesn't really help there.
I was behind the 8-ball on this. I am a member of the 1 in 8 guys that are going to get prostate cancer (just on active surveillance now) and it never occurred to me that getting it at 61 would be service connected. A few months ago I saw that the VA has tied it to burn pits (of which Djibouti, Iraq, and Afghanistan had plenty) put in the claim with all of the doctor stuff attached, expected to have to undergo a physical or exam or something, but got a note saying lo and behold I am 100% disabled. I missed out on a year of $3900/month tax free by my ignorance. Doh.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was behind the 8-ball on this. I am a member of the 1 in 8 guys that are going to get prostate cancer (just on active surveillance now) and it never occurred to me that getting it at 61 would be service connected. A few months ago I saw that the VA has tied it to burn pits (of which Djibouti, Iraq, and Afghanistan had plenty) put in the claim with all of the doctor stuff attached, expected to have to undergo a physical or exam or something, but got a note saying lo and behold I am 100% disabled. I missed out on a year of $3900/month tax free by my ignorance. Doh.
You also qualify for full dental now: https://www.va.gov/health-care/about-va-health-benefits/dental-care/

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
They do have a blood test for the prostate now, A lot more dignified way of getting results.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Great thread topic.

If I ever get my kids off the payroll...

53, 0-4 retirement, VA service connected, that is all pretty much extra money. Lawyer now for over 5 years and plan on practicing all out until 60.
Last of 3 daughters should be through college. Should have the modest mortgage paid off well before then. Thankfully, good health for all.

Trying to keep some semblance of rescue swimmer fitness...that's the key as we get older. VA actually reached out to me with suggestions to increase rating. Good comment on the "dignified" VA blood screening home test. Thought that was interesting. FedVip for dental insurance is so-so.

Going to Costa Rica for the umpteenth time this Spring. Like to have a stake in a seasonal property down there. Food is great, surf is great...
Pura Vida.

Nosara June 2021.png

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
I retired 100% P&T so I use mostly VA (medical/dental) for myself, Tricare for my wife and kids medical, and whatever my company offers for vision/dental for my wife and kids. It’s working very nicely financially overall. The worst part is the long wait times for VA dental appointments so I can get approval for community care for some of the dental work I’ve needed. But paying zero dollars for a root canal is nice.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Is your EXFIL west or south? I toyed with the idea of staying in Virginia and relocating to the Lynchburg/Roanoke area but on review that created more problems than I already had.
Probably a 180 deg arc, 180 to 360 with a radius not to exceed 2 hours from our current location. Want to stay relatively close to a good airport and all the upper middle class shopping options. Question: anyone have any good web resources for checking on crime stats in a given area?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Probably a 180 deg arc, 180 to 360 with a radius not to exceed 2 hours from our current location. Want to stay relatively close to a good airport and all the upper middle class shopping options. Question: anyone have any good web resources for checking on crime stats in a given area?
Crime “heat mapping” is the best way. Try this…location can be adjusted.

taxi1

pilot
They do have a blood test for the prostate now, A lot more dignified way of getting results.
They can check your PSA with the blood test, but it will take a biopsy to close the deal.

I still have my FAA up chit, but have to jump through some hoops now to get an annual waiver since I am not treating it.

If anyone has questions, I’m pretty well gouged up.