• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your opinion about if I am going in pretty good direction for OCS?

Samantha1991

I am a 19 year old female and was majoring in Math for Secondary Education. However, as I began the education courses I decided I really didn't want to be a teacher. My dad went to the Naval Academy and spent his life serving in the Navy; hence, I have always had interest in joining. I am athletic and love to work out, so I decided I don't want to teach anymore and am going to join the Navy. I was just wondering, I switched my degree to just majoring in math so now instead of graduating in Spring 2013, so I'll be done Spring 2012. Anyways, I was just wondering is majoring in math a good choice, graduating early, and starting to meet with a recruiter in the summer of 2011 a good choice to try and get into OCS?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Maybe you could speak with the ROTC unit at your school as well. You are too far along to get a scholarship, but maybe you can still apply for advanced standing and save yourself a trip to OCS. At the very least, you could get an idea of what's expected from you when reporting to Newport.

lowster

I don't think it matters that you changed. I am a secondary ed Math and just got pro-rec'd SNA in the November Board. Just make sure the rest of your application is in top shape. Keep that GPA up and you may want to switch back to your original major. I look at it like this: Whenever I am done and old, I may still want to teach so I kept my teaching degree. The NAVY will pay for your education if selected for BDCP. Lots of options for you.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Although you father's may not "say it" at this point- I'd be willing to bet that he's quite proud of you for showing interest and initiative. Do a lot of searches and ask when you can't find answers. You've come to the right place. Best of luck.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I am a 19 year old female and was majoring in Math for Secondary Education. However, as I began the education courses I decided I really didn't want to be a teacher. My dad went to the Naval Academy and spent his life serving in the Navy; hence, I have always had interest in joining. I am athletic and love to work out, so I decided I don't want to teach anymore and am going to join the Navy. I was just wondering, I switched my degree to just majoring in math so now instead of graduating in Spring 2013, so I'll be done Spring 2012. Anyways, I was just wondering is majoring in math a good choice, graduating early, and starting to meet with a recruiter in the summer of 2011 a good choice to try and get into OCS?
Welcome to the site, and another great first post. Seems like we are on a roll with first time posters able to put together coherent thoughts! :D

You have already gotten some sound advice in this thread. But for my 2 cents, your degree doesn't really matter. Your GPA and other competitive factors will matter when seeking a respective community. Here are a couple good posts put together by other members of the forum that may help you out:

Getting your commission: The condensed version
Recruiters
Does College Major matter?
Applying for a Naval Commission
Stats and Scores
When to apply

Once again, welcome to the site, and best of luck.